Wintertime Avanti!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wintertime Avanti!

Took a few photos of my '83 Avanti "driver" before heading to the shop early this morning....There's really something magic about the pristine stillness & silence of an early morn snowfall here in New England....Wouldn't trade it for the world!!

(Of course, the occasional snowplow truck isn't so silent!!)....... I'd better install my 'Firestone Winterforce' snow tires pretty soon!!
    Attached Files

Somebody employs you?
    Be safe out there.
    Last edited by bezhawk; 12-17-2016, 06:57 AM.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Last year's photos: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ht=avanti+snow

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        Somebody employs you?
        Be safe out there.
        YEP!! (that is kind of hard to believe! )

Comment

Our roads are white also, but it's that polluting, auto destructing road salt, not snow.
          I keep mine tucked away for 6 months of road salt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Merry Christmas.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1711559

ID:	1711559Click image for larger version

ID:	1711559

Comment

Decided to roll out my 'lifesavers'!....Rain tomorrow,..will probably install them next weekend.
            Attached Files

Comment

My StudeDriver has been parked since early last week.
              As such she's had to sit this one out in the cold~

Name:	15418456_687153451454045_2610704196186709175_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1711561

Washington State uses salt now-- and Sweet Pea can't afford anymore exposure.
              Soon I even hope to have her inside a garage. as well...
              StudeDave '57
              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
              SDC Member since 1985

past President
              Whatcom County Chapter SDC
              San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
              San Diego Chapter SDC
              North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Snow on the ground here in Oregon as well. I got off work Wednesday afternoon after it had already started to come down and immediately ran into the worst traffic jam I have ever experienced. A normal 45 minute commute took 7 hours. I was in my champ truck and had just put the "SureTrax" water bag in the bed and put about 150 pounds of water in it. I slipped a few times but that little truck got me home, even going over a half dozen fairly steep hills with ice. I got a few amazed looks from other motorists. If the snow keeps coming I may have to break down and buy snow tires. I already have a set already mounted on rims but they are 55 years old, never used, and still have the nubs on them, so I am reluctant to try them.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Bright and Sunny...but COLD* (39 degrees when I got up this morning).

*for us wimps from California that is....but we can drive our Studebakers 24/7/365....so there!
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                    Snow on the ground here in Oregon as well. I got off work Wednesday afternoon after it had already started to come down and immediately ran into the worst traffic jam I have ever experienced. A normal 45 minute commute took 7 hours. I was in my champ truck and had just put the "SureTrax" water bag in the bed and put about 150 pounds of water in it. I slipped a few times but that little truck got me home, even going over a half dozen fairly steep hills with ice. I got a few amazed looks from other motorists. If the snow keeps coming I may have to break down and buy snow tires. I already have a set already mounted on rims but they are 55 years old, never used, and still have the nubs on them, so I am reluctant to try them.

SEVEN HOURS!!!!....Wow!, my hat's off to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                      /Cut/ If the snow keeps coming I may have to break down and buy snow tires. I already have a set already mounted on rims but they are 55 years old, never used, and still have the nubs on them, so I am reluctant to try them.
                      Yeah, I just HAD to find out if all the Tire Stores were full of it and just trying to sell Tires or not, and try some like New, really OLD Studded, Bias Ply Snows on the back of my Lark with the Standard nowadays; P205X75R15 Radials on Front!

That was Fun, all it did was wiggle wobble back and forth down the Road at 15-20 MPH! UGH! A block or two of that was ENOUGH!
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ed, I don't know how you can live in that envoirment let alone drive in it.
                        70-75 F out here, the top doesn't go up!

That time of year , Merry Christmas!
                        Brian Greenall
                        Melbourne, OZ
                        sigpic

Comment

When we lived in the Boston area (Burlington- '71 - '73) my wife drove our '66 Avanti to work rain, snow, sleet, whatever and never had any problems with traction. That was with regular old bias ply tires and Twin Traction. I drove the '64 Champ downtown every day with no problems (R-1, Powershift, TT, studded Sears radial snow tires). It was a good intimidator in the daily commuter stoplight drag races.
                          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
                            Ed, I don't know how you can live in that envoirment let alone drive in it.
                            70-75 F out here, the top doesn't go up!

That time of year , Merry Christmas!

I propose that the SDC institute a Christmas contest in 2017, with the grand prize being an all expense paid trip to Australia for the winner & his favorite Studebaker!

(beautiful photo Brian!)

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                              When we lived in the Boston area (Burlington- '71 - '73) my wife drove our '66 Avanti to work rain, snow, sleet, whatever and never had any problems with traction. That was with regular old bias ply tires and Twin Traction. I drove the '64 Champ downtown every day with no problems (R-1, Powershift, TT, studded Sears radial snow tires). It was a good intimidator in the daily commuter stoplight drag races.
                              I've found that the later Avantis (Chev powered) have wonderful traction in the snow, especially wth a full tank of fuel, good snow tires, and perhaps 50-100 lbs of ballast in the trunk.....Years ago I drove a Studebaker Avanti through a somewhat difficult winter, and clearly remember that the heavier Stude engine did not help that car's traction whatsoever.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X