Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'63 Cruiser Drivetrain swap into a '60 Lark Wagon....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: '63 Cruiser Drivetrain swap into a '60 Lark Wagon....

What all would be involved in swapping a '63 Lark Cruiser drivetrain into a '60 Lark Wagon? The '63 has a 289 w/ AT / Power Steering and the '60 is a 259 w/ 3 on tree. I am assuming that the driveshaft would need to be addressed to make it fit properly with the AT.
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Not too tough on this one. Virtually all parts will interchange as though they were born there. I don't recall the wheelbase on the two cars, but check to see if they are the same. If so, even the driveshaft will swap over. Do you have the rear end from the Cruiser also? If so, swap that in too. The brakes should be the same or very close to the same. But just in case keep the Cruiser brakes too. The frames are same except for the length, but check that to be sure, so the suspension will be easily exchanged. Its one of the easiest swaps to do. Change out the steering column so you have the shifter and indicator for the automatic. All that linkage will bolt in too.
    sals54

Comment

Infidel,

So what's wrong with the 259, three speed? Unless the original is trashed I can't see any reason to put a great deal of effort into a project for very little positive return! By the way, you are probably not going to get away without also changing the rear-end, because of the different gear ratios. Both cars should have a Dana 44, so except for the 63's self adjusting brakes the swap should be pretty straight forward, but again why go through the trouble?

Comment

I was thinking the same thing as Hallabutt. I'd sure be satisfied with a 259, and would like the work and cost savings.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
          Infidel,

So what's wrong with the 259, three speed? Unless the original is trashed I can't see any reason to put a great deal of effort into a project for very little positive return! By the way, you are probably not going to get away without also changing the rear-end, because of the different gear ratios. Both cars should have a Dana 44, so except for the 63's self adjusting brakes the swap should be pretty straight forward, but again why go through the trouble?

Well... For starters, many of us older lazier types would prefer the automatic which should be the heavy duty version since it's coupled to a 289.

But that's just me but I do fit the personality of old 'n lazy..

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
            Not too tough on this one. Virtually all parts will interchange as though they were born there. I don't recall the wheelbase on the two cars, but check to see if they are the same. If so, even the driveshaft will swap over. Do you have the rear end from the Cruiser also? If so, swap that in too. The brakes should be the same or very close to the same. But just in case keep the Cruiser brakes too. The frames are same except for the length, but check that to be sure, so the suspension will be easily exchanged. Its one of the easiest swaps to do. Change out the steering column so you have the shifter and indicator for the automatic. All that linkage will bolt in too.
            I believe that the rear end is still in tact with the car. It was rear ended a few years back from what I have been told. Has been parked ever since. This is all promising info, Sal! Thanks!

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
            Infidel,

I have wanted to swap out to an AT for quite some time. It was the original intention of my Uncle and I when it was his car. He wanted it to be a easy around town driver when needed, especially with the hills of Seattle. I would much rather have an AT anyways. I have always had one and quite like the ease of driving them, but maybe I am just lazy lol. My intent on the original engine/trans is to rebuild at some point and store(since I have the space) if I ever decide to go back to the original combo down the line.
            1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
              Well... For starters, many of us older lazier types would prefer the automatic which should be the heavy duty version since it's coupled to a 289.
              But that's just me but I do fit the personality of old 'n lazy..
              So I take it you did not read Post 6, 8, 10 and 13 here:

Normally Standard, non "R" Series, 289's did NOT have H.D. Flight-O-Matics.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Maybe that's His personal preference as a combo?, Factory or not.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

That would be fine Joseph, but THAT is NOT what the Man said!
                  You need to learn to READ what people actually SAY, not what you THINK they may have.

If uncorrected, these incorrect statements tend to mislead the newbies that want to know how they actually were built to know what to expect if still original.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well... Excuse me!

You mean to say that the engine/PowerShift combo that I removed from a '63 Hawk wasn't HD as the engine was a standard run-of-the-mill 289, not an R series!

I don't profess to know it all but can cite my personal experiences.

(snort)

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                      Well... Excuse me!

You mean to say that the engine/PowerShift combo that I removed from a '63 Hawk wasn't HD as the engine was a standard run-of-the-mill 289, not an R series!

I don't profess to know it all but can cite my personal experiences.

(snort)
                      I've heard a deer snort and a hog snort but I've never heard a SDC member snort............pretty cool!!

Treblig

Comment

I believe 6 cylinder cars had a "light duty" auto trans, and v8 cars had a comparably "heavy duty" transmission-- am I wrong? Or do we need to refer to them as "medium duty" so that we can accurately call the "heavy duty" ones "heavy duty"? How about we call them 'Heavier duty"? Holy Smokes!
                        1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                        1951 Champion Business Coupe
                        1951 Commander Starlight
                        1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                        1953 Champion Starlight
                        1953 Commander Starliner
                        1953 2R5
                        1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                        1957 Silver Hawk
                        1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                        1959 Silver Hawk
                        1961 Hawk
                        1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                        1963 Daytona Convertible
                        1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                        1965 Cruiser
                        1970 Avanti

Comment

Many questions on this forum can be answered by going back to the forum archive and look at the posts.
                          108 pages with thousands of posts.
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...x.php/f-8.html.
                          Many forum readers probably do not know that this archive is available.
                          Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                            Many questions on this forum can be answered by going back to the forum archive and look at the posts.
                            108 pages with thousands of posts.
                            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...x.php/f-8.html.
                            Many forum readers probably do not know that this archive is available.
                            Robert Kapteyn
                            While a good source of info, it's a lot easier to start a fresh thread than it is to potentially spend hours trying to find an answer.

Just because someone remembers a thread covering a topic 5 years ago, doesn't mean the question can't be answered again.

Comment

Excellent point Matt !!!

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                              While a good source of info, it's a lot easier to start a fresh thread than it is to potentially spend hours trying to find an answer.

Just because someone remembers a thread covering a topic 5 years ago, doesn't mean the question can't be answered again.
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X