1961 Lark OHV L6 Valve Stem Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1961 Lark OHV L6 Valve Stem Seals

My son's '61 Lark with OHV L6 seems to be in need of new valve stem seals. On startup, it burns off quite a bit of oil from sitting overnight. Otherwise, no oil smoking once running and the oil has cleared after startup.

Wondering what everyone is using for seals, and where to get them. I haven't pulled anything apart yet, and don't want to do so until I have the new parts, so I don't know what they even look like...

I've read that some seals require valve guide machining, and I don't what to get into that. Just want to replace the seals with new ones, and see if it cures the problem.

I found these on-line:

Oreilly version

Napa version (out of stock)

Summit version

Are these the right seals for the 170 OHV Six?

Thanks for any input, and tips or tricks to installing them!

Pete

An OHV Studebaker six cylinder uses the same umbrella valve seals as a Studebaker V-8, which is a good thing.

Comment

IMHO...I think you need to determine what the cause is on your oil use/loss...

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
        An OHV Studebaker six cylinder uses the same umbrella valve seals as a Studebaker V-8, which is a good thing.
        For the good of the order, I'll send you a set of umbrella seals for the cost of postage.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
          IMHO...I think you need to determine what the cause is on your oil use/loss...
          Well, based on the car's symptoms, I'd say it has a valve stem seal problem. The seals are whopping $6.00, so it's worth a shot. I can't imagine they don't need to be replaced, based on everything else on the car that is either worn out, or installed upside down and backwards by various previous owners.
          I'm not ready to pull the head off for a proper look-see, but it does need to be done. It looks like it was installed with RTV silicone gasket sealer... Maybe in the spring. Until then, I'd like to take care of the simple stuff first so that Ben can keep driving the car. Just hoping that the head doesn't have the dreaded cracking common to these engines. If it keeps running ok, I don't want to open the can of worms yet.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          For the good of the order, I'll send you a set of umbrella seals for the cost of postage.

jack vines
          Jack, this is super kind of you. I went ahead and picked up a set from O'Reilly this morning, so I already have them on hand. I truly appreciate the offer though, Studebaker folks are good people!

Pete

Last edited by blueskies; 12-01-2016, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Pete, have you installed the new seals yet? I'm curious if it fixed your problem. I've developed the same problem on my 63 Lark OHV 6, and I was thinking the same thing. Keep us updated.

Thanks

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by Surfpilot View Post
              Pete, have you installed the new seals yet? I'm curious if it fixed your problem. I've developed the same problem on my 63 Lark OHV 6, and I was thinking the same thing. Keep us updated.

Thanks

Nate
              Nate-

We did get the new valve stem seals installed. I posted a few pics in Ben's Lark thread here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-61-Lark/page2

We haven't driven the car much since getting it all back together, but it did seem to help some. It used to blow a cloud of blue oil smoke on start-up after it had been sitting overnight. Now, on start-up, the blue smoke is less noticeable and it seems to clear out and run better when cold than it did before.

I think it is better than it was, but the engine has other issues to sort out. Mostly the carb, it is running way to rich. I think it was worth the effort to put the new seals in.

Pete

Comment

Working...
              X