Change rear end gearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change rear end gearing?

Since I do a lot of highway "cruising" in my '62 GT 4speed, I was wondering if it would be worth the time, money, and effort to swap out the 3.31 gears in back for some 3.09's or whatever the automatics come with.

I'd think it would allow me to keep up with most highway traffic in and around the 70mph range without having such high RPM's as I presently have. I was thinking more of saving wear and tear on the motor, than any savings in fuel economy, even though that surely would be a welcome side-effect.

I don't do any "competitive" driving, (like drag racing), so the idea of the higher gearing resulting in a loss of off the line acceleration, doesn't bother me there.

My GT does not have the TT either, if that matters.

Opinions appreciated.

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Karl, I replaced my 64 R1 GT's 3.54 with a 3.09 for the same reason: to try to make it more like a modern car with lower highway rpms. There is no problem with take off and acceleration. Its now about 2800-2800 at 70 mph; the 3.54 was about 3100. Many modern cars are still lower than that, so its still not quite the same.

Comment

The small change from a 3:31 is not worth the effort for less the a 10 percent drop in RPM. I don't even like to launch a 4 speed with 3:31's, anything lower numerically would drive me nuts. My 4 speeds are 3:73's and I can live with that at 70 MPH, but 3:54's might make me happier. Since you have a 62, you might have a lower first gear then my cars though.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

If you knew what your first and second gear ratios were, then you could take off in second a few times and get a general idea of how high of a ratio you could live with.

Comment

For what it's worth...I fully agree with JDP. Leave it as is.
          The car was designed around the gear that's in the car. It doesn't hurt it a bit to twist it a little tighter.

Mike

Comment

If you have a close ratio trans (2.20 low), you will have a hard time getting it rolling with 3.09's and it will feel like a slug until the revs pick up a little. You'll go through clutches much quicker.

If you have a wide ratio trans (2.54 low), it will most likely be driveable, but you'll have taken away a lot of the "fun factor".

A wide ratio box with 3.31's is near perfect IMHO. Relatively low freeway RPM's and quick off the line acceleration. Unless you do ALL long distance, freeway driving, I don't think you'd like the performance trade off for a couple hundred RPM lower cruise.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hey Karl, how about an inline overdrive? Pricey, but useful if it would fit the car and the budget. www.gearvendors.com
              I seem to remember that tranny being a 2.20 unit, I think I have that info in my notes....somewhere.
              Let me know if you need it.
              Bill

WP FOY, Ontario
              1964 Wagonaire Slider
              Bill Foy
              1000 Islands, Ontario
              1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Captain Billy

Hey Karl, how about an inline overdrive? Pricey, but useful if it would fit the car and the budget. www.gearvendors.com
                I seem to remember that tranny being a 2.20 unit, I think I have that info in my notes....somewhere.
                Let me know if you need it.
                Bill

WP FOY, Ontario
                1964 Wagonaire Slider
                If you would please, Bill. That would be very kind of you. Thanks.

Karl

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

For what it's worth...I fully agree with JDP. Leave it as is.
                  The car was designed around the gear that's in the car. It doesn't hurt it a bit to twist it a little tighter.

Mike

To ALL that replied....yeah, I suppose all of you are right, the drop of only a couple hundred "R's" probably ain't worth it. I was just thinking out loud, that's all....plus trying to wring as many miles out of this baby before things start to wear out.

Thanks

Karl '62 GT 4sp

Comment

trade ya my 3spd overdrive set up for your 4 speed.........
                    ( he types with a cheesey grin )
                    think of all the cruising you could do at 75 all day long........

Erin Hays
                    "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                    RZRECTD
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Lark
                    1963 Wagonaire

Comment

My 62 Hawk has a 3:54 stock with automatic and two barrel. I changed motors and went with a four speed stick overdrive and now the gear is perfect.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

My 62 Hawk has a 3:54 stock with automatic and two barrel. I changed motors and went with a four speed stick overdrive and now the gear is perfect.
                        Where did you get your 4sp stick OD, and did you intall it yourself of have someone do it for you? Either way, is it much of a job? I presume the driveshaft needs to be changed., what else? Would you mind passing on to me the cost as well?

T'nks

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 1961HAWK

trade ya my 3spd overdrive set up for your 4 speed.........
                          ( he types with a cheesey grin )
                          think of all the cruising you could do at 75 all day long........

Erin Hays
                          "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
                          RZRECTD
                          1961 Hawk
                          1962 Lark
                          1963 Wagonaire

Hmmmm, the gears (pun intended) are turning. I'll give it some thought.

Karl

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by buddymander

Hmmm...that must be one of those weird Ford Econoline van 4 speeds with only 3 non-overdrive gears and 4th over! Don't they have a compound low so you only have 2 usable in town gears?

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Karl- Your solution may very well be in a conversion to 5-speed. This gives you a nice low first gear so you can launch easily, and a top gear around .06 for those low highway RPMs you want... best of both worlds!

This is just what I'm planning for my Daytona. The TREMEC 5-speed is a pretty simple conversion- Dan Gibbs has made an adapter kit available. The internal rail shifting design is highly superior to stock, the trans. itself is extremely durable, parts and info are easy to come by, and they're not prohibitively expensive; and there's no permanent alteration if you want to go back to stock!

I'm going to go this route in the Daytona project I'm planning. I'm thinking I'll use the stock shifter lever for that originl look- a very simple conversion, and no one will know by looking!

Be sure to read Tom's thread here (he's sbca96)- he's doing this exact conversion on his Avanti. This thread is worth it's weight in GOLD!

If you do this, you may well find the gears you have are just right as is; if not, the TREMEC range will make it much easier to pick what gear you want!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X