The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thunder Hawk Project is back on

After a few months (too many) off for cancer treatments I am so happy to be back working on the Hawk. Here are a couple pictures taken last week.

The Hawk has been moved into its new home in the barn.

Working on the doors to get them ready for some paint. Part of new pan to get this project going again.

Putting up these signs in my shop, office and car to keep me on track and motivated.

I will post pictures and story as things progress. The goal right now is to drive the car to the La Palma Studebaker Meet next year. After beating cancer eight times I have adopted a new life motto:

Living full tilt boogie, add nitro when needed!

Despite the fact that you've had to deal with some serious health issues, I really like your positive attitude and zest to get your beautiful Stude going. Hats off to you.
    All the best,
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Do U realize how fortunate you R to have the facilities to work on that Hawk,Lots of room to move around.Remember the easiest thing to do is take them apart,getting them back together is the trick.
      Good luck with health problems,I have been in remission for 5 yrs. now.

Comment

God bless you Brother

Comment

Like that rolling jig!

Comment

Best wishes on your Hawk and your continued recovery!

Have you written down your plan for it? Can you share it with us?
            Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              Best wishes on your Hawk and your continued recovery!

Have you written down your plan for it? Can you share it with us?
              In his pictures, I think I see, a raised Hawk chassis with front and rear drive axles, a '57 - '59 Silver Hawk body minus the front clip, a Stude V8 with some kind of custom supercharger bracket, a large flow volume carb hat and what looks like, a large bundle of steel tubes as well?

My guess is, that his plan is to, build a Stude powered supercharged 4 WD off road Silver Hawk. I would certainly be interested in any further details he'd be willing to post!

Mark
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Dan's brother here. I should let Dan speak for himself but I have been following his progress since inception and here is what I know. It is not 4-wheel drive. It is getting a Ford front frame as I recall. The rear is Jaguar. Dan is working on a modified Dodge fuel injection system mated to a Studebaker engine. Possibly a Paxton Novi supercharger. He probably could have kept things a lot simpler and got it done sooner, but he is doing this his way and you have to admire his tenacity and gumption.
                He can use all the encouragement we can give him. Thanks guys and gals.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Good luck on the project and glad to see you are on the mend. Praying for you brother

Comment

Ok, seeing the chassis that's on the opposite side of the engine, in the first picture, I made the wrong assumption. It still sounds like a very cool project! Dan, I don't guess correctly all that often. I think, most of us, myself included, would rather hear it from the man with the plan, than have to guess? Please give us whatever details as you are comfortable sharing? Also know, we are preying for you'r good health!

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Sorry I forgot it has been quite some time since I first posted about the project. The last four years have been an up and down battle but I am on the new drug you might have seen on TV called Opdivo. Been on it 18 weeks and it has worked a miracle so I am back in boogie mode.

The project is to re create my very first car which I bought in 1964 for $150. It was a 1959 Silver Hawk that had suffered a wiring fire under the hood. Originally I was going to build a hot rod for me but since things are going the way they are I am now building it for my wife and I to enjoy. So here is the build plan:

Car will be mostly stock body in the middle with custom sheet metal in front and back with LED lighting in custom script cut outs. Paint will be Blue with Silver metal flake (medium flake) on the hood scoop, top, fins and back panel of trunk. Custom pin striping will divide the colors and no trim on the sides or fins. Front clip will be a tilt up unit with electric screw drive ram lifting device.

Frame is Hawk with a 2002 Durango front clip which gives me the thick heavy stiff frame, very large disc brakes, rack and pinion steering and modern suspension. Extra cross members are being added to stiffen the frame mid to back. The frame will be custom painted to match the project. The rear is Jaguar XJ6 with 3:54 gearing and custom axles and adjustable shocks.

Engine is the basic engine I used at Bonneville in 2011. 259 standard bore, Clay Smith camshaft, Novi 2000 supercharger pulleys for 10 psi max, Dodge multi port fuel injection adapted to Studebaker intake manifold. Power will go through a Dodge Torgueflight with six speeds forward including two overdrives and lock up converter. Car will have power steering, air conditioning and cruise control.

Wife and I have designed a custom interior that my wife will sew and we will work together to make it special. The goal is to build a car that performs above average, rides smooth, handles great, is quiet riding and comfortable. Using all Mopar fuel and transmission components allow for going to any parts store and get parts if on the road. Oh and the one request from my wife. "It must not have any sequence to operate". Turn the key and go. So there you have it.
                      Dan
                      The chassis next to the car is a 1969 Bronco that is getting a Coyote engine and custom set up. I am helping the owner (a famous baseball player and manager) in return for using the shop for my project. I think I am getting the best of this deal. The tubing is for the four exhaust pipes that will exit through the rear valance panel (Jaguar style).

Comment

How lucky can us Stude people be when we have guys like Dan, Jeff, Ed, Tom, Richard, etc. that can do all the things they come up with. Most are so far over my head I can't begin to imagine the work and wisdom these people have. Best of luck to all of you and good luck with your health situation Dan.

Ted

Comment

Ted,

Thanks for the kind words. We are all just trying to bring some of the new technology and products into play for us Stude guys and gals. Sometimes you just have to be willing to step outside of the box and try something new. I seem to recall that would describe the years that you were racing the Chicken Hawk. We just happen to be a little (not much) younger and have the advantage of today's machining and other technologies.

Thank you for the good luck wishes. I feel so blessed right now to be feeling better and have more energy than i have in four years. I guess it paid to hang around long enough to be able to receive the newest drug and used your immune system to fight cancer. Sure worked well and fast for me. I figure I need to take full advantage of this time as there are no guarantees for the future. I started a new thread tonight after spending the day with a new Studebaker owner who has a 1949 two door. I told him to come here and check out the Chicken Hawk story for inspiration.
                          Dan

Comment

Ha! You haven't watched me wire up stuff!
                            But it is true... I got a call from Tom C this afternoon as he was on his way home from the track...
                            He made a couple of runs with his white Avanti.
                            One was an 1/8th mile pass, and one ws a quarter mile pass.
                            Broke both ends of his personal best on both runs! Woohoo!
                            He posted about it at: http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo...art=735#p39644

Anyway, to tie this with Dan's post.... Tom motivates me to keep going..
                            He does more by himself that three other people do.
                            I work at a snails pace...
                            So reading from the regulars (like you, Ted), and Dan... Keeps me going.
                            And reading about those recently passed... Makes me hurry up.
                            No time to waste...

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                            How lucky can us Stude people be when we have guys like Dan, Jeff, Ed, Tom, Richard, etc. that can do all the things they come up with. Most are so far over my head I can't begin to imagine the work and wisdom these people have. Best of luck to all of you and good luck with your health situation Dan.

Ted
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I love my wife. She told me I "needed" to go spend some quality time with the Hawk. She has been sick and I have been her 24/7 caregiver for the last five weeks. She is doing better so she wanted to reward me I guess. I put some primer on the bottom of the drivers door where I repaired the rust holes.

While that dried I went out in the yard and drug up the extra hood I have. I started the modifications on it that will be transferred to the good hood when I make sure the angle is what I want. I am laying the grille back as I have never liked the straight up look. Marked it and started cutting.

First angle setting. Not nearly enough.

Next setting was better. It started to rain heavy so I had to quit as I was working outside due to a packed house in the barn. Need to move some thing around to make room for the hood by the door and the welder.

Hope to get back up there on Monday and do some more work on it. Sure was nice to be back working on it. This is the best therapy man can buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X