Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Hawk 400 for real and I need your help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Hawk 400 for real and I need your help.

​I actually own number 6 of the 10 show golden Hawk 400's. (Bob has verified) I bought the car from a man from Murfreesboro and he bought it from a car dealer in Louisville 1995. It was traded to the dealer by a solder.The engine had been replaced with a Packard 352. He actually traded another hawk with the golden gawk 400. The front bumper had a Jefferson County Kentucky 1961 tag on it. and thats all of the leads I have.
    I know it is like locating a needle in a haystack but just wondered if anyone in that area or anywhere would have knowledge of or know what happened to the original engine serial number PS3788. I would love to get the 400 back together complete with the original engine from the factory.

So someone replaced the original supercharged Studebaker engine with a '56 style Packard unit?....I've never heard of anyone doing this before, and I find it VERY INTERESTING!...(auto or stick?)

Any chance of posting a few photos?...Thanks

Comment

It was a poor install with a ford truck transmission and I removed the engine (372 dual 4 barrel) and transmission immediately when I got the car back in 1995. The car was dormant for 15 years until I noticed the extra options and the white scoop paint and then I sent off for the build sheet and wow a 400 show car was found too be the history. I have a PS engine for it but incorrect numbers. This is why I am just checking to see if there any leads to the original block.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drivers side outside body.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1711568
      Attached Files

Comment

Great story!.....The body looks to be in pretty good shape too!...Best of luck on your search!

Comment

Yes It will be like hitting the lottery (that I dont play) if the block turns up somewhere. Just hoping it was not melted down since it was so long ago. If I find it I may play the lottery since luck would be with me.

Comment

Originally posted by cabforward View Post
            Yes It will be like hitting the lottery (that I dont play) if the block turns up somewhere. Just hoping it was not melted down since it was so long ago. If I find it I may play the lottery since luck would be with me.
            At that point, finding that block will have spent at least three years worth of luck...keep what folding money in your pocket to spend on the rebuild.

Comment

I'd sure like to know what spurred the previous owner of your '400' to pull the Stude and go with the Packard...a blown engine?...or maybe he found a derelict Caribbean and couldn't resist!

By the way, do you still have the dual quad 374?

Comment

Still have it but plan to put it in a 56j or try to aquire folded money for restoration. I saw the Rene Harger interior for $5300, just for starters. I would also love to find out why. I think at the time it was just a golden Hawk to the owner and not a holy grail. Especially since he traded 2 hawks to a dealer for 1 brand x. Just hope someone would have any info on it.

Comment

Still have it but plan to put it in a 56j or try to aquire folded money for restoration. I saw the Rene Harger interior for $5300, just for starters. I would also love to find out why
                  I would suspect you'll be getting genuine leather for the seat material; which is correct for the 400 interior.

Craig

Comment

The ad from southeast Studebaker said leather on the 400 interior. I assume this is why 5300. I think all the interior stainless is in good shape and not creased.

Comment

In reality, although it is nice to have the factory installed engine under the hood, Studebakers (thankfully) aren't like Corvettes or Mopars, where matching numbers seem to have a HUGE impact on values.

The issue that concerns me are folks who may consider re-stamping a block or serial plate to pass something off as the original....I don't go for that sort of thing.

Comment

A great find! Is the interior trashed? How much do you have to work with, appears that many $$$ will be spent on the restoration. You mentioned the white air scoops, can you tell if there was any overspray behind them? My "400" has the white overspray, looks like they were painted on the car. Tom Lawlis said SNM was questioning him when the 400 in the museum was being restored, overspray or not. I'd also like to know if the stainless sill plates (if they still exist) are 1 or 2 pieces?

Comment

GREAT FIND!!!!

Though I'm not much of a C/K fan-- I'd take one over an Avanti anyday.

I have a few thoughts for you...

Seeing as the original block is gone and the hopes of finding are slim- you could look for a 'replacement' block and not many would worry much about it. It happened all the time back in the day I'm sure.

As for that Packard motor--
                          I can think of a place to put it where it might be 'fun'~

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3104.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1711572

Good luck with the car.
                          And welcome to the madness...
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

FWIW, Jeff and I have corresponded about his Golden Hawk 400 since his thread concerning it a couple weeks ago.

Once verified, he asked that I not disclose that to anyone until he had decided what he wanted to do with it. The car is, in fact, #6 of the 10 Golden Hawk 400s built for the Auto Show circuit on February 12 and 13, 1957. Three of the ten 400 Show Cars are now confirmed extant; only 7 to go!

I hope someone does have 1957 Golden Hawk engine block (at least) number PS3788. Jeff indicated that he, too, is not in favor of restamping another block, and I concur. Too much of that going on in the hobby. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              I would suspect you'll be getting genuine leather for the seat material; which is correct for the 400 interior.

Craig
                              I thnk that you may have misread the intent of the statement. The way you took it is as I first read it and then realized that the "find out why" was referring to the Packard engine transplant and not the cost of the interior.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X