Hood sound insulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood sound insulation?

Was under hood sound insulation offered on 62 GTs? If so, what was it made of and how was it attached?
    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

It was standard on GT's. Made of some kind of some hairy looking stuff with backing. It is attached with adhesive. Repro pads are available from some of our vendors.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Does anyone have pictures of what this insulation looks like installed?
      I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

It is a thin layer of fiber glass and SI has it or you could get a universal sheet from someone like dynamat and made your own.

Comment

41 Frank is right. Buy one from one of our vendors as I did, and an instruction sheet will probably come with it like mine did. As I remember the one for my former 56J, the pad was a dark grey "hairy" material about ¾" thick with a more dense layer on each surface, making it easier to glue on with carpet-upholstery spray. I think there was something about having to hug one side of the hood more than the other too, maybe towards the passenger side, but I don't recall. Sorry, don't have a photo.

My 62 GT doesn't have one either and that's on my "agenda list" too.
          Bill L.
          1962 GT Hawk

Comment

My mother bought a new '61 Hawk. I was 15 years old at the time, and as a Studebaker enthusiast focused in on all the details. The rectangular hood pad was slightly offset to the passenger side. Batteries of that era had vented caps and it seemed it was so positioned so as not to seal off the battery cap vents.

Comment

I just installed a pad on our Hawk, got it from SI. Researched many threads about adhesives, make sure you use 3M 8090 Yellow Super Trim
              Adhesive and protect your engine compartment, it will make a mess otherwise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5510.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1711603

Comment

I never have liked the idea of a thick fiberglass blanket over a hot engine, so I've never put the insulator on any Stude I've had. Am I the only one?

Comment

I bought one from SI when building my 61. It didn't fit well and was going to need a lot of trimming to look like post #7 photo. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble and didn't install it. If I still have it, it is yours for the cost of shipping.
                  Wayne
                  "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic​

Comment

I can't think of any reason to not use a pad. I do know the mice will chew on it if you don't keep the mice out of the garage.

Comment

I replaced the dirty and ratty looking fiberglass hood mat on my 63 Avanti with a insulation mat used to wrap water heaters. Much better appearance and easy to clean. I comes in a roll and is silver finished. I painted the engine side black. Most pleased with the results. Here are photos.

(o[]O0
                      Attached Files

Comment

Did anyone notice a reduction in noise after installing the mat ?
                        Does the mat do anything to limit the drumming from that big sheet of metal ? [the hood]
                        JWL4541 : That mat probably isn't conductive, but you might want to check. If it is, some cover over exposed electrical connections under hood might be nice in case the mat separates from the hood.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                          Did anyone notice a reduction in noise after installing the mat ?
                          Does the mat do anything to limit the drumming from that big sheet of metal ? [the hood]
                          JWL4541 : That mat probably isn't conductive, but you might want to check. If it is, some cover over exposed electrical connections under hood might be nice in case the mat separates from the hood.
                          It does seem to quiet the engine noise a bit. But to be honest, I put it on and then parked her for the winter so haven't spent enough time driving to know for sure.

Comment

Besides reducing engine noise, it might help preserve the paint on the hood.
                            I know on original unrestored Model A's the paint on the hood is the first to wear thin, and I can only think it's due to heat.

Comment

I installed on my '64 Daytona after I painted it, and yes, it did quiet the engine noise down some. I think it's one of those "every little bit helps" items, along with a good firewall liner , good carpet pad, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X