1918 (I believe) Studebaker Fire Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1918 (I believe) Studebaker Fire Truck

Yesterday we visited Oatman, Arizona where a Studebaker Fire truck resides. I estimate it to be approximately a 1918. While enjoying a libation I spoke with the barkeep(Jimmy) at Judy's Saloon who happens to be with the Oatman fire department. He indicated that as they have a roadworthy Seagrave used for special occasions, the Studebaker may be for sale. I indicated it should be in the Studebaker Museum in South Bend. If anyone can further this, pm me and I can pass on some contact info.
    To view the truck, youtube " Oatman Fire Department AZ 2009 " for a short video clip.
    Thanks, Bill

I believe it is an 18. The military in the first world war built these for ambulances most likely built for the military to a military spec. In civilian life there were many uses.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05599.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1711685Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05600.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1711686

Comment

Where are you at in AZ, Buzzard? I am in Apache Junction right now, and for a very few days more. Even have a Lark here. Shoot me a PM if you want to meet up.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

No I am not there now but I have been to Apache Junction. I didn't see the Stude fire truck just the utube version I wish I was there, just snow and cold here. A local fire department in White Rock has restored an 18 Stude as a fire truck. Some years ago a local fabricating shop converted several 18s in to fire apparatus.

Comment

Bill-
          Just a warning to not be disappointed if the museum declines to accept it unless they have the authority to sell it. I can't comment on their particular needs, but I know that their want list is pretty short, and they have no room to store vehicles that are unlikely to ever be displayed. I have looked at a couple of potential donations for them and though they accepted them as gifts, they did so with the understanding that they would be sold as a fund-raising mechanism.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

There's a privately owned museum not far from me that has several Studebakers, and he has a thing for fire trucks. Most of his massive collection is early prewar. If the 1918 comes up for sale, I'll be happy to pass along the info.

Comment

Hi gordr,
              I'm in the very central west part of the state, Route 66 to be exact overlooking the Colorado River, across from Needles California. We are planning to travel to your area in January to Chuck Naugles'. Perhaps we could hook up.
              Cheers, Bill

Comment

Working...
              X