Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 Engine Changing Revs

Just a question guy's

My 289 62 Hawk feels like it's not running on all cylinders but it appears it is?
    It also changes revs up and down while driving, not a huge amount but noticeable.
    I also have a electronic ignition and Edelbrock 500 cfm 4 BBL

I have to see my mechanic on Tuesday and would like to have some ideas on this

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Wayne

Check the centrifugal advance flyweights in the bottom of the distributor. When they're worn they do strange things.

I have remanufactured ones for sale.

Ken Michael

Comment

Are you just going by the tac? Sometimes tacs get squirrelly.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneXG95 View Post
        Just a question guy's

My 289 62 Hawk feels like it's not running on all cylinders but it appears it is?
        It also changes revs up and down while driving, not a huge amount but noticeable.
        I also have a electronic ignition and Edelbrock 500 cfm 4 BBL

I have to see my mechanic on Tuesday and would like to have some ideas on this

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Wayne
        I had this problem with my '62 hawk after I had installed an electric fuel pump. The pump pressure was 9 lbx. which turned out to be too much for the carp. The needle valve let in extra gas. I replaced the pump with a 3 to 4 lb pump. Could also install a regulator that would be better as you can control the ourput even with a mechanial pump.
        don

Comment

If it is a presto lite distributor. I have found that replacement rotors fit way too loosely, causing changes in dwell and timing when running.
          78 Avanti RQB 2792
          64 Avanti R1 R5408
          63 Avanti R1 R4551
          63 Avanti R1 R2281
          62 GT Hawk V15949
          56 GH 6032504
          56 GH 6032588
          55 Speedster 7160047
          55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Originally posted by GTHawk View Post
            I had this problem with my '62 hawk after I had installed an electric fuel pump. The pump pressure was 9 lbx. which turned out to be too much for the carp. The needle valve let in extra gas. I replaced the pump with a 3 to 4 lb pump. Could also install a regulator that would be better as you can control the ourput even with a mechanial pump.
            X2 - I was about to suggest fuel pressure too high or too low; either will cause the engine to gain/lose speed at a constant throttle. Same with float level, which is affected by fuel pressure.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Going with the fuel also.
              I'd check into the possibility of a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. This will cause a lean condition that will cause the engine to surge, or cause a change in rpm.
              A too lean setup within the carburetor is another...slim... but possibility.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                Are you just going by the tac? Sometimes tacs get squirrelly.
                No you can stand there and listen to it rumble and change revs

Comment

Float Bowl had crap in it - each time the carb would pump fuel in the dirt would block the jet - problem sloved

Comment

Working...
                  X