Studebaker engine rebuilder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker engine rebuilder.

I have a Studebaker that needs an overhaul. I could take it to my choice of 3 or 4 local engine shops to have the machine work done. With that being said I would rather support one of our Studebaker vendors. I think it's good business. I have a choice of a 259 or a 289. The 259 is standard bore and standard crankshaft 2bbl carb. The 289 is .030 overbore and standard crankshaft 4bbl. The engine will probably get a performance upgrade but nothing too wild. It has to be done in a reasonable time and it needs to be done correctly. Will you guys please recommend a vendor for the parts and machine work needed for an overhaul? I will pick engine builder/machine shop based primarily on recommendations from the experts here on the forum first. Distance from me will be a secondary consideration. I live in Iowa.

I do not know if Jon and Mike Myer's Shop in Duncan Falls, Southern Ohio is too far or not, but you would not get any better work anywhere.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Check with Jack Vines (PackardV8 on this forum) regarding the machine work. For parts, talk to Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Pakes' Engine and Machine, Janesville, Wisconsin. They have all Studebaker engine specs and has done lots of Studebaker V8s and sixes. He also provided some trophies for the 2000 SDC International. Fairborn Studebaker for parts.
        Richard

Pakes' Engine & Machine, Inc., Janesville, Wisconsin. 1,041 likes · 2 talking about this · 34 were here. Gas and diesel engine rebuilding. Custom engine building. Performance and stock engine parts...
        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

I used Phil Harris from Fairborn when I did my 259 a few years ago and can second the recommendation.
          Bob
          Bob
          Welland Ontario
          60 Lark Convertible
          64 Daytona
          sigpic
          "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Phil Harris will also do the rebuilding for you. He's redoing an R2 for a friend at the moment that was screwed up by someone else.

Jack Vines will build you an engine, put it in a crate, and ship it to you.

You can't go wrong with either one of those guys.

There's another shop here in north Florida that is as good as it gets for Studebakers, but that might be too far and he's swamped at the moment.

Comment

Pakes' has all the special fixtures to do Studebaker blocks and heads. He bought the special tooling to do them when I requested them for my engines.
              Richard
              The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Rdweaver Where in Iowa are you? what is the motor going into? If your just looking to build a nice stock type driver and not going for max hp. Almost any good rebuild machine shop should be able to handle it. It's just a motor not rocket science. I would go with the 289 no matter what.

Comment

I was just going to ask , what is so different or special, in the machine work of a studebaker engine. Basic assembly seems to be straight forward.
                  1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
                  Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                    Rdweaver Where in Iowa are you? what is the motor going into? If your just looking to build a nice stock type driver and not going for max hp. Almost any good rebuild machine shop should be able to handle it. It's just a motor not rocket science. I would go with the 289 no matter what.
                    There are those among us that particularly love the 259" engine, so do what is best for you.

Comment

I'd definitely take it to Jack V., Phil H., or Pakes. The Stude motor has enough particulars to cause some real problems, if rebuilt by someone who is not familiar. Been there-done that.

Comment

Jack Vines (PackardV8) is my recommendation. He just did a 259 for me that runs beautifully. All balanced and runs smooth as silk. I had Jack build this one after a very bad experience with a local shop that resulted in a ruined crank shaft. I can't say enough good things about the work Jack did or the support he gave after the fact when I had questions.
                        Wayne
                        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
                          I have a Studebaker that needs an overhaul. I could take it to my choice of 3 or 4 local engine shops to have the machine work done. With that being said I would rather support one of our Studebaker vendors. I think it's good business. I have a choice of a 259 or a 289. The 259 is standard bore and standard crankshaft 2bbl carb. The 289 is .030 overbore and standard crankshaft 4bbl. The engine will probably get a performance upgrade but nothing too wild. It has to be done in a reasonable time and it needs to be done correctly. Will you guys please recommend a vendor for the parts and machine work needed for an overhaul? I will pick engine builder/machine shop based primarily on recommendations from the experts here on the forum first. Distance from me will be a secondary consideration. I live in Iowa.
                          Since you're in Iowa, contact Brad Bez in Missouri to rebuild your engine to whatever level of performance you desire.
                          PM here on the forum, or email bez-hawk@outlook.com
                          Lew Schucart
                          Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

I count four good ones above, so far, so it sounds like there are several good Stude motor rebuilders, therefore one can be choosey. I'd choose one with a great, RECENT reputation, with references. Of course, price, agreed upon services, warranty, and turn around time would also be major considerations. Location would be least important, even if a so-so builder lived across the street. Shipping is just the cost of doing business nowadays, and a pallet or crate is much easier than re-do of someone else's crappy work. JMHO

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                              Location would be least important, even if a so-so builder lived across the street. Shipping is just the cost of doing business nowadays, and a pallet or crate is much easier than re-do of someone else's crappy work. JMHO
                              This is so true, I do not know who rebuilt the the engine in r3623, But I found the rear main seal installed backwards, that was the original reason I pulled the engine for the leak, upon tear down, I found a incorrectly installed cinch bolt on a rod that slipped out chipped the ear off the piston skirt. , incorrect shimmed valve springs and new style stem seal laying on the guides. they needed to be cut down for a proper fit. and a retainer that was so worn out it was cupping on the top of the spring. All on a engine with 500 rebuilt miles. I had to go thru the entire engine , and with help from the forum. Rebulid it.

So yeah what Joehall said.
                              1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
                              Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X