Nice 1957 Champion DeLuxe @ Mecum Kissimmee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice 1957 Champion DeLuxe @ Mecum Kissimmee

This looks like an unusually nice car. Correct battery hold-down and, OMG, original-looking spring hose clamps! (Not that I'm a fan of those spring hose clamps, but it is rare to see them this late in a car's life):

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    This looks like an unusually nice car.
    I'll say!!

I actually hope it does sell for a good dollar, because of how unusually nice it is!

Craig

Comment

Beautiful car. I like '57 sedans a lot. It doesn't look like this one has Overdrive though.

I don't care about authenticity when it comes to those awful spring hose clamps. When doing radiator and hose service on all my old cars through the years, I always replaced them with the stainless steel screw clamps.

Comment

Some of my Corvairs used spring type battery cable clamps, and I liked them.

I don't recall any problems with radiator and heater hose spring clamps.
        What years of Studebakers used the spring clamps?

Comment

A nice car for sure, but....... I friend of mine brings up the 61 Champ truck that was a 6 that went for 41,000 at a Barrett Jackson. That truck as was point out here had some restoration issues.

If this car goes for GT Hawk money, what does that do for the rest of us? Nothing. People will then look at there almost beyond restoration Scotsman and want $8,000 for it. "It will take just a little work and be worth $30,000." I can hear that now.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

Question: My 1957 President Classic was Azure blue and Wedgewood blue and the inside of the fenders were painted Azure blue. I believe that this Champion has black fenders inside. If it's all original, shouldn't the inside of the fenders be grey like the firewall? Just asking the experts out there.
            Bill L.
            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
              Question: My 1957 President Classic was Azure blue and Wedgewood blue and the inside of the fenders were painted Azure blue. I believe that this Champion has black fenders inside. If it's all original, shouldn't the inside of the fenders be grey like the firewall? Just asking the experts out there.
              Bill, I don't know if it is purported to be all original; just "mostly."

You are correct, it would appear the fender aprons on either side of the engine compartment have been painted chassis black. You can see on the right apron when the paint has flaked off, revealing the original lighter color underneath. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Black inner Fenders or not it's still worth whatever someone wants to pay.

It might be needing nothing but Overdrive to be a Great Show and Drive Car.

You can easily fake original Paint or Chrome, but not an Interior like that!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That is one nice ride-- and in the same colors my Parkview wore when she left South Bend to boot!!!

I wonder why the '56 wheelcovers though...?

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                  No- on a two tone car (in '57) they should match the lower color on the body.

Don't ask me why- but that is how my '57 Commander is as well.
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                    That is one nice ride-- and in the same colors my Parkview wore when she left South Bend to boot!!!

I wonder why the '56 wheelcovers though...?
                    That's what I thought, too, Dave, but take a closer look at them in several of the photos. They really are 1957 wheel coevrs that have been polished so many times that the black paint has been rubbed off where it belongs on the outer flutes.

So I know what you mean and at first, I, too, thought they were 1956 wheel covers, but they aren't. BP

Comment

Okay, BP,

Speaking of nice Champion sedans, what is the status of this one now? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...es-Record-Time

Craig

Comment

OPPS, Dave just said he goofed that Inner Fender Color, the Firewalls are Lower Body Color, but since the Fenders were Painted separately the Upper Body Color was just rolled right over the Top of the Fenders and lightly painted or oversprayed on the Inner Fenders, so would be White.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

In the November, 2016 issue of Hemmings Classic Car, there is a one page article of Detroit Underdogs on the 56-58 Studebakers. There are two artwork pictures from promotional material from the time, and then one actual photo - and this car is the subject of that photo

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                            Okay, BP,

Speaking of nice Champion sedans, what is the status of this one now? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...es-Record-Time

Craig
                            The purchaser hasn't done much with it, Craig. It's still sitting on his gravel driveway on the south side of Plainfield IN, pretty much as you see it there. He's accumulated a few parts for it, but that's about it. He has a lot of irons in the fire and isn't getting any younger, if you know what I mean. BP

Comment

My 57 Commander, Taupe over white: firewall taupe, inner fenders white, inside trunk taupe.

Comment

Working...
                              X