PDA

View Full Version : Transmission: Identifying an Avanti automatic transmission?

scottsewall
12-08-2016, 07:46 PM
How can you tell if an automatic transmission is from a Studebaker Avanti?

Is there a casting number of serial number on the plate that can be used?

Thanks!

-- Scott

Warren Webb
12-09-2016, 12:05 AM
The easiest way is the position of the 2 arms on the side of the trans. Powershift (Avanti) transmissions have both arms parallel with each other, pointing upwards.

scottsewall
12-09-2016, 03:11 AM
So the transmission in this picture would not be Powershift?

scottsewall
12-09-2016, 05:10 PM
I'm told the green tag will say "AS2-10".

Here's a picture. You can see the two arms pointing upwards, as Warren commented earlier.

thunderations
12-09-2016, 07:16 PM
If the Studebaker trans is like Ford, the shift arms can be taken off and indexed in the up position to work with the floor shifter. Done it many times on C4's from column shift to floor shift, or vice versa. Have to drop the pan to make the change.
Studebaker may be different, but I can't see building an entirely different trans just because of the shifter location

StudeRich
12-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Your first "eliminator" should be the Cooling Lines on the Right Side, None will eliminate all but the rare H.D. Flight-O-Matics and Power Shifts.

GrumpyOne
12-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Wouldn't all Powershifts be orientated the same, Lark/Hawk/Avanti?

studegary
12-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Wouldn't all Powershifts be orientated the same, Lark/Hawk/Avanti?

Yes. The orientation only separates the Powershift from the more ordinary FlightOMatic. The liquid cooling lines separate the Powershift from the more ordinary FlightOMatic, except for the uncommon Heavy Duty FightOMatic.

64V-K7
12-10-2016, 02:48 PM
Yes. The orientation only separates the Powershift from the more ordinary FlightOMatic. The liquid cooling lines separate the Powershift from the more ordinary FlightOMatic, except for the uncommon Heavy Duty FightOMatic.

The shift quadrant, facilitated by the valve body was also different for the Powershift..... PRNDL vs PNDLR Not evident by looking at a trans, sitting on the floor however

WCP
12-10-2016, 03:45 PM
As StudeRich indicated, if it doesn't have the cooling line ports, then it is not a Powershift. The valve body assembly part number is 10-1A200 and the lower valve body number is 10-200. I have the actual casting numbers somewhere, but not handy at the moment. If the lower body of the valve assembly has any number other than 10, i.e. 5,7 or 8-200, then it is not a Powershift transmission.

joncon
12-10-2016, 05:08 PM
My 63 R1 Cruiser has the cooling lines, does that mean the transmission is rare? It is a column shift. Did all automatic R1 cars have the Heavy duty or Powershift transmissions?

mbstude
12-10-2016, 05:50 PM
My 63 R1 Cruiser has the cooling lines, does that mean the transmission is rare? It is a column shift. Did all automatic R1 cars have the Heavy duty or Powershift transmissions?

Along with the other transmissions available, there was a Heavy Duty Flight-O-Matic. Sounds like that's what you have.

StudeRich
12-10-2016, 11:15 PM

I guess there are more than one ways to understand "Rare"! Yes fewer Cars had that Trans.; Police, Taxi, H.D. Sedan are some plus Special Order and some R1 Engined Cars.
In this case a H.D. is better than a Standard FOM, but in MHO a Power Shift is the BEST!

But to answer the Last part of your question, I'd have to say MOST R1 Larks/Hawks by far had Powershifts, remember they continued into '64, and a fair amount of '63's had H.D. Flight-O-Matics, BUT not all. :ohmy:

I know of Two of a few, we rebuilt it's R1 in a early '63 Cruiser, that did come with a Standard air cooled Flight-O-Matic and the same owner also has a R1 '63 GT Hawk with Original FOM.

Warren Webb
12-11-2016, 01:13 AM
I just thought of another way to tell. FOM transmissions will (on the shift arm) "click" 5 times from park to reverse while the Powershift trans has 6, p r n d 2 1.