Radiator Interchange '53 C/K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Radiator Interchange '53 C/K

I've seen the specific aftermarket aluminum radiators by Wizard that cost well over $400. Probably not out of line, price wise, for a low-volume product.

However, most radiators out there often have a common core size, tank configuration, and outlet location. So, rather than reinventing the wheel, I was wondering if anyone knew what applications have similar dimension radiators for a more common application that might mean more choice and lower prices.

My tape measure says the core on my '53 C/K is 15" tall and about 24" wide (going by memory as I'm not near my car right now). 15x22 is a relatively common GM size in crossflow (which are generally more efficient - all else being equal) and you can find aluminum ones under $150 with outlets in the appropriate place.

Has anyone successfully used/adapted one of these (or any other) and recall the original application?
    -------------------
    Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

From what I understand that a Nissan 280Z radiator is almost a bolt in for the 53-55 C/K's

Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by MChance View Post
      From what I understand that a Nissan 280Z radiator is almost a bolt in for the 53-55 C/K's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-Datsun-2...9XzNvf&vxp=mtr
      Thanks!

Seems a little wide, but again, my 24" number is from memory...there is a support that would account for additional width though...and those tabs might bolt into the support...again, all from memory. I'll have a look in the next few days to confirm.

The drain out the bottom may prove challenging...
      -------------------
      Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

I recently installed a Wizard aluminum radiator in my daughter's 59 Hawk. I was concerned about the price and how well it would fit. As it turns out it fit perfect. I compared all the dimensions with the original radiator and it was an exact copy except that it was thicker and had 1 1/4" tubes which cool like crazy. I'm running a Chevy 350 and live in a very hot humid climate. The radiator solved all my cooling problems. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money again for such a great fitting and extremely well cooling radiator.
        Note: The only big difference between the Wizard and the original was the size of the outlet. The lower outlet was about 1/4" larger, this was not a bad thing since one of the ways you can get more cooling is by increasing flow and it's hard to get enough flow through a smaller hole. The 1 1/4" tubes allow for greater flow so it would have been counterproductive to keep the smaller outlet. So I'm very glad the outlet was larger!!

Treblig

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback on the Wizard!
          -------------------

Comment

One problem with the Datsun radiator is the bottom fitting may have to be made to angle up to clear the frame. All the radiators I tried came too close to the frame to fit a hose. Not too big of a problem. -Jim

Comment

I fitted a Jeep radiator, sold as a Jeep/Chev V8 conversion to my 63 Hawk. Fitted perfectly once I trimmed 1/2" off the mounting tangs. 24" rings a bell. Anyway, it was only $159 and top and bottom outlets are perfect location and correct diameter.

Comment

Here is what I used and how. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-over-C-K-cars

Comment

Doesn't a 53 use a shorter radiator than a Hawk?

Comment

Yes, the 53-55 C/K's use a shorter radiator than the 56-64 C/K's
                    Mark Chance

1933 Model 56 5 window Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                      Good thread & info - thanks!
                      -------------------

Comment

I used Classic Custom cooling's cc4952 in my truck which is more suited to a car as it's shorter. But was much cheaper at less than $200....

Comment

See the "Radiator Lady" in SoCAL.

They custom make aluminum radiators. They use a high fin count core, use thicker material for the tanks than most places do. His welds are very nice.
                          While I don't recall what I paid for it, it was more than acceptable to either off the shelf and custom units.
                          All I can say is, mine gooks good, fits, the in/outlets are correct, etc..! The only thing is that I had to drill the attachment holes...!?!?

Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X