Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Mechanic in Long Island (was: bill hunter)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking Mechanic in Long Island (was: bill hunter)

good morning
    I am trying to get some info on repair shops on long island n.y.
    thinking about having engine and trans work done
    carbon on the startup that stops after a few minutes
    blue smoke and smell while driving I have been told possibly rings
    it's a 1949 commander deluxe with a 245 6 cyl.
    that's #1.
    #2 is speedometer digits are not turning my father-in-law tried a few times taking it out
    not having any success, and he was good. i'd like to get it right.
    #3 defrost/ heater unit under passenger seat where to start getting that working.
    I can do minor repairs tune ups, oil changes, brakes, and such
    these area's may be a little much.
    I posted once before and you guy's were a great help with getting history on the car.
    thank you in advance for your time, help, and advice.
    fellow stude guy
    bill hunter

Defrost/Underseat heater: there are four areas that need addressed.
    1) does air get to it? it is supplied with air from two sources, the vent in the passenger front fender and the interior vent. To move air through the heater core, either the outer door must be open, or it is shut and the inner door must be open and the fan must work.
    2) it must be supplied with hot water from the engine. There should be 2 3/4" hoses from the engine to the heater core, one goes to control on the dash, then to the heater, the other is a return. The control must function, too.
    3) there is a duct from the fan to the heater core, beneath the floor on the passenger side, a 4" diameter tube. Sometimes they are/were made from heavy paper and if it is collapsed or gone, it must be repaired/replaced.
    4) the heater core must not leak.
    The defroster is considerably simpler than the heater. It is supplied by two smaller diameter hoses, coming off the heater supply. It takes it's air from under the dash, no ducting there, but it blows air on the windshield through two small ducts, they must be in place.
    Of course, both of these units need electricity to their fans.

You can check out these parts, hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
      Defrost/Underseat heater: there are four areas that need addressed.
      1) does air get to it? it is supplied with air from two sources, the vent in the passenger front fender and the interior vent. To move air through the heater core, either the outer door must be open, or it is shut and the inner door must be open and the fan must work.
      2) it must be supplied with hot water from the engine. There should be 2 3/4" hoses from the engine to the heater core, one goes to control on the dash, then to the heater, the other is a return. The control must function, too.
      3) there is a duct from the fan to the heater core, beneath the floor on the passenger side, a 4" diameter tube. Sometimes they are/were made from heavy paper and if it is collapsed or gone, it must be repaired/replaced.
      4) the heater core must not leak.
      The defroster is considerably simpler than the heater. It is supplied by two smaller diameter hoses, coming off the heater supply. It takes it's air from under the dash, no ducting there, but it blows air on the windshield through two small ducts, they must be in place.
      Of course, both of these units need electricity to their fans.

You can check out these parts, hope this helps.

thank you tom
      hoses and tube are visible in engine compartment.
      will have a look and follow them to unit as well as dash control.
      i am missing the cable from control on dash to valve cover unit/valve.
      only have the flex cable/cover attached to control knob,that looks
      like a good place to start (i think?).
      thanks again
      bill

Comment

Working...
      X