1956 Flight Hawk with no bids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Flight Hawk with no bids

I'm surprised that someone hasn't bid on this. I'd be interested if it was left stock, but it seems to have the mods that so many people do to their cars.

I looked at it but when I saw GM V6, I moved on.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

That car was built by Enrique "Henry" Hernandez. Last I knew, he and his wife were living in the Atlanta area. He was one of the early members of SDC in Long Island, and hung around with Harry Barnes, Tony Caralla, Frank McManus, and the rest of those guys.

I know that Henry sold the car a few years ago and it looks like the left rear has been damaged since then. It's a nice car that was built to drive.. I saw it at numerous meets over the years. I think it's more the poor ad/lack of info that's scaring people away.

Comment

I agree. There isn't a good picture of the engine, and he doesn't say which engine it is, other than GM V6.
        The 3.8 in my 1999 Olds is a great engine for power and economy, and I've told many that if I was building a rod that's the engine I'd want.
        But I like my cars stock, or at least stick to the Stude V8, which IMHO is a great engine.

Comment

Matt,

Enrique and his wife retired to Florida a few years ago and sold the car while living there. They were North GA chapter members.

Comment

If it's a 4.3 chev 262 cu in. which is just a 350 less two cylinders it would have as much horsepower as a stock 289 and maybe get better mileage.

Comment

If I needed another Hawk, I wouldn't mind owning this one even though it's not original. The Stude six wouldn't be my first engine choice, I think the GM 4.3 is a good repower choice for a drivable, reliable vintage Stude.

Comment

I don't generally care for the look of painted pot metal pieces, on the C & K models, but in this case it seems to me to be quite tastefully executed.

Mark
                sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                  I agree. There isn't a good picture of the engine, and he doesn't say which engine it is, other than GM V6.
                  The 3.8 in my 1999 Olds is a great engine for power and economy, and I've told many that if I was building a rod that's the engine I'd want.
                  But I like my cars stock, or at least stick to the Stude V8, which IMHO is a great engine.
                  If this Hawk has the first 231 CID odd fire V-6 in it,, STAY AWAY,, FAR AWAY !! The worst of any V-6..

Comment

Not really any of my affair, but just reading the listing, some random thoughts:

THE BAD PART IS THAT A CAR TRANSPORT COMPANY BACKED IT INTO SOMETHING ON THE WAY UP FROM FLORIDA AFTER I BOUGHT IT A FEW YEARS AGO AND DAMAGED THE LEFT REAR QUARTER PANEL AND TAIL-LIGHTS. I HAVE NEW TAIL-LIGHTS AND A USED QUARTER PANEL MOULDING THAT GO WITH IT. I ALSO CAN GET A NEW OLD STOCK QUARTER PANEL FOR IT FOR AN ADDITIONAL $1000. BUT I THINK THE QUARTER PANEL ON IT IS EASILY FIXABLE. THESE QUARTER PANELS BOLT ON SO IT'S A PRETTY EASY JOB.*
                    It's all too often a car for sale needs major work and the seller expounds on how easy and cheap would be the fix. If that's true, why hasn't he done it already?

If the transport company damaged the car, they paid for it. What happened to that money?

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

As Flight Hawks go, that's the only one I've ever seen that I'd care to own. More info on WHICH GM V6 would be helpful though.

Comment

Originally posted by benaslopoke View Post
                        If this Hawk has the first 231 CID odd fire V-6 in it,, STAY AWAY,, FAR AWAY !! The worst of any V-6..
                        Off topic, for sure, but since I have one on a stand, what V-6 would have been in a 65 Buick Special/Skylark? Is it the odd fire that you say is bad?
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The GM V-6 doesn't put me off as much as the ugly steering wheel. The wheel makes me me wonder if the steering and/or frame has been messed with and that makes me want to know more than the seller is telling.
                          Like many cars on ebay, a serious buyer should do a personal inspection before deciding. Distance often makes inspection difficult.
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            Off topic, for sure, but since I have one on a stand, what V-6 would have been in a 65 Buick Special/Skylark? Is it the odd fire that you say is bad?
                            Some of the Buick V/6's were odd fires. I have one in a 77 Pontiac Firebird equipped that way from the factory and it now has 115 K on it with no problems what so ever.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                              I'm not sure about the years, but one way to tell if it's odd fire is to look at the angle of the V and the crank throws. If the angle is 90* and the pairs of rods are on one straight crank journal, then it's an odd fire V6. Later GM offset the journals to make it an even fire. Basically this was like cutting the journal in the middle and shifting the two halves in the mold. Other V6 engines used a 60* block to make it even fire.

Comment

Working...
                              X