Question for 58 owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for 58 owners

Ok, I am wondering if it is just me or not. Every 58 Commander, President or champion that I have come across has had trouble with the doors closing correctly. On sedans it is just the front doors, the back usually close beautifully. They either seem to bind and need adjustment between the fender and the front door edge, or they don't click shut with a firm sounding clunk, but rather seem like they did not shut at all, even if they did catch. Is it just the cars that I am running across that have worn strikers and such or were they always this way from the factory? The striker plates and door catches don't look worn on the cars I am talking about.

Hi Jim,

Many years ago I had a "58 Commander two door hardtop.
    I don't recall any problems with the doors having problems closing or latching.

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk
    51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Hi Jim,

Many years ago I had a "58 Commander two door hardtop.
      I don't recall any problems with the doors having problems closing or latching.

George
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      65 Commander 2door
      64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
      63 Champ
      63 GT Hawk
      51 Champion Starlight Coupe
      George King
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Jim, do your '58's have rusty floors around the front door post? If they are rotted out there or had front end collisions those are very common reasons for that condition.

In the late 1950's and early 60's even into the 1970's, many people were still driving these cars daily and when they got in a fender bender, the Insurance Co.'s barely could justify a repair on a Studebaker because of the value, so if it DID get repaired and not totaled you can just imagine the quality of that job!

It is much cheaper to hang a used fender and call it good, than it is to pull the frame first and then do it right.

Also there could be excessive wear on the door latch rotary catch or the striker is improperly installed without a slight tilt upward to tighten (lift) the door as it closes. Use Lock-Ease lube on them too.

Those same doors and latches are common to 1956 to 1962 4dr. sedans and none of them will ever close like a 1952, the '47-'52 body is much more solid than 1953 & on. It is my opinion that those old 4 screw strikers were way better than '56 & on!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jim, do your '58's have rusty floors around the front door post? If they are rotted out there or had front end collisions those are very common reasons for that condition.

In the late 1950's and early 60's even into the 1970's, many people were still driving these cars daily and when they got in a fender bender, the Insurance Co.'s barely could justify a repair on a Studebaker because of the value, so if it DID get repaired and not totaled you can just imagine the quality of that job!

It is much cheaper to hang a used fender and call it good, than it is to pull the frame first and then do it right.

Also there could be excessive wear on the door latch rotary catch or the striker is improperly installed without a slight tilt upward to tighten (lift) the door as it closes. Use Lock-Ease lube on them too.

Those same doors and latches are common to 1956 to 1962 4dr. sedans and none of them will ever close like a 1952, the '47-'52 body is much more solid than 1953 & on. It is my opinion that those old 4 screw strikers were way better than '56 & on!

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Brings to mind, my Father had trouble with the drivers door on a brand new '58 President HT. Dealership tried but never did correct the problem one hundred percent.

Comment

Brings to mind, my Father had trouble with the drivers door on a brand new '58 President HT. Dealership tried but never did correct the problem one hundred percent.

Comment

I've owned several 58 sedans and wagons thru the years - never a problem with the fit of the doors.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I've owned several 58 sedans and wagons thru the years - never a problem with the fit of the doors.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X