1947-1952 Radio Gasket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947-1952 Radio Gasket Question

Does anyone know where I can get replacement material for the gasket that goes around the speaker portion of the Philco radios that were used by Studebaker for the years 1947-1952? I know over those year the speaker area had round gasket patterns and then to rectangular by 1952. I would imagine it was the same gasket material through that range of years? What is the reason for why it looks like the gasket melts of the years? Does it really get that hot behind the dashboard?
    1947 Studebaker M-5
    1946 Studebaker M-5
    1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
    1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
    1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

The original gasket is made out of natural rubber which deteriorates over the years. I've been using sponge rubber house type weather stripping that can be found at places like Home Depot or Lowes. I buy the appropriate width strip and glue the edge of the weather strip to the front of the radio. The gasket is used to be sure that the speaker is sealed to the instrument panel. If it isn't, the bass response of the radio suffers. Bud

Comment

What Bud said.
      You can also buy similar weather strip material at many auto parts stores. After putting it on with its own "stickum" I put some thin super glue on the mating surfaces and weight the gasket with a board until the glue sets.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I tried round closed-cell foam that you use to fill large cracks before caulking but it was too dense and I had trouble finding adhesive that would hold it so I finally went with what Bud suggests. The trick is getting the right width (depth?). It needs to make a good contact all the way around.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice. I will be heading over to the hardware/automotive store this weekend.
          1947 Studebaker M-5
          1946 Studebaker M-5
          1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
          1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
          1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

I use the black 3M weather strip adhesive to secure the foam tape to the front of the radio which works really well, but can be messy if too much adhesive is used. Bud

Comment

Working...
            X