Production order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production order

I am trying to order a Production Order for my 53 Coupe. Problem is that the engine was changed and the body tag is missing. What number can these use to identify the car?
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

The only number you need is the car's Serial Number, which is located between the hinges on the driver's door hinge post....or should be.

The engine and body numbers would be of no use to The Studebaker National Museum anyway, should you send in a request with only those numbers. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thank you. I thought that was correct but the titles are registered under the engine numbers and wanted to make sure that was not used.
      51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
      53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
      62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

I don't believe any state still registers vehicles by engine number. If it's not too much hassle you may want to find out what Arizona DOT wants to bring your registrations in to this day and age. When the time comes it may lubricate any sale.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Usually here in the West, all it takes is a VIN Number (actually Serial Number) verification by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles or a Law Enforcement Officer, and the Production Order showing that the Engine Number on the Old Paperwork (Title) matches the one on the P.O. for the SAME Car Serial Number that is also on the Car.

Then it can be Registered by it's correct Car Serial Number to use as a "VIN #" on the new Title.

The Engine Numbers were used in Calif. and some other States up to 1954, when the switch was made to Serial Numbers, long before Cars had actual 17 Digit "VIN Numbers".
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did they have the 'secret' serial# as early as '53 on the rear frame crossmembers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
              Did they have the 'secret' serial# as early as '53 on the rear frame crossmembers?
              They did; I believe my 1933 is supposed to have it stamped on the right frame rail as well. But finding those numbers, especially in the rust belt, is nigh on impossible.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                They did; I believe my 1933 is supposed to have it stamped on the right frame rail as well. But finding those numbers, especially in the rust belt, is nigh on impossible.
                Actually on the left (drivers side) under side of frame below the drivers door. Yes, it was there in '33.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  Yes, it was there in '33.
                  Thanks, Richard. Do you suppose, after 84 years it might still be there?
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I found it on my '31 President coupe. I know of others who have also found it on late '20s cars.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	31 pres cpe rounded corners forum.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1711658
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs K Corbin View Post
                      Yes, I posted a photo of a '53 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...059-Secret-VIN

Craig

Comment

You will find everything but the phase of the moon the night the vehicle was built still being used as "numbers" on some titles, somewhere. My experience has typically been whatever was on the old title goes on the new. My state doesn't want to think about it, but simply move people through... as slooooowly as humanly possible.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                          I don't believe any state still registers vehicles by engine number. If it's not too much hassle you may want to find out what Arizona DOT wants to bring your registrations in to this day and age. When the time comes it may lubricate any sale.
                          My 53 Coupe came with Michigan Title. I was told on this old of a vehicle uses the motor serial number. They remove the body plate (I have) / The motor is a SBC , I was going to try to correct title to Body Plate serial and was told "Difficult to do".. So Arizona has mine registered from transferred existing title.. Now..what happens if I change the motor ?

At title service (3rd party) they had no idea.. The 3rd party service is so much faster and easier. No need for inspection or title search as long as you have existing out of state Title. I have done several cars but this was first from a state that used the motor serial..

My 53 Jaguar XK120 was a racer until a couple years before I bought it in 1973, It was incorrectly titled as a 1952. But I was told too difficult to correct and I DO NOT recommend adding any difficulty in these matters !! lol
                          Last edited by parts2; 12-22-2016, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
                            My 53 Coupe came with Michigan Title. I was told on this old of a vehicle uses the motor serial number. They remove the body plate (I have)/Cut/
                            All I can say to THAT is, anyone that would threaten to remove a Serial Number plate from one of my Studebakers would be looking down the barrels of a Double Barrel Shotgun!
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                            X