Wheels with radials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: Wheels with radials

My Sky Hawk has radials, and I understand that if you put them on riveted wheels it's not supposed to be safe. I have no idea what kind of wheels I have except that they, like the ones on the bus, go round and round.
    peter lee

Hi Peter, I have a 4 year old so I appreciate your humor.

Generally speaking the older wheels like your can't take the stress and flex of radial tires and often crack. Many have experienced wheel failure so this has become a concern, however, many have not had any problems. Tires and brakes are the most important safety items so it would be prudent to make the switch. A Ford wheel from the 70s or 80s will work fine.

Comment

Do a search on this Forum on this subject. There's a ton of information.
      Bill L.
      1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Generally speaking the older wheels like your can't take the stress and flex of radial tires and often crack. Many have experienced wheel failure so this has become a concern, however, many have not had any problems.
        Yes, radial tires on older wheels will eventually be a problem. Modern radials are also too wide for the weenie Stude 4.5" wheels.

No, not always immediately. It depends on how the wheels were treated prior to radial installation and how the car is driven afterward. Some of us drive our Studes like we're still seventeen and trying to get to Gulf Shores in time for the party. Others go slowly-slowly and stay near home.

Maybe, don't take the chance; just get the later Ford, Mopar or custom wheels made for radial tires. It will be immediately noticeable the replacement wheels will be wider, so the radial tires will function as designed and since the wheels are about twice as heavy, ride will be slightly worse, due to increased unsprung weight.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

I'm getting ready to put new 215/75R15 tires on my '56 President 2 door. Rather than reuse the narrow 60 year old wheels that are on it, I just bought a set of 15x6 "smoothies" from US Wheel, available at Summit Racing. The Studebaker wheelcover fits on them just fine. Price was $250 for 4 with free shipping.

I prefer new wheels over antique ones, or junkyard specials. Like Jack V. said, some of us drive our cars a lot of miles, and like a bat out of hell. I'd rather eliminate the risk of wheel fatigue.

Just another option.
          Last edited by mbstude; 12-07-2016, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Hi Matthew,

Would you mind sharing the part number of the wheels you ordered?

thanks

Dan T

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Timberlake View Post
              Hi Matthew,

Would you mind sharing the part number of the wheels you ordered?

thanks

Dan T
              U.S. Wheel 51-5610

They're bare steel, no paint whatsoever. No trim rings but they did come with the small chrome hubcaps. (I'll be using the Stude full wheelcovers). Oh, and they are dual lug pattern. They appear to be well made and should work just fine.

Comment

I just ordered 4 of these for my 1960 Lark wagon. I bought the 3 1/8" center rims, but I can't remember now if I could have used the 2 3/4" centers. I can tell you, if you have full wheel covers, which I do, they will fasten securely with this newer rim style but that if you have the smaller wheel covers, you'll have to find a work around to fasten them. I believe there is one though.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
                  I just ordered 4 of these for my 1960 Lark wagon. I bought the 3 1/8" center rims, but I can't remember now if I could have used the 2 3/4" centers. I can tell you, if you have full wheel covers, which I do, they will fasten securely with this newer rim style but that if you have the smaller wheel covers, you'll have to find a work around to fasten them. I believe there is one though.
                  http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...xle/wheel.html
                  How much does it weigh?
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                    How much does it weigh?
                    Hmm. Not that much, that I remember. I can't say now as the tires are mounted on the rims and waiting on what all I have to do to get that damned rear drum off my Lark. I also did 2 rims per paycheck. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                      Yes, radial tires on older wheels will eventually be a problem. Modern radials are also too wide for the weenie Stude 4.5" wheels.

No, not always immediately. It depends on how the wheels were treated prior to radial installation and how the car is driven afterward. Some of us drive our Studes like we're still seventeen and trying to get to Gulf Shores in time for the party. Others go slowly-slowly and stay near home.

Maybe, don't take the chance; just get the later Ford, Mopar or custom wheels made for radial tires. It will be immediately noticeable the replacement wheels will be wider, so the radial tires will function as designed and since the wheels are about twice as heavy, ride will be slightly worse, due to increased unsprung weight.

jack vines
                      How can I tell if my wheels are damaged or unsafe?
                      peter lee

Comment

I'd look for straightness, cracks, rust or loose rivits.
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I iI you are running tubeless tires I would assume there would be loss of air. Are the riveted wheel sealed for tubeless tires.
                          Hawkowner

Comment

Hi Peter,
                            Having spent 40+ years in the tire/wheel/automotive aftermarket, I heartily agree with Jack V & Matthew regarding Ford/Chryco replacements. A wheel (should say extremely narrow) which is at least 52 years old should not be trusted for other than local events. One problem is that previous installers did not take the appropriate care, which is mandatory, on a such a narrow, non disc brake wheel during dismounting and installation. My recent acquisition, a 25,000 original '59 Lark had it's 4 1/2" wheels tortured by the previous installer and it had only received one new set to replace the bias tires. I would never trust them after being pressured and twisted due to improper installation. Plus they will probably be vibration prone.
                            I have also used US Wheel # 804 in 15X6 Daytona style which is already black powder coated painted and no issue if you are using full wheel covers. On the Lark I used 215/70r15 on 15x7 Chryco Cop car wheels and on my '57 Clipper Wagon, 225/75r15 and they look and work great. And yes, do further searches here as this has been a hot topic.
                            Good luck,
                            Bill

Comment

You can get new Chrysler type wheels from Wheel Vintiques (15, 6 width, 4.5 bolt circle, 3.5 offset). I got a set of 5 for my Avanti and mounted Toyo 215 - 70 with narrow white stripe.

Comment

Working...
                              X