Anti-creep question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Anti-creep question...

Hello, My 50 Commander has the anti-creep feature on the automatic. My problem is I accidentally let the master cylinder run dry while I was bleeding the brakes, and now I cannot get a firm pedal after re-bleeding the whole system.

I am wondering if the anti-creep feature needs to be bled somehow -- a friend told me he thought there was some way to do it but was not certain. The 50 shop manual does not cover any automatic transmission issues. Thanks for any insight...
    sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
    Regal Deluxe Trim
    Automatic transmission
    46k original miles, 4th Owner

The Automatic Transmission has its own separate shop manual. My copy is currently buried some place in my home reconstruction.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Anti-Creep has a square-topped screw sticking out the top. hard to see, harder to unscrew, but that's what you gotta do, loosen it enough to let the air out as you pump the brake pedal. Once brake fluid comes out, hold the pedal down until the screw is tight.

Comment

After I posted this, I found the automatic transmission shop manual for sale and it just arrived today. I don't find any special instructions for the anti-creep. It just says to reassemble it back on the master cylinder, bleed the system. Just in case, I looked all around the top of the unit with a mirror, and see no bleeder screws, so maybe that was for a later model car? Anyway, I am sort of stuck again. I am going to check my connections again and try pressure bleeding the system. Running out of ideas what could be my problem...
        sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission

Comment

Here's a page on Anti-creep. The only thing you bleed are the brake lines.

Tom: you may have been thinking of the No-Rol (not on automatics)
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
            Tom: you may have been thinking of the No-Rol (not on automatics)
            Perhaps, but the last unit I looked at/worked on was on my '55 with Auto. I thought I remembered the square headed bleeder....oh well, its still better than pushing up daisies.

Comment

Update is I figured out I have a wheel cylinder sticking so I need to either clean out and perhaps get it sleeved. What is strange is I just rebuilt the front cylinders last year. But somehow they got gunked up with brake dust or something. The rubber seals are fine. Any ideas what would cause this?
              sigpic

Regal Deluxe Trim
              Automatic transmission

Comment

Most probably left over in the lines, not brake dust getting in-unless the cylinders were honed so much that moisture is getting in there. I run pure acetone through the lines before reassembly to clean them. Also the "gunk" could be deteriorating rubber hoses, a very likely source.

Comment

Working...
                X