Braking rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Braking rod

My Sky Hawk had power brakes but they were removed. I've read that in that case you need a longer arm to the pedal to make braking better. Should I have this done?
    peter lee

This may be about the "Brake Pedal" shaft, not Breaking a Rod.

If so, Yes that would be the correct thing to do.
    Someone recently posted pictures of Both shafts and not only the Length was different, but also the leverage and position of the short end.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You need to replace the power brake brake pedal (~8.5") with a standard (Manual) brake pedal (~11.5"). Not only this, the pivot point on the frame needs to be changed. The power brake pivot shaft is bolted ahead of the standard (welded) brake pivot shaft. You can remove the power brake pivot, but it's not necessary. The Manual brake pedal will naturally fit easily on the welded pivot and using this pedal will change the length of the actuator rod needed to span the distance from the pedal to the Master Cylinder. The manual brake actuator rod is shorter than the PB rod, so you can either cut down the PB rod or find a manual brake actuator rod.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

It's about different mechanical advantage, or leverage, of the brake pedal with or without power assist.

The whole thing was explained in this thread - with pictures.

And yes, if you want a safer car, you should have it done.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 12-19-2016, 05:29 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
        X