55 speedster measurement please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 55 speedster measurement please

I would like to get the distance between the front edge of the front fender to the front tip of the upper front fender trim piece, it appears to be about an inch. Anyone willing to help?
    Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
    ______

'51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica

Mine is only about 7/16" inch, measured from the edge of the chrome headlight bezel to leading edge of the ornament on the top of the fender.

My only reservation is my suspicion that NOS front fenders were possibly installed back when the car was repainted (perhaps in the seventies). There is pristine primer underneath, not the undercoating of the rest of the undercarriage. My car happens to be South Bend production from December '54. I have no idea if use of templates for adding the fender ornaments varied with location of production or batches of cars built.

Gil
    Last edited by riversidevw; 11-25-2016, 05:48 PM.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Does the top of the fender have a constant curve? Is it possible that there is only one position where the ornament will sit properly/flush on the fender?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        Does the top of the fender have a constant curve? Is it possible that there is only one position where the ornament will sit properly/flush on the fender?
        It has a curve but I don't know if it the same all the way long. My front fenders are fiberglass and holes need to be drilled. I'll go with 7/16", can't be that far off.
        Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
        ______

'51 Muntz Jet
        '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
        '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
        '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
        '56 Corvette SR replica

Comment

Working...
        X