Deviation from Standard ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deviation from Standard ?

I have just seen the Lark of th12t33n (with a name like that does he have a licence to kill, rating?)in the Member's Studebakers forum.I was wondering what the name of that colour might be? I had my choice of colour for a Lark down either Black, or two-tone - red under a white roof.Lately i am considering silver?!

My feeling is that the abovementioned Lark is not painted in a factory colour? (although i read a reply today where the member stated Studebaker Co's willingness to please customers requests regarding options, in trying to explain a anomality in the finish of a specific Lark's doorpanels )

I am torn between two viewpoints for a daily driver.
    Stay with the original car and colour schemes; or
    go for upgraded brakes/tires and a "modern" colour paint.
    A feeling of "enjoy what you appreciate,but add to what you consider unsafe/uncomfortable"

I am new to the SDC and from reading the posts/replies get a definite feeling of a certain conservatism regarding the manner of restoration/rebuild/alterations to Studebakers,that members would feel comfortable with.
    The loyalty generally runs deep; and some members even have trouble in using famous Automobile names; but would only refer to " brand-x " or " ...i also had a F..d ...";
    It seems that something like the term Mopar might be more easily used, because it is not a manufacturers name , but refers to a family of cars.

Is there a general consensus of the amount of deviation from what was built in Southbend that is acceptable in the SDC , and what would not be considered out of bounds? (eg. the use of some items of trim like a dash and instruments from a Hawk in a Scotsman ; or God forbid ; a Dodge engine in a Lark!)

Regards
    Peet
    Pretoria

All things are accepted in SDC. The type and amount of changes made would only be a determining factor in which class it should be judged: stock, modified or custom.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

All things are accepted in SDC. The type and amount of changes made would only be a determining factor in which class it should be judged: stock, modified or custom.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

One Stude enthusiast's opinion.

My '53 is nearly bone stock. There are a few tweaks, like radial tires which make it ride oh so well.

My '55 President State is going to be somewhat custom/modified. The color will be my choice, the front seats will be modern/comfortable with built in 3 point belts, the tires will be radial. The upholstery will be frugal. Other than that (with a few more exceptions) it will be as it left South Bend in '55.

It's said here all the time, Your Car, Your Choice.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
        Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction)
        '60 Lark VI (Sold, delivery in early Jan.)
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

One Stude enthusiast's opinion.

My '53 is nearly bone stock. There are a few tweaks, like radial tires which make it ride oh so well.

My '55 President State is going to be somewhat custom/modified. The color will be my choice, the front seats will be modern/comfortable with built in 3 point belts, the tires will be radial. The upholstery will be frugal. Other than that (with a few more exceptions) it will be as it left South Bend in '55.

It's said here all the time, Your Car, Your Choice.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
          Tom Bredehoft
          '53 Commander Coupe
          '55 President State Sedan (Under Construction)
          '60 Lark VI (Sold, delivery in early Jan.)
          '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
          All Indiana built cars

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studewannabe
            I am new to the SDC and from reading the posts/replies get a definite feeling of a certain conservatism regarding the manner of restoration/rebuild/alterations to Studebakers,that members would feel comfortable with.
            I think that's a correct observation, Peet. There are more SDC members into stock (or near stock) Studebakers than into Custom and Modified ones. That's probably only natural since it is a STUDEBAKER club and not a hot rod club [^]. With that said, probably the two biggest classes on the concours field at an SDC meet are the Custom and Modified classes [:0] (partially because those classes encompass all years and all models of Studebaker cars and trucks)

If you are already an SDC member you know that custom and modified cars are not only ALLOWED in the club, they are encouraged. Brian Curtis writes a monthly column for Turning Whees where several nice customs and modifieds are highlighted.

Like Tom said..."It's your car and your choice". Enjoy the hobby any way that suits you. You'll be welcome by the SDC.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Studewannabe
              I think that's a correct observation, Peet. There are more SDC members into stock (or near stock) Studebakers than into Custom and Modified ones. That's probably only natural since it is a STUDEBAKER club and not a hot rod club [^]. With that said, probably the two biggest classes on the concours field at an SDC meet are the Custom and Modified classes [:0] (partially because those classes encompass all years and all models of Studebaker cars and trucks)

If you are already an SDC member you know that custom and modified cars are not only ALLOWED in the club, they are encouraged. Brian Curtis writes a monthly column for Turning Whees where several nice customs and modifieds are highlighted.

Like Tom said..."It's your car and your choice". Enjoy the hobby any way that suits you. You'll be welcome by the SDC.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Peet - you have the checkbook, so do what you like.
                Even the purists in this club show chinks in their armor (whether they admit it, or not).
                Welcome, and have a ball with us!
                The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Peet - you have the checkbook, so do what you like.
                  Even the purists in this club show chinks in their armor (whether they admit it, or not).
                  Welcome, and have a ball with us!
                  The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Even though my '59 is mostly stock, I appreciate a well-done modified/custom just as much as anyone. As has been stated before, it's your car, your money, do whatever you want with it!

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Even though my '59 is mostly stock, I appreciate a well-done modified/custom just as much as anyone. As has been stated before, it's your car, your money, do whatever you want with it!

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Quote of the week!

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Quote of the week!

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Quote of the week!

Words we should live by, right?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

Quote of the week!

Words we should live by, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X