PDA

View Full Version : What is CASO?

60jerry
12-19-2016, 01:14 AM
I see this reference occasionally and haven't been able to find it spelled out. I'm not great at acronyms--there are so durned many of them. What the heck is it?

55 56 PREZ 4D
12-19-2016, 01:15 AM
Cheap Ass Studebaker Owner

Studeous
12-19-2016, 06:22 AM
California Studebaker Organization
Central Alabama Studebaker Operator

alpayed
12-19-2016, 07:51 AM
I prefer to be known as "Cash aware Studebaker Owner" if you don't mind. Ha Ha.
Allan

hank63
12-19-2016, 08:04 AM
The world is full of TLA's and FLA's

what huh
12-19-2016, 08:17 AM
I'm a proud CASO 😁

but also understand the value in doing it right the first time to save time and money later

TWChamp
12-19-2016, 09:03 AM
The world is full of TLA's and FLA's

I'm not good with many acronyms. What are these two?

greyben
12-19-2016, 12:59 PM
The term CASO is often applied depending on whether you are the buyer or the seller.

T.J. lavallee
12-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Now that your question about the definition of CASO has been answered don't you feel more enlightened? Here's another one for you to question: FUBAR (Hint...it's describes something that's been all screwed up)

6hk71400
12-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Well, since this should be a PG audience the polite way I heard that over 40 years ago in the military was Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition. Most GI's exchanged the F in the acronym for a more profane word. Same thing with FIGMO. We were glad to see that especially leaving Vietnam, or a base where everything was FUBAR on a daily basis.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Noxnabaker
12-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Thing remains the same: spenders lose money! ...as in the difference between being greedy or being a savior.

LovelandJoe
12-19-2016, 03:33 PM
They call us cheap Studebaker owners but to get one back on the road isnt. Engine rebuilds are two to three times the price of Fords or Chevy's and very few body panels so have have to fabricate them is is also expensive.

thunderations
12-19-2016, 04:32 PM
CASO can be used for many automotive things, but please, don't go CASO on brakes, steering or tires. I don't want to be the victim of someone saving a buck thirty-eight and I don't think many others would appreciate it either. Save your money on making it pretty, but make it safe to drive.

hank63
12-19-2016, 05:10 PM
TLA = Three Letter Acronym
FLA = Four Letter Acronym[
QUOTE=TWChamp;1028864]I'm not good with many acronyms. What are these two?[/QUOTE]

E. Davis
12-19-2016, 05:23 PM
As a favor to all of us old guys that are not text savvy and don't want to be, please use plain English language whenever possible. It will make the forum more friendly and informative when we all know what each other is talking about. Thanks in advance.

rockne10
12-19-2016, 05:23 PM
Being frugal is not the same as being cheap. Frugality permits one to spend whatever is necessary whenever it becomes necessary.

BILT4ME
12-19-2016, 06:39 PM
LOL (Laughing Out Loud
IMHO (In My Humble Opinion)
OP (Original Poster)
PO (Previous Owner)
FSM (Factory Service Manual)
FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store)
GF (Girl Friend)
CASO (Cheap A** Studebaker Owner)
PONTIAC (Poor Old Neanderthal Thinks It's A Cadillac)
FORD (Fix Or Repair Daily) (Found On Road Dead)
GMC (Gotta Messa Crap)
CID (Cubic Inch Displacement)
YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

Learnin' to spell with Darnell: Today's word: Urinate
Let's use it in a sentence:
The other day, my cousin asked if I thought she was a ten. I told her: "No way. I think urinate."

wittsend
12-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Cautiously Accounted Spending Operation

"Being frugal is not the same as being cheap."

Thank you.

8E45E
12-20-2016, 09:03 AM
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?22848-call-me-dumb!-what-is-CASCO

Craig

nckid4u
12-20-2016, 09:11 AM
L
The other day, my cousin asked if I thought she was a ten. I told her: "No way. I think urinate."

Urinate! if you had bigger boobs you could be a ten! -DT2016

johnod
12-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Figmo ???????

PackardV8
12-20-2016, 04:05 PM
Figmo ???????

Fuggit; I Got My Orders."

jack vines

wittsend
12-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Saw a Taco Bell commercial last night where they used the word CASO. I put that into a Google Spanish to English translator and it translates to "Case." So, if you use the word CASO around any south of the border friends don't be surprised if they ask back, "Case of what?" :confused:

Avantict
12-20-2016, 06:57 PM
CASO buy car as cheaply as possible do the absolute minimum to keep in on the road Complain about value and resale prices

mbstude
12-20-2016, 07:03 PM
Saw a Taco Bell commercial last night where they used the word CASO. I put that into a Google Spanish to English translator and it translates to "Case." So, if you use the word CASO around any south of the border friends don't be surprised if they ask back, "Case of what?" :confused:

Queso = cheese.

BRUCESTUDE
12-20-2016, 11:00 PM
CASCO also refers to guys like me who remember when Studebakers, most any model, were available fairly cheap, and when a Stude owner could go to the locals parts store and get most mechanical parts. Now it's a given certain things will cost big $$, but I still cringe when paying for things that used to be a heck of a lot cheaper!!

Jessie J.
12-21-2016, 12:00 AM
CASCO also refers to guys like me who remember when Studebakers, most any model, were available fairly cheap,
A genuine CASO, I well remember buying one very nice, rust free, like new interior, good running '60 Lark V-8 wagon for $80
...they were asking for $100! :D

Jett289
12-21-2016, 06:54 AM
I'm a proud CASO.. Bought a 1964 Commander with a 6 and automatic for 100dollars .. Changed out the transmission for 50dollars and drove that rusty POS for 2 years .. Surprisingly it rode and drove very nice and always started .. I still have the engine and front grill from it ..

Kato
12-21-2016, 07:57 AM
LOL (Laughing Out Loud
OP (Original Poster)
PO (Previous Owner)
GF (Girl Friend)
GMC (Gotta Messa Crap)

Don't forget SNAFU ( Situation Normal All ..... Up)

6hk71400
12-21-2016, 08:57 AM
Ah yes SNAFU goes with FUBAR. An extremely Ford biased friend thinks Ford stands for First On Race Day. I have been trying to have him upgrade his life by getting into a Studebaker. He did admit to me that Studebaker was first above all other domestic cars with Disc Brakes in 1963. I also sent him a link on Bob Palma's article on the Studebaker V8 published in Hemming's Classic Car some time ago.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Sdude
12-21-2016, 08:37 PM
LOL (Laughing Out Loud
OP (Original Poster)
PO (Previous Owner)
GF (Girl Friend)
GMC (Gotta Messa Crap)

You forgot STUDEBAKER (stylish transportation used daily everywhere by all kinds even royalty)

8E45E
12-21-2016, 09:10 PM
You forgot STUDEBAKER (stylish transportation used daily everywhere by all kinds even royalty)

And I learned to spell 'ARITHMETIC', with the same amount of letters in a now-politically uncorrect way, A Red Indian Thought He Might Eat Tobacco In Church!

Craig

dleroux
12-21-2016, 09:20 PM
Don't go there! Most of us are of an age where we learned to memorize, what we had to, by what would be termed as the MOST politically incorrect terms circa 2016. If we start down this path, this thread will be locked & the key thrown away and all of us banned for life.

Xcalibur
12-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Not everyone considers it complimentary.

6hk71400
12-22-2016, 12:28 AM
I guess we should go on the UNI platform from now on:). UNI????? What's that? I took some time to use all sort of Military acronyms and typed up a report for a superior officer to sign. It came back with UNI. Hmmmm did not know that one so.......dummy me had to ask the officer. Glaring at me he said "USE NO INITIALS"

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Kato
12-22-2016, 02:07 PM
I guess we should go on the UNI platform from now on:). UNI????? What's that? I took some time to use all sort of Military acronyms and typed up a report for a superior officer to sign. It came back with UNI. Hmmmm did not know that one so.......dummy me had to ask the officer. Glaring at me he said "USE NO INITIALS"

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Well it's a wonder you weren't CT'd ... as one ex military guy to another:!:

6hk71400
12-22-2016, 05:57 PM
Well it's a wonder you weren't CT'd ... as one ex military guy to another:!:

Well as a matter of fact, my initial career in the Air Force was Crypto Tech, in Security Service, who was Cross Trained stateside for admin duties. I take it you mean not the official CT but the slang version.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

voxnut
12-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Ah yes SNAFU goes with FUBAR. An extremely Ford biased friend thinks Ford stands for First On Race Day. I have been trying to have him upgrade his life by getting into a Studebaker. He did admit to me that Studebaker was first above all other domestic cars with Disc Brakes in 1963. I also sent him a link on Bob Palma's article on the Studebaker V8 published in Hemming's Classic Car some time ago.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Except for the fact that Crosleys came with disc brakes in 1949. ;)

Kato
12-22-2016, 07:26 PM
Well as a matter of fact, my initial career in the Air Force was Crypto Tech, in Security Service, who was Cross Trained stateside for admin duties. I take it you mean not the official CT but the slang version.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

In my world in the RCAF CT'd meant Cease Training or fired in the civvy world! If you were on course or in a position and screwed up you were CT'd. As you alluded there were more than enough acronyms to go around in the military! Maybe it's just that we speak with a different accent up here in the great white north! ;)

6hk71400
12-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Well that was a new one to me so thanks for the information. We always just heard the "Article 17" being brought up. Usually in a joking matter, but serious if you faced one. You did not get an honorable discharge with an Article 17.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Ted Preston
12-29-2016, 10:07 PM
LOL (Laughing Out Loud
OP (Original Poster)
PO (Previous Owner)
GF (Girl Friend)
GMC (Gotta Messa Crap)

You forgot a few:

FIAT= Fix it again, Tony
or Found in a tip (in Australia, a "tip" is a dumpster)
but my favorite FIAT fake acronym was

Fling it around turns!

Studebaker is too long to make up silly phrases.