PDA

View Full Version : Nice Looking 1950 Champion Business Coupe on Ebay

TWChamp
12-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Nice looking car, but he says nothing about it. You have to call. Too bad they didn't add overdrive when they were loading it up with accessories.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Studebaker-Champion-/222335764945?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33c43e89d1:g:1UgAAOSw-0xYRLXk&item=222335764945

jclary
12-05-2016, 08:02 AM
This is a great looking car, but has a horrible sales presentation. It causes one to question what the owner's motivation is regarding the reason for selling it. For example, of the few words given in the ad, what stands out the most is...AS IS!:eek::confused: How is that for impressing prospective buyers that this could be the Car of their dreams?:rolleyes: Allowing the hood to remain "unlatched" for the exterior pics does nothing to show the cool lines of a bullet nose. The oily engine could be due to something as traditional as a leaking timing cover gasket to a cracked head, bad head gasket, fuel pump pivot pin, or blown engine.:ohmy: That speculation is fueled by the "as is" emphasis on what little is given in the verbiage.:(

Visually, the little car looks great, and could be a potential "find" for the right person. But for me, I would have to visit and pour over the car from top to bottom before giving it serious consideration. If that photogenic paint job has been slathered over poorly prepped and patched sheetmetal, it won't be long before it begins to bubble up and flake off.:(

Sorry to be so negative. This could really be a case of someone purchasing a good car and finding the reality of owning and maintaining a vintage car not as exciting as they had thought.:QQ: I have seen that happen often. Some of you north-easterners might do us all a favor by making a visit and reporting back to us. With a few tweaks here & there, this could be a great fun car for the right person. Too few of these business coupes fared well after the original owners finished with them. In my youth, I saw too many of them (Studebaker and others) banged up, kicked around, and used up as cheap utility vehicles.:(

unclemiltie
12-05-2016, 08:38 AM
I have never seen the oil filter canister mounted to the fender. I would think the vibration from the engine would be hard on those lines

TX Rebel
12-05-2016, 09:58 AM
This is a great looking car, but has a horrible sales presentation. It causes one to question what the owner's motivation is regarding the reason for selling it. For example, of the few words given in the ad, what stands out the most is...AS IS!:eek::confused: How is that for impressing prospective buyers that this could be the Car of their dreams?:rolleyes: Allowing the hood to remain "unlatched" for the exterior pics does nothing to show the cool lines of a bullet nose. The oily engine could be due to something as traditional as a leaking timing cover gasket to a cracked head, bad head gasket, fuel pump pivot pin, or blown engine.:ohmy: That speculation is fueled by the "as is" emphasis on what little is given in the verbiage.:(

Visually, the little car looks great, and could be a potential "find" for the right person. But for me, I would have to visit and pour over the car from top to bottom before giving it serious consideration. If that photogenic paint job has been slathered over poorly prepped and patched sheetmetal, it won't be long before it begins to bubble up and flake off.:(

Sorry to be so negative. This could really be a case of someone purchasing a good car and finding the reality of owning and maintaining a vintage car not as exciting as they had thought.:QQ: I have seen that happen often. Some of you north-easterners might do us all a favor by making a visit and reporting back to us. With a few tweaks here & there, this could be a great fun car for the right person. Too few of these business coupes fared well after the original owners finished with them. In my youth, I saw too many of them (Studebaker and others) banged up, kicked around, and used up as cheap utility vehicles.:(

That is just what happened to my Q body coupe, Joe. The doors are still painted with a Missouri plumber's sign. Sadly, the plumber turned it into a pick-up. The custom wood bed did not last long, but the butchery done to make it fit has. I hope to someday find a parts car with a hopelessly rusty lower body &/or fr end but with a solid panel behind the rear glass to replace mine with.

ddub
12-05-2016, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=TWChamp;1026508]Nice looking car, but he says nothing about it. You have to call. Too bad they didn't add overdrive when they were loading it up with accessories.

I think I see an overdrive handle under the dash.

Corvanti
12-05-2016, 01:53 PM
I think I see an overdrive handle under the dash.

i'm not sure on the '50, but the two handles on my '51 are the hood release and starter.

someone nearby should check it out. since it's a no reserve auction, and no bids so far - the $7,500 might be a bargain.

fpstude
12-05-2016, 02:44 PM
The handle you see is "H", hood release. If installed, overdrive would be to the right "OD". To the left would be "W" for the heater, if there.

fiveftsix
12-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Looks quite a bargain from what I see.For one thing those gauges are in very nice shape
It points to me it`s been stored inside going by the lettering on those gauges.also the door cards aren`t all messed up either.
Needs the cats whiskers and probably renewing quite a few of the seals
And with them missing does support my inside storage theory
As to the oil filter relocation maybe a previous owner didn`t like stretching right over the fender to change the element !!
But other than that looks very unmolested.
If it doesn`t go much higher I believe someone will end up with a bargain
As to the vague description maybe he didn`t want to write blurb about it and still get more questions
It certainly doesn`t stop anyone calling the seller about it though !!

abkco
12-06-2016, 01:17 AM
I agree. Overdrive would help . But a very nice car all the same

fiveftsix
12-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Not sure how you come to the diagnosis of an oily engine ??

Looks quite dry to me apart from the dampness on the inner passenger fender and that may be due to the worm drive clip on the hose under it.
The head has flaking paint and surface rust more akin to a motor used for short journeys where condensation has caused it back in the garage over night.
The base of the carb isn`t smothered with crud and the manifolds look very clean for a leaking or old oil burner.
Looking at the mileage and taking into consideration it`s age I would come to the conclusion it`s all original.
Also look at the picture of the open trunk I`m not sure the coating of the floor is original but just look at the bottom of the divider that you can just see in the upper top of that picture wish mine was as mint as that one is !!

[QUOTE=jclary;1026513]This is a great looking car, but has a horrible sales presentation. It causes one to question what the owner's motivation is regarding the reason for selling it. For example, of the few words given in the ad, what stands out the most is...AS IS!:eek::confused: How is that for impressing prospective buyers that this could be the Car of their dreams?:rolleyes: Allowing the hood to remain "unlatched" for the exterior pics does nothing to show the cool lines of a bullet nose. The oily engine could be due to something as traditional as a leaking timing cover gasket to a cracked head, bad head gasket, fuel pump pivot pin, or blown engine.:ohmy: That speculation is fueled by the "as is" emphasis on what little is given in the verbiage.:(

[/Q

TWChamp
12-09-2016, 11:13 AM
Has anyone out east looked at this Business Coupe in person?

It sure looks like a nice car that should have a bid by now. Maybe it's just the wrong time to try selling a car.