PDA

View Full Version : 60 Lark Wagon Part it or Save it

abkco
11-22-2016, 05:10 PM
I picked up this 60 wagon for parts for my 2 door sedan. However after working on the engine for a bit I got it running nicely. It seems to have a good 259 engine with a 3 speed/od transmission. Not sure if the overdrive works. The body is very clean with just some surface rust. However, the floors are terrible up front. The interior is original, but wrecked. I really don't want a 4 door wagon. Especially without power steering. I hate to part something that seems to be in decent shape. Is the Twin Traction something worth holding onto if I part it? Any thoughts?

StudeRich
11-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Of course the Twin Traction is a keeper for you or the next owner, V8 Wagons have the heavier duty Dana Model 44 Axle.

You can check the Tag on the Diff. cover under a Bolt at about 8:00 to find the Ratio but with Overdrive, it is probably a very desirable 3.54 or 3.73.

This is NOT a lowly 4 Door SEDAN !

On a Wagon, 4 Doors ARE preferred by many as drivers, and Wagons are getting VERY Popular, it should be sold as a running Fixer or restored to "Driver" cond. rather than Parted out.

Also if you have never driven a Lark with Manual Steering, you will find that with good condition Front Suspension, properly Aligned, well Greased, proper P205X75R15 Tires they do NOT steer Hard at all.

Just my very experienced in Studebaker buying, collecting, selling, fixing and scrapping opinion. :)

With the desirable V8, Overdrive and TT this one looks very fixable.
Just check out those excellent Front Fenders! :!:

SEE POST #169 over here on the '60 Lark Registry:
http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?82980-1960-Lark-forum-registry&p=1023431#post1023431

rockne10
11-22-2016, 06:03 PM
SAVE! Sell intact if you don't want it.

Mohr HP
11-22-2016, 06:10 PM
You California guys are sooo spoiled! That thing is a gem! Put a radiator in it and hit he road.

swvalcon
11-22-2016, 06:13 PM
I would save for sure. Clean up the engine compartment and motor good with some gunk and tune it up so it runs good and is drive able. Make sure it stops. Then if you want to go one step farther find some good used tires and rims. should be able to make a couple bucks on it.

what huh
11-22-2016, 06:57 PM
I agree with the above comments, if you were on the east coast I would be interested and then I would turn it into a driver

No joke.... I have been thinking about picking up a lark based model and this fits the bill for my wife and I

Buzzard
11-22-2016, 07:29 PM
A couple of months ago, I posted that I had purchased a really straight, nearly rust free 4 DOOR SEDAN, Flathead six, 3 speed standard, no OD, for some donor parts only for my HT. It was available but no one has been beating my door down to purchase it.
Seems very little interest is garnered in 4 door sedans.
Just my take.
Bill

abkco
11-22-2016, 08:06 PM
I agree. Doesn't seem to be much interest in the 4 door sedans. I thought the two door wagons were more desirable too. Putting it back together won't be a big deal, but the interior will be a big cost.

TWChamp
11-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Four doors never bothered me, and are the most practical. I agree with the guys that this is worth saving, and wagons are becoming more popular. It's just that the fall isn't the best time to sell.

what huh
11-22-2016, 08:43 PM
I think that when it comes to wagons, 2 or 4 doors isn't a worry for most, mainly cause they want the wagon

If somebody is shopping for a car then that is where 2 door is generally perferred

Just my 2 cents

jackb
11-22-2016, 09:07 PM
How often is there more than 1 or 2 people in a car ? Wagon or other ?

57pack
11-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Keep it or sell it, please don't cut it up.
They don't make em anymore.

sals54
11-22-2016, 10:42 PM
Please check you PM. I'd like to talk to you about your wagon. Thanks

Dwain G.
11-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Still wishing I had bought that little Jonquil '60 wagon down in SW Washington a couple years ago.

rockne10
11-22-2016, 11:23 PM
I kick myself for one I passed up in Florence, PA thirty years ago.

StudeRich
11-23-2016, 01:44 AM
Still wishing I had bought that little Jonquil '60 wagon down in SW Washington a couple years ago.

Yep, I think I know the one:
60130 60131 A real Sweetie! Just like a Turning Wheels Cover Pic. :!:

SScopelli
11-23-2016, 03:50 AM
Four doors never bothered me, and are the most practical. I agree with the guys that this is worth saving, and wagons are becoming more popular. It's just that the fall isn't the best time to sell.

Fall? That is one week in Phoenix, then one week of winter and back to summer...

Warren Webb
11-23-2016, 04:40 AM
I brought my 2 door wagon down from Willows, Calif about 2 years ago in similar condition. Now my floors are just about done. Your car is a keeper for sure with having the V-8 & auto already your almost there. Get it driving & enjoy it!

Hallabutt
11-23-2016, 04:49 AM
You California guys are sooo spoiled! That thing is a gem! Put a radiator in it and hit he road.

A little West Coast perspective. Eight years ago when a non-Studebaker friend asked me if I would take the time to look at his wife's 97 year old grandmother's 1960 four door wagon, I sheepishly said that I would. Kicker was that it had been in a garage for 38 years and had a bad engine. All kinds of things went through my head, mostly bad! I wondered how I was going to tell the family that the car had little value and then try to find someone willing to take it off their hands. What I found blew my mind, a car with original paint, interior and in perfect storage for those 38 years. The car looked as though it had been put into storage 6 months ago rather then 38 years. Then the grandson wanted to give me the car. I nixed that in a hurry but not knowing any more about the car then it had a bad engine, we settled on a low, feel good price. Short story is that the car was even better then I expected. "Humphrey," has developed a following, fan club around the PNW that I never expected when I bought it. In addition to Studebaker folks, little kids, old people and women, especially women are drawn to the car. There is much more to the story but I think that it must be obvious that "Humphrey" has become one of my favorites!

We in the West are spoiled and not just in California. Our cars just survive better. This really hit home to me eight years ago when I journeyed back to Lancaster Pa for the International. Great meet and lots of cars, C/K's and Avanti's everywhere, but where were all the first gen Larks! While my casual quest started out to be finding some good 1959-62 wagons, it later became just finding any Larks at all! On the day of the concourse I found the only, show ready, 1960 four door sedan. It was the only early Lark on the field that day! Hundreds of cars and there were no first gen wagons and only the single 1960 four door, what a shame! I have found this scenario repeated at virtually every eastern International that I have attended since.

In short you have found a jewel! KEEP IT INTACKED. If you choose to give it a chance I think that you will be surprised by the response it gets. If on the other hand you choose to sell, people will come to buy. I hope what I have learned over the last eight years will help you make the right choice!

tjanowia
11-23-2016, 07:05 AM
What do you think a fair price to ask is? I have a "60" 259 auto deluxe with solid floors and some bubbling on fenders. Interior needs redone and engine was rebuilt about 25 years ago but only has about 100 miles on it and now has a stuck valve. Car is complete and drove it from Oregon to Indiana before parking it many years ago.

8E45E
11-23-2016, 07:11 AM
If you really don't want it, then SELL it! Its way too nice to cut up!!

Craig

Mrs K Corbin
11-23-2016, 07:33 AM
I'd put a new interior in, clean up that Horror Show under the hood. Toss a Surfboard on top and park it next to the beach! LOL

jackb
11-23-2016, 08:03 AM
Real deal talk: Here in the Northeast, it has been worth it for me to ship cars from out west for ~ $1000-1200. We just don't see cars & trucks as mentioned above unrestored. So...here goes....your car in tip top, restored shape, maybe worth $10,000. Working backwards...body/paint = $6000. Interior = $1200./2000., brakes = $500. tires = $500. front suspension = $400., exhaust = $300., So...on my best day, I can only justify a buying price @ $1000-1200. And I haven't factored in a probably + 15% nuts, bolts, belts, fluids, etc.... Out your way, due to the lack of tin worms, the values drop at least $40-50%......Really simple math...From time to time someone will post their expenses on a car done over.

TWChamp
11-23-2016, 08:37 AM
What do you think a fair price to ask is? I have a "60" 259 auto deluxe with solid floors and some bubbling on fenders. Interior needs redone and engine was rebuilt about 25 years ago but only has about 100 miles on it and now has a stuck valve. Car is complete and drove it from Oregon to Indiana before parking it many years ago.

Pop the valve cover and spray some Kroil on the stuck valve stem, let it soak, then tap it with a hammer to loosen it up. Try to never use corn crap gas, as it's great for making valves stick.

tjanowia
11-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Thanks, haven't tried Kroil but have tried about everything else. If the car is only worth about $600 than it seems like it would be much more valuable as parts but with all the adventures and memories out west I've had I think I'll pull the head, put on wheel cylinders and tires and drive it as is or just keep it as a drinking buddy.

spokejr
11-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Well, here is a comp.;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Studebaker-wagonair-/252646675378?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ad2ea53b2:g:aw4AAOSwHMJYM1~S&item=252646675378

I myself, vote for save.

sals54
11-23-2016, 11:33 AM
Check your private messages. I would like to talk to you about the wagon. Thanks

T.J. lavallee
11-23-2016, 01:13 PM
Well, here is a comp.;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-Studebaker-wagonair-/252646675378?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ad2ea53b2:g:aw4AAOSwHMJYM1~S&item=252646675378

I myself, vote for save.

This is a nice example save for the rear quarter rust. It is, however, not a first generation. I like the interior re-do. I prefer the first generation Larks. They, to me, have a more "International" flair to them.

GrumpyOne
11-23-2016, 02:12 PM
A couple of months ago, I posted that I had purchased a really straight, nearly rust free 4 DOOR SEDAN, Flathead six, 3 speed standard, no OD, for some donor parts only for my HT. It was available but no one has been beating my door down to purchase it.
Seems very little interest is garnered in 4 door sedans.
Just my take.
Bill

Actually, I think that the low interest is due to it being a six cylinder...

TWChamp
11-23-2016, 04:23 PM
Thanks, haven't tried Kroil but have tried about everything else. If the car is only worth about $600 than it seems like it would be much more valuable as parts but with all the adventures and memories out west I've had I think I'll pull the head, put on wheel cylinders and tires and drive it as is or just keep it as a drinking buddy.

Also, a can of Sea-Foam in the oil, and another in the gas can do wonders for sticking parts. It's one product in a can that I have found really works.

stude61
11-23-2016, 07:47 PM
I don't know how to private message but I am extremely interested in purchasing this.

63t-cab
11-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Click on the user name in question, and you'll see "private message"

I don't know how to private message but I am extremely interested in purchasing this.

DEEPNHOCK
11-23-2016, 08:26 PM
There was a guy in central Florida way back around 1998 or so...
Brought a sweet 4 door Lark wagon that had been nicely modified.
Tan color... Cragar SS wheels. Nothing radical...
Had a real nice leather looking interior...all custom.
Really was a nice machine. We chatted and he really liked being able to take his
adult sized friends cruising without the back seat gyrations a 2 door wagon brings.

BobPalma
11-23-2016, 08:28 PM
:!: 'Couldn't agree more; there is no reason to part this little wagon. :eek:

It has arguably the most desireable power train combo and isn't rusted in two.

'Nuff said; save it! :cool: BP

abkco
11-23-2016, 08:48 PM
I'll put it on the lift over the weekend to check the rear end and see how much floor rust is there.

stude61
11-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Click on the user name in question, and you'll see "private message"

Thanks, message sent.

63t-cab
11-23-2016, 09:41 PM
Justin, check Your PM box.

I'll put it on the lift over the weekend to check the rear end and see how much floor rust is there.