On the Market: Studebaker-related Real Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Market: Studebaker-related Real Estate

It's a safe bet that a higher percentage of Studebakers raced at this strip through the years than at any other drag strip in the country:

Osceola Drag Way - 56328 Ash Rd, Osceola, IN. This 171.55 AC Land is for sale on LoopNet.com. This 171 + acre parcel of property has large frontage on both Ash

It's a little early to be thinking about it, but do you suppose we could start a GoFundMe page so that when he expires in 30 or 40 years (he's only 81 now), we could buy this and establish The Ted Harbit Memorial Drag Strip in South Bend's back yard? BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-06-2016, 07:58 AM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Why do we feel the need to build on every plot of land? What a great opportunity to put in a park that everyone can use.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Ahhh, left some rubber on that track with my 62 Daytona and then later after getting out of active duty with a 67 Galaxy. I remember when the jet cars came for exhibition runs and had to shut down at mid course or risk going through the fence and across CR 6. At one time the launch area was concrete and if you needed to slam second where the old asphalt started, it got tricky to not snap an axle or over rev the engine. Lots of grudge races were settled at Oscey.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Thinking out loud: With the land zoned residential, would there have to be a change in zoning and a hearing to allow the change? 171 acres may be prime development property. I don't know how the zoning laws are in Indiana or the city of Osceola would allow the business to continue as it has been.

We have across the street from our neighborhood, where I have lived for 25 years, a Ramada hotel with 115 rooms. I used to work there part time doing night audit and front desk work. Just two weeks before Thanksgiving we all were called into a meeting. The property had been sold and was going to be turned into a Drug and Alcohol Rehab center. Because is was already zoned commercial, the new owners did not have to tell anyone what they were doing and got it approved by the city. At the meeting, all were promised jobs to carry over, but that did not come about except for a few people. The facility next door is the Canyon Crown Pub. Great food and nice atmosphere family friendly. Well, I guess the recovering addicts will need someplace to eat if they get tired of the institutional food

Bob, if you could get a go fund me for Harbit Harbor, that would be great.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          It's a safe bet that a higher percentage of Studebakers raced at this strip through the years than at any other drag strip in the country:

Osceola Drag Way - 56328 Ash Rd, Osceola, IN. This 171.55 AC Land is for sale on LoopNet.com. This 171 + acre parcel of property has large frontage on both Ash

It's a little early to be thinking about it, but do you suppose we could start a GoFundMe page so that when he expires in 30 or 40 years (he's only 81 now), we could buy this and establish The Ted Harbit Memorial Drag Strip in South Bend's back yard? BP
          Suggested uses on the webpage are Nursing Home and Seniors' Living Facility!!

Craig

Comment

Private Club complex with homes/garages...where we could build - tune - run..Without the need to waste time loading a trailer and hauling everything to the track. Club house/common garage with the heavy tools and lifts. 20 of us could make it happen if the zoning could be changed so we could run (at least at pre-arranged times during the week).
            sigpic

Comment

Sign me up!!! Can I also run my Chevies along with my Lark?

Comment

Has that track shut down?
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Too bad about Osceola. I trailered the M5 truck to South Bend for the 2007 meet, had a great time at Osceola running the slug of an M5 against real cars. I drew Mike Myer in "Snoopy" on one run, couldn't hear a thing except his exhaust noise, had no idea when to shift - as if it mattered for the outcome. I saw this old guy driving another M5, thought I had a chance. No, it was Digger Dave Molnar in his hopped up, blue M5 with side-draft Jaguar carb and swoopy exhaust. I lost again, big time! Eventually, Phil Harris ran his big diesel car hauler against my M5 and I won - my 24.5 seconds and 47 mph for the 1/4 mile versus his 25-something seconds. We all had a good time and no dolphins were injured by our activities.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1204.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1711422 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1217.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1711423Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1220.jpg
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1711424Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1219.jpg
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	1711425Click image for larger version

Name:	Ash-M5_vsHarris-diesel_SB2007.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	1711426
                  Gary Ash
                  Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                  ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                  '48 M5
                  '65 Wagonaire Commander
                  '63 Wagonaire Standard
                  web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    Has that track shut down?
                    No it hasn't, Jeff. Check out Post #11 here:

BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

If I just had another $!,998,999.00 I would buy it.
                      "In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                      X