A Very Rare, Unusual Studebaker A/C Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Very Rare, Unusual Studebaker A/C Panel

This one is amazing, it appears to be the Control Panel for an Early Studebaker Air Conditioning System for the Trunk and Rear Shelf Mount Novi Unit.

It has TWO "Blowers", a "Cold" Knob and a Toggle Switch on the side.

It is at 1:16 to 1:17 Min. into this 8.52 Min Video on U Tube.

StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

My 56 President Classic, currently owned by Jon Carter in Scottsdale, has the same set up and on the back of the trunk mounted unit is a emblem Studebaker Air Conditioning.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

So '59 was the first year for the under-dash unit?

My father always said those rear AC were pretty useless on a good hot Texas day - the sun would heat up those plastic tubes to the point that when the air exited it had already warmed somewhat - but it had to be better than nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        This one is amazing, it appears to be the Control Panel for an Early Studebaker Air Conditioning System for the Trunk and Rear Shelf Mount Novi Unit.

It has TWO "Blowers", a "Cold" Knob and a Toggle Switch on the side.

It is at 1:16 to 1:17 Min. into this 8.52 Min Video on U Tube.

https://youtu.be/tPxCbIfyMxA?t=77

Ghaaa!!!

I've gone through four '55 prez parts sedans and one of 'em had the entire set up but I sold it a decade and half ago because it was six volts rather than twelve. I did keep the original rear shelf piece that has all the holes in the right place. (At least I think that it's still there underneath other stuff in this never ending project with the car that I kept).

That system would be perfect for the big sedans but the extra needed refrigerant back in the day was just prohibitive so out it went!

Now, I'm having second thoughts...

Comment

I believe 1958 was the first year for an under dash unit. Both the rear mount and under dash were an option. The 58 at the start of the thread with the A/C must be a rare option in a low production year.

The kids and I took a trip in the summer to my grandmothers in Clarkdale, in the 56 President Classic, across to California at night in the summer. It was the only time that all three of them wanted to sit in the back seat.

Bob Miles
          Tucson AZ

Comment

I had a 54 LandCruiser with a 56 AC unit in the trunk, (taken of a wrecked 56 years ago and stored in the attic) it was converted to 12 Volt and had a Sanderson compressor, it had a 289 with 54 intake and valve covers to look original. it had a hard time keeping the battery charged with the AC on very long. but worked very good on short trips. And yes she was a close friend of Sheba.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
              My 56 President Classic, currently owned by Jon Carter in Scottsdale, has the same set up and on the back of the trunk mounted unit is a emblem Studebaker Air Conditioning.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ
              Likewise, my 1957 President Classic had the same factory-installed A/C control panel and a Novi unit in the trunk. There's a thread somewhere in the Forum that talks about these A/C units. The plastic tubes coming out of the rear parcel shelf should be next to impossible to find!

Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_112.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1711533Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1711534Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1711535
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                Ghaaa!!!

I've gone through four '55 prez parts sedans and one of 'em had the entire set up but I sold it a decade and half ago because it was six volts rather than twelve. I did keep the original rear shelf piece that has all the holes in the right place. (At least I think that it's still there underneath other stuff in this never ending project with the car that I kept).

That system would be perfect for the big sedans but the extra needed refrigerant back in the day was just prohibitive so out it went!

Now, I'm having second thoughts...
                Move to Great Falls Mt. and air conditioning will be the last thing on your mind. Twenty below this morning supposed to "warm" up to ten below today. A real cold spell supposed to be on the way later in the week.

Comment

More cowbell!!!!!
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                    I had a 54 LandCruiser with a 56 AC unit in the trunk, (taken of a wrecked 56 years ago and stored in the attic) it was converted to 12 Volt and had a Sanderson compressor, it had a 289 with 54 intake and valve covers to look original. it had a hard time keeping the battery charged with the AC on very long. but worked very good on short trips. And yes she was a close friend of Sheba.
                    Bob, didn't Johnny Wiffer buy that car from you?
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Bob, didn't Johnny Wiffer buy that car from you?

Yes he did Dave, I have no idea what has happened to it since he passed.
                      101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by 56GH View Post
                        There's a thread somewhere in the Forum that talks about these A/C units. The plastic tubes coming out of the rear parcel shelf should be next to impossible to find!
                        Here is one previous thread on them, with a close-up of the controls on a '55 in Post #33 here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-sold-survived!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X