Oil bath to dry canister conversion - '55 President

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Oil bath to dry canister conversion - '55 President

Has anyone ever converted the oil bath air cleaner for a four barrel carb to a dry filter element? I want it to look original but desire a simpler maintenance regimen.

Or am I expecting too much for a semi-daily driver???

Simpler maintenance than recycling the old oil, wiping the inside clean, and refilling with oil?

Those oil bath filters work pretty well and the filter "element" will never be unobtainable.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Here is how I did a later model oil bath air cleaner. I'm thinking the '55 had the air cleaner that sat above the passenger side head, so this probably won't be applicable to your situation, however.

Link: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ry-Filter-Type
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

I agree with Roy. I cleaned my oil bath when I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago, and don't plan to touch the air filter for at least 20,000 miles or at least 5 or more years.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
          I want it to look original but desire a simpler maintenance regimen.
          Can't get simpler than leaving it as it is. The oil bath is a better filter and was installed on vehicles destined for drier, dustier climates. Replacing a quart of oil every however many years seems a whole lot simpler than chasing a dry filter element that is seldom stocked today, though still available. I've probably put 20,000 miles on my '51 since I last changed the filter oil.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The results are in... "Leave It Alone!" is the winner!

Thanks to y'awl, now all I have to do is to paint it and I'm done...

Comment

Anyone who has actually driven a few thousand miles with a Stude oil bath air cleaner knows what a mess they can be. Oil mist, creep, and splash gets everywhere in the general area. A dry filter element, in an oil bath housing, keeps the area nice and clean, and is hardly noticeable. I have heard oil baths do a better job of filtering, but the dry elements are more than adequate. I came up with a dry element part number, years ago, but it is long gone, since I converted over to the simpler, chrome filter housings many years ago.

Comment

Interesting Joe, this is the first I have EVER heard of one spilling Oil, Leaking, losing Oil spray or anything like that.
                Maybe you live on a 45 degree HILL!

I have always used 40 or 50 Wt. Oil, filled ONLY to the to Fill Line and Arrow, at the top of that half round, curvature at the bottom and never had a problem with one.

Well maybe except the '55 President K model 4 barrel Air Cleaner I got from a Junkyard that must not have had an Oil change in a very long time. There was a hole eaten through the bottom from the Acid buildup and I had to Bondo it up.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree. I have never experience leaking or splash with my oil bath air cleaners. I suppose if you put too much oil in them that could happen.
                  Ed Sallia
                  Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I just put the oil bath decal on mine an hour ago.
                    The black paint was clean and dry, and I haven't touched it since I bought the car almost 3 years ago.
                    I just hope the decal sticks because it was only about 40* in the garage.
                    I probably should have warmed it up with my heat gun.

Comment

Again.. Thanks to all who responded. The oil bath filter stays as is except for new catalyzed paint on the exterior and will end up in the Power Hawk from where it originally resided.

Comment

Working...
                      X