Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Premium Gasoline - Coming To A Pump Near You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Vintage Premium Gasoline - Coming To A Pump Near You?

Could be a good thing for Studebaker owners.....

(snippet copy - See link for complete article)

Shell develops new premium fuel for the engines of old cars

Posted on: December 18, 2016 By: William Hall
    Shell says its V-Power Nitro+ fuel helps protect vintage car engines | William Hall photosModern gasolines have become a recurring headache for classic car owners. Low octane and unleaded fuel have presented challenges for years, but federally-mandated 10 percent ethanol content has caused new problems with compatibility in vintage fuel-system components.
    Recently, Shell Oil Company invited me down to STCH (Shell Technology Center Houston) in Texas to demonstrate what they’re doing to address the needs of the classic car owner with their Shell V-Power Nitro+ premium gasoline.
    The 200-acre research facility is under heavy security, but once inside the folks are friendly and you feel the camaraderie and sense of purpose between the scientists. I’m in way over my head among the resident PhDs; I feigned some semblance of comprehension as I was shown around the mass-spectrometer, a device used for weighing individual molecules.
    A Shell scientist analyzes microscopic engine wear with a spectrometerThese people are real car enthusiasts. A flyer for their annual STCH Classic Car show hangs on the cafeteria wall. Everyone is walking around in Ferrari Red lab coats, emblazoned with the famous Shell pecten logo. Shell is Ferrari’s partner in Formula 1 Racing, as well as an R&D collaborator. It’s sometimes hard to tell where Shell stops and Ferrari starts.
    To discuss fuel, it’s important to understand that it’s a highly engineered concoction – not unlike a medicine – that uses base gasoline stock plus an additive package. The portions are precisely balanced to interact effectively. Like cooking chili, adding more of one ingredient does not necessarily improve the end product. Simply adding octane, or eliminating ethanol, is not the answer.
    V-Power Nitro+ is available nationwide in 91 to 93 octane and was first introduced at a massive rollout in Times Square in 2015. Since then, the Shell scientists have been accumulating lab data and real-world experiences amongst a variety of vehicles and applications. In particular, they’ve noted some interesting effects on older carbureted engines with higher miles.
    Of special interest to classic car owners is the detergent additive in V-Power Nitro+ fuel. The blend features seven times the EPA-mandated LAC (Low Additive Concentration) found in standard gasoline. Combined with an anti-wear protector, the fuel has been found to have a rehabilitative effect on gunked-up (yes, that’s a technical term) valves and intake chambers, with data showing it removes as much as 60 percent of deposits from the valve area after just the first tankful.
    Similar claims are made for high-detergent premium fuels from such producers as Chevron and BP.
    Borescope photos of intake valves after burning other premium fuels (left) and Shell V-Power Nitro+Carbon deposits are like coral reefs that build up on the valves and valve area. These porous structures absorb unburnt fuel which act as hot spots and can cause pre-ignition and detonation, potentially ruining an engine. These deposits also impede the swirl effect needed for optimal fuel atomization, hinder compression sealing, impede heat dissipation, and add grams of weight which can imbalance the valvetrain. In short, a rough-running, ill-performing engine.
    I witnessed the cleaning effect a few months earlier, when Shell did a live test with a 2015 Charger specially modified with twin, isolated fuel systems. One side of the V6 engine burned “other guy’s” premium, and the other side burned V-Power Nitro+. They drove the car 1,500 miles, pulled the fuel rails off, and stuck a borescope down into the intake valve area. I was there to take these photos, showing the lunar-like surface of the “other” fuels versus the machine-shop fresh finish of the V-Power Nitro+ side. Seeing was believing.
    Ethanol, the oxygenator of choice since MTBE was abandoned in 2005, is a hygroscopic compound. It attracts water into your fuel system. Shell counters this with a corrosion inhibitor in V-Power gasoline, I was told, that also has a sheathing effect on the rubber, plastic and silicone compounds in fuel hose and carburetor seals, areas which have been known to react adversely to ethanol in classic cars.
    There is anecdotal evidence that V-Power Nitro+ may clean and lubricate carburetor needles and seats, and de-gunk piston crowns and rings, improving compression and piston flame-front. It’s unknown how well the anti-wear additive might lubricate non-hardened valve seats in classic cars, according to Shell. The Shell scientists are intrigued, but they face a cost-benefit analysis in quantifying the data; classic cars comprise only a fractional market share, making research hard to justify.
    Nonetheless, glowing reports flood into the Shell 1-888 GOSHELL information line from classic car owners. The experiment is easy enough to continue; try a tank of Shell V-Power Nitro+ and note improvements.
    “If you’re looking for the best total engine protection for your classic vehicle, then Shell V-Power Nitro+ Premium Gasoline is what you should be using,” said Sarina Arnold, a Fuels Scientist with Shell. “Setting a high standard in fuels innovation with patented technology, Shell V-Power Nitro+ premium gasoline delivers unsurpassed protection against gunk and corrosion and superior protection against wear, helping your classic vehicle to perform at its best.”
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Good news as it is all I use. More out of availability than brand loyalty. We have Shell 91 octane premium with no ethanol about 12 miles from me. My engines run good with it.
    james r pepper

Comment

Interesting post, Thanks.

I just found the second most difficult question to answer after looking for the location of the Holy Grail. It's "does Shell V-Power Nitro Plus contain Ethanol?" The answer is obscure at best. In Canada it's "No it Doesn't" but in the US the answers vary from sometimes to yes. I couldn't find a No! anywhere as even in Europe it contains 5%.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see a company even thinking about old car owners or at least developing an additive package that does what they claim including cleaning up the downside whether ethanol is in the blend or not.

If indeed it does contain ethanol, we might be better off if they setup a division to produce and sell state of the art additive packages in a can for the folks that don't have a lot of Shell stations available.

The reason I'm curious, is here in Michigan I'm told, about everything we burn gasoline wise comes from Whiting, Indiana by way of a pipe line. There at least one or more small refineries in the southern part of the state but they are not Shell. Therefore, about any gas we get comes out of the pipeline and is blended for the individual brands that receive the gas at their stations.

There is a Shell station south of here, I believe, so I think I'll take a road trip and see what the pump says.

Thanks again, Bob

Comment

As a side note...
        You can test your own fuel with a simple gauge to see how much ethanol is in it (if any).
        All the speed shops sell them for the E85 racers.
        Around $15 to 20 some dollars....

(copy)
        Brand:
        Holley
        Manufacturer's Part Number:
        26-147
        Part Type:
        Fuel Testers
        Product Line:
        Holley E85 Fuel Testers
        Summit Racing Part Number:
        HLY-26-147

UPC:
        Fuel Tester Tube Material:
        Glass
        Quantity:
        Sold individually.
        In-Store Pickup:
        Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

Calibrating the right air/fuel mixture is important to gain proper power and efficiency from your carburetor and engine. But for vehicles running E85 fuel, proper calibration is difficult if you don't know the exact percentage of ethanol to gasoline in the fuel. These Holley E85 fuel testers are essential tools that can instantly determine the ratio in the E85 fuel you're using. They fit in your pocket or toolbox and are easy to use. Simply add water to the first line on the testers and then pour in the E85 sample to the second line. Once the water is absorbed, the Holley E85 fuel testers will indicate the amount of ethanol in the fuel.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Very interesting Jeff.
          I've been trying to boycott ethanol fuels for some time. In Canada it looks like all Shell V-Power fuels are ethanol free (as well as SOME Chevron and Esso Premium fuels). I enlightened my wholesale bulk fuel owner to the downside of ethanol fuels as he has a classic old International truck and was experiencing some problems. He now imports all of his premium fuels(marked and street legal) without ethanol.
          Under the hood with ethanol and your classic car - Go under the hood with HVA member and veteran classic car mechanic, Ed Syrocki, in a new video that shows ...

Also Jay Leno did a program regarding this.
          Bruce Hendel of VP Racing Fuels has strategies and products to protect your fuel system.» Subscribe: http://bit.ly/JLGSubscribe» Visit the Official Site: htt...

We are snowbirds (or as my Arizona pals state: "Blizzard Buzzards" and commute between British Columbia and Arizona twice annually. I keep log books and it is very evident when we can obtain non-ethanol premium as we pick up approximately 1 1/2 -2 1/2 miles per gallon over ethanol fuels.
          This past summer a friend picked up some of my "premium, marked, no-ethanol fuel" for use in his chain saw. It seems in the heat of summer the ethanol fuel was boiling in the carburetors and my premium fixed it.
          I also don't experience any difficulties with various engines sitting for months at a time(generators, chainsaws etc.). It seems to me to be worth the extra cost.
          Bill

Comment

Sorry to say, Shell V-Power 93 here in Delaware "contains 10% ethanol". It runs the Avanti well, but the ethanol is still present and still presents "low use" issues of water accumulation, in cars that use a tank of gas every 30-60 days or longer periods. The demo pictures are from a 2015 fuel injected engine--I use it anyway, as there are no substitutes without ethanol here anyway. My combustion chambers and valves stems still look like the "untreated ones", so I can't give it any kudos, other than it doesn't "ping" with normal timing on my R2.

Comment

Simple question, but maybe no simple answer. Available about twelve miles away an independent station that sells non-ethanol fuel. I use it in all of my collector cars, but on tour I augment judiciously with what's available. I've had little run-ability issues, with only two instances of vapor lock in years of driving. Does the cleaning advantages of Shell V-Power 93 trump (no pun intended) the use of n/e fuel, or is there still more advantage in using it? Or maybe a blend of the two would be the best of both worlds solution? Some of my cars need the higher octane while for many of the older cars, with low compression engines, it makes no difference.

Comment

You have to wonder if Shell V Power Nitro Premium is SO good for Old Cars, what harm would it do to New Catalytic Converter equipped ones?
                I doubt they are going to Label it for 1972 and Older Cars ONLY and put Large Nozzles on the Pumps that do not fit Newer Cars with flappers!

If it IS true that Canada Shell uses NO Ethanol and the USA uses 10%, the results could NOT be the same.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                  Sorry to say, Shell V-Power 93 here in Delaware "contains 10% ethanol". It runs the Avanti well, but the ethanol is still present and still presents "low use" issues of water accumulation, in cars that use a tank of gas every 30-60 days or longer periods. The demo pictures are from a 2015 fuel injected engine--I use it anyway, as there are no substitutes without ethanol here anyway. My combustion chambers and valves stems still look like the "untreated ones", so I can't give it any kudos, other than it doesn't "ping" with normal timing on my R2.
                  Fred,

If you want ethanol-free, drive south about 40 miles on 113 to Berlin, MD. Go to Cropper's Gas and Oil on Route 50. That's where I get my ethanol free for use in my Studes. It's unbranded 89 octane and per the owner is trucked in from Roanoke, VA. Lots of boaters and old car guys like me around here use it. Somewhat farther down on 113 in Newark, DE is a Sunoco station that sells 91 octane ethanol free.
                  Frank P, Delmarva Chapter

Comment

Now all I need is the website that tells me where it's available??? I'm in S. Texas!!

Treblig

Comment

Originally posted by Treblig View Post
                      Now all I need is the website that tells me where it's available??? I'm in S. Texas!!

Treblig
                      If you are talking about the 93 octane V-Power Nitro +, I'd just Google Shell stations in your area. I looked up the one Shell Station south of me and it has the 93 octane Nitro + as one of the three choices. About $0.90/gal more than 87 regular. No notice of Alcohol content on any of the octane levels but I'll bet it's 10% in all of them.

Bob

Comment

That's interesting.

Here where I live, Spartanburg, SC, there is only one source of wholesale gasoline, the Colonial Pipeline. What comes out of it is a mixed product from multiple Texas refineries. That pipeline does deliver "regular" and premium" grades, but that is all. So whether you buy at Murphy oil, or Costco, or BP or Exxon, or anywhere else in town, you get the same gasoline. I can't think of a Shell station here, so maybe you can get their super-dooper fuel somewhere else, but from Texas to NYC, it's all the same. There's just the one pipe.

Comment

Where is the ethanol added, at the refinery or later on, perhaps at the local distribution center?
                          64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

I thought though, there were driveability issues with the older engines and the higher octanes, which I thought, was the only grade Shell gas that has the Nitro+ label? Or was that a low compression flathead engine matter?

Comment

Originally posted by 60ragtop View Post
                              Fred,

If you want ethanol-free, drive south about 40 miles on 113 to Berlin, MD. Go to Cropper's Gas and Oil on Route 50. That's where I get my ethanol free for use in my Studes. It's unbranded 89 octane and per the owner is trucked in from Roanoke, VA. Lots of boaters and old car guys like me around here use it. Somewhat farther down on 113 in Newark, DE is a Sunoco station that sells 91 octane ethanol free.
                              Frank P, Delmarva Chapter
                              The Sunoco Station in Newark is only 90+ miles away, at 12 MPG (R2-4.09 rear), I'd arrive back home 1/2 full, the station in Berlin is as you say 40 miles +/-, but has 89-need at least 93. That's the real problem. There are other sources in NJ and MD but I'd use most of it getting home!!

Comment

Working...
                              X