No announcement yet.

Pop Quiz: What did Parnelli do in '62?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: What did Parnelli do in '62?

Time to give away another small, NOS uncirculated 1964 Studebaker brochure, #PD-64-11, courtesy of The Studebaker National Museum:

Said brochure will be mailed postpaid to the first person to post the correct answer regarding the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race in which Studebaker played a significant role by furnishing The Official Pace Car (a 289-powered 4-speed Daytona convertible) and all the 500 Festival Cars, which were 180 HP 259s with Flightomatic:

Question: What significant Indianapolis Motor Speedway "barrier" did Parnelli Jones break during qualifications?

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

First to qualify at more than 150 MPH
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

The first to have all four (4) qualifying laps over 150 mph.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The first two posts seem to be right on.
        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
          First to qualify at more than 150 MPH
          BINGO!

Is your address still on Maria de Fortuna in Yuma, Tim; per The 2015 SDC Membership Roster?

Please confirm and I'll send out the small brochure.

(Paul is also correct, Post #3, but that post was 25 minutes after Tim's.) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Old PJ broke two barriers!
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Ok what is Parnelli Jones first name? I don't have anything to give away but just the undying admiration of someone else that has a bunch of trivia facts.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                Ok what is Parnelli Jones first name? I don't have anything to give away but just the undying admiration of someone else that has a bunch of trivia facts.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ
                Rufus. Full name Rufus Parnell Jones, I believe, to be exact.

More name trivia: In the name J. I. Case, what does the "I" stand for?

BP

Comment

Jerome Increase Case, founder of CASE tractor/steam engine company sometime before the civil war. Very unusual name not one that comes to mind often.
                  Most people do not know that Rufus was his name. I just remember reading it in "They Call Me Mister 500" and the Studebaker chapter as well as all the other great parts of that book.
                  Bob you do have my undying admiration

Bob Miles
                  Tucson AZ

Comment

I believe his car caught on fire in the pits in 62 and put him out of the race.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                      Jerome Increase Case, founder of CASE tractor/steam engine company sometime before the civil war. Very unusual name not one that comes to mind often.
                      Most people do not know that Rufus was his name. I just remember reading it in "They Call Me Mister 500" and the Studebaker chapter as well as all the other great parts of that book.
                      Bob you do have my undying admiration Bob Miles Tucson AZ
                      That's not warranted, Bob.

I looked it up on Wikipedia. BP

Comment

Bob-You have my correct address. Also just found out there is an article about our '53 custom in the the January Hemmings Motor News!-Tim Painter
                        Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
                        jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by paintim613 View Post
                          Bob-You have my correct address. Also just found out there is an article about our '53 custom in the the January Hemmings Motor News!-Tim Painter
                          'Got it, Tim; thanks. Brochure will be mailed Monday, December 12. BP

Comment

Re Mr Jones had the pleasure of meeting him at indy in the early 70"s A really nice man His winning car in 63 was nic named Old Calhoun #98 from JC Agajanin Foyt used to him "Ruf" Lord, i'm getting old! Also was there when he drove the turbine in67 The race was stopped by rain and resumed the next day on the opening lap jones ,who started on the outside of the second lap pulled out and passed the entire front row ..you should have heard the bellyaching from some of the other drivers especially Foyt Of course foyt won that year,his 3rd win, when the turbine broke with 3 laps to go Foyt assumed the lead ..On the final lap on the main straight away coming out of turn 4,Carl Williams hit the wall and cause a huge wreck but foyt had slowed and managed to weave his way through it We were sitting on the main straight it happened right in front of us
                            Last edited by prescottstude; 12-12-2016, 08:31 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Those were the golden years of the Indy 500 IMHO.
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                              X