PDA

View Full Version : Shocks 57 Commander shocks

tim333
12-22-2016, 08:52 AM
What shocks do you fellas recommend for a 57 Commander 4dr with a 259? Lining up my winter projects.

r1lark
12-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Tim, I use the Gabriel gas shocks on several of my Studebakers. They have worked well on all the cars, except for the front of my '64 Lark 6 cylinder -- I felt they were too stiff for the lighter front end.

Here are what I used on my '62 Hawk, and your '57 should be the same:
Front Gabriel 82087
Rear Gabriel 82151

These show up on AutoZone's website for $22 each. Autozone runs a lot of online sales, free shipping, etc so you may be able to get them cheaper. Check around on price, but I think that is what most places sell them for. Rockauto.com may have them, check with them too.

tim333
12-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Thanks Paul, Merry Christmas. $76.53 with Save20 coupon code and free shipping.

Buzzard
12-22-2016, 12:36 PM
For my '57 Clipper Wagon I have Koni 82-1184 fronts and 82-1425 rears. If you can find them, in my opinion I feel they are the finest shocks money can buy.
Bill

PackardV8
12-22-2016, 02:56 PM
For my '57 Clipper Wagon I have Koni 82-1184 fronts and 82-1425 rears. If you can find them, in my opinion I feel they are the finest shocks money can buy. Bill

Agree, Bill. Any suggestions on sellers?

jack vines

Buzzard
12-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Seasons Greetings Jack.
Seeing as I believe all Koni's are rebuildable, I would chase down a local Koni representative (used to be Culpepper Virginia) and see if he could pull some strings in Holland (where most were originally made). The fronts are similar to 70-81 TransAm and Camaro-all that would be required is a lower pin change(it has to be wider). The rep should be able to come up with something close for the rear as I believe there were two different mounts on Stude rears.
Another possibility is:
http://www.shocks2springs.com/
As these guys state, they customize the tube type shocks for various applications. All that would be required is a Koni of similar specifications, just different mounting. Remember these Konis are fully adjustable so you can dial them in to your personal preference for ride comfort, handling etc.
Good luck and post here if you are successful.
Cheers, Bill

PS: If you have a bunch of time, you could also chase down obsolete/classic Koni shock distributors on the internet and call them with the part numbers I provided above. You need to speak to a human being as most simply look up their computer inventory and say "no". I got a lot of NOS inventory for my Packard in this manner-it just takes someone to go and physically look on the shelves for the dusty units. Good Hunting-it will be worth it!

PackardV8
12-23-2016, 03:16 PM
PS: If you have a bunch of time, you could also chase down obsolete/classic Koni shock distributors on the internet and call them with the part numbers I provided above.

Hi, Bill, BTDT and unfortunately, same answer today as was the case ten years ago, "NLA".

"Classic Garage - largest, best source for Koni. Sorry we do not have anymore of these discontinued shocks for Avanti. Best to try to have yours rebuilt. Good luck."

jack vines

StudeRich
12-23-2016, 03:58 PM
/Cut/Here are what I used on my '62 Hawk, and your '57 should be the same:
Front Gabriel 82087
Rear Gabriel 82151

These show up on AutoZone's website for $22 each. Autozone runs a lot of online sales, free shipping, etc so you may be able to get them cheaper. Check around on price, but I think that is what most places sell them for. Rockauto.com may have them, check with them too.

OR, buy them from a smaller Studebaker Vendor, and keep them around for when you actually NEED a "Dealer Only" NOS Part, for only about $108.00 a set of 4. ;) Your choice.

UPDATE: I see that Auto Zone also recommends the KYB # KG4550 For: '63-'82 Corvette, '59-'64 Impala, '57-'66 Studebaker + Avanti, Front Shocks at $70.99 Each.
Has anyone tried these, is it a good upgrade? Worth it, at 142.00 a Set?

Buzzard
12-23-2016, 07:36 PM
In my personal opinion, KYB makes for a great "poor man's" Bilstein. Unless you are into modifying shock mounts, this may be your only option(the lower mounting pins are not that difficult to modify). I still think modifying TransAm/Camaro front Koni's is the best way to go. Get creative on the rears using Gabriel/Monroe measurement specs as a guideline and modify your mounts accordingly. The Konis are truly superb and worth every penny.
Good luck,
Bill

Buzzard
12-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Hi me again.
I just found Gabriel Classic Shocks available for your application.
They are the Classic gas charged model so should work well for most applications and probably would be improved over stock.
Front # 82087
Rear # 82151
http://gabriel.com/catalog/
Rockauto has them for 19.93 each
http://www.rockauto.com/
Good luck,
Bill

48skyliner
12-24-2016, 07:49 PM
I have used KYB gas shocks for 40 years and never had a failure except when I ran some for more than 150,000 miles. I never used Gabriels but even if you plan to put 100,000 miles on your car, I cannot see the benefit of a rebuildable shock when you can get new shocks so cheaply from Rockauto.