PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Desoto

63larkr1
11-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Please help. Eric races with us at the Studebaker Drags. Keep a lookout for his Desoto and trailer. Pioneer Village is located in northern Bullitt County KY off I65 south of Louisville.
Thanks,
Richard

Sat morning around 3am somebody stole my enclosed trailer out of a secured storage lot and got the Desoto Too.* Its not a mustang so they cant cut it up and sell parts. They can only strip it and crush the rest. Just trying to get the word out. Eric
2017, 24ft Enclosed, V-nose, two tone, dark grey/black separated by a 4 inch stainless steel Strip. Inside was the 1952 Baby Blue, 4Dr Desoto. They?, stole it from We Storage in Pioneer Village KY and we don’t know where it was taken, They took the trailer not knowing was inside (I suspect) and got the car. *The vehicle was a mid 80-ish chev/gmc, dark 2 tone pick up with something blacked out on the door. That’s it for now. Eric

jclary
11-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Perhaps if those of us living along connecting interstate corridors will do a craigslist search for "enclosed trailers," we might get lucky and find it advertised. The car might be simply dumped and abandoned. Nationwide, I think scrap yards have begun to tighten up on folks bringing "undocumented" vehicles without appropriate paperwork. Here, regardless of your scrap, your photo is taken with each delivery.

63larkr1
11-22-2016, 03:22 PM
Thanks John, both good ideas! It would be great if we could find this for him.
Richard

BobPalma
11-22-2016, 03:47 PM
:!: Man, with that paint scheme, it ought to stand out like a sore thumb...and anything that big can't be easily hidden. 'Hope "we" can find it.

(Does he have the license plate number? That would help confirm a sighting, like if it was seen in motion along the interstate.;)) :cool: BP

JoeHall
11-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Too bad the owner did not have razor blades strategically located under the door lift handles of the trailer. That would probably make it easier to spot the thief for the next couple of weeks. I live about 30 miles from where it was stolen, and will keep an eye out.

63t-cab
11-22-2016, 07:23 PM
:!: ............................................. :!: even though sight of that would make Me squeamish !

Too bad the owner did not have razor blades strategically located under the door lift handles of the trailer. That would probably make it easier to spot the thief for the next couple of weeks. I live about 30 miles from where it was stolen, and will keep an eye out.

Mrs K Corbin
11-23-2016, 07:50 AM
I had a pretty good reply going and the stupid box blew it ...... I'll try again.

Start searching Craigslist for Desoto Parts and a trailer....
No use looking local, they're probably not that Stoopid....... maybe.

Try using Searchtempest or something like that and widen your search to at least 400 miles...
do you have the serial# of the trailer? The car is likely cut up.... :mad:

There were some morons here stealing boats to get the trailers and selling them for scrap metal..... a smart scrap man finally called police when they got a little too familiar.

This just scared me, as I have an airplane in a similar sized trailer parked close to my house. I do have a tongue lock and my boat is in front of it, but if someone is bold enough to steal from a secure storage facility, then they're likely to drive by someone's house and do the same.

A friend just informed me that some moron stole the wings and tail off his airplane and left the fuselage.... Sickos

Mrs K Corbin
11-23-2016, 07:51 AM
I'm sure you have photos of the truck, but how did they get in? usually there's a code that includes your unit number...... maybe could track that way if they're stupid enough to use a code to get in.

8E45E
11-23-2016, 08:09 AM
:!: Man, with that paint scheme, it ought to stand out like a sore thumb...and anything that big can't be easily hidden.

What that trailer really needed is a bold, BIG AL'S SEWER & DRAIN CLEANING vinyl wrap, along with graphic pictures of toilets being unclogged, etc.,

Craig

Buzzard
11-23-2016, 10:09 AM
I feel for you as I lost my Factory Hot Rod SRT8 Magnum to thieves a year ago. Hand washed/waxed and cherished from new and then after using it in a variety of robberies, they burned it a month later. I can't put in print what I think should happen to these out of control crack heads which are above the law. Here in Canada, we too seem to have an "injustice system" where there is no penalty.
Bill

swvalcon
11-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Buzzard Sorry for your loss. I agree on the injustice system and long for the good old Cool Hand Luke Days. One thing that needs to be brought back.

kurtruk
11-24-2016, 12:15 AM
They could have stolen it for the DeSoto grille. Try checking what hotrodders pay for those...!

Mrs K Corbin
11-28-2016, 01:29 PM
I'd do a craigslist search all (searchtempest) for Desoto parts and see what pops up.....

Then start tracking her down. a piece at a time.

crack enough skulls and you'll find the thieves.

63larkr1
11-29-2016, 09:20 PM
Update:

Richard, some keen eyes spotted my car trailer yesterday here in Louisville and got in touch with me. I notified the police and they met me at the location. Although the trailers vin plate had been removed and the inside cleaned. An observant Officer picked up 2 pieces of paper from the floor of the trailer. The thieves had left 2 of the Desoto’s time slips from US 60 Dragway on the floor of the trailer. So, I did get my trailer, but no car as of yet. I still have my fingers crossed.
Local law enforcement *has done a news story and shown the video from the storage facilities surveillance video and pictures of some of the stolen articles. I also have a post on Louisville’s Craigslist. Under for sale, just type in Desoto and the ad comes up. I listed the Vin and a lot of the parts in case they try to part it out. I put a $1000.00 Reward on it also.
Thanks for all your help in getting the word out and thanks to all of the Studebaker Drivers Club members for their encouraging words. The old car was a 25 year journey that allowed us to cross paths with a lot of great people through the years. Many of whom I remain in contact with today.
I will keep you posted on updates as I get them, Thx again, Eric

BobPalma
11-29-2016, 09:39 PM
:!!: That's great news, Richard. Thanks for the update. :) BP

Mrs K Corbin
11-30-2016, 06:58 AM
So in Who's hands did you find the trailer? An unfortunate Buyer? or the Stupid thieves? I hope you can get your hands on the thieves at any rate. I'd love to find an old time judge to lock me in a room with em. GRRRRRRRRRR

63larkr1
11-30-2016, 08:58 AM
Update:

Richard, some keen eyes spotted my car trailer yesterday here in Louisville and got in touch with me. I notified the police and they met me at the location. Although the trailers vin plate had been removed and the inside cleaned. An observant Officer picked up 2 pieces of paper from the floor of the trailer. The thieves had left 2 of the Desoto’s time slips from US 60 Dragway on the floor of the trailer. So, I did get my trailer, but no car as of yet. I still have my fingers crossed.
Local law enforcement *has done a news story and shown the video from the storage facilities surveillance video and pictures of some of the stolen articles. I also have a post on Louisville’s Craigslist. Under for sale, just type in Desoto and the ad comes up. I listed the Vin and a lot of the parts in case they try to part it out. I put a $1000.00 Reward on it also.
Thanks for all your help in getting the word out and thanks to all of the Studebaker Drivers Club members for their encouraging words. The old car was a 25 year journey that allowed us to cross paths with a lot of great people through the years. Many of whom I remain in contact with today.
I will keep you posted on updates as I get them, Thx again, Eric

Here is the Craigslist ad
Thanks,
Richard

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/5892411933.html

REWARD!!! $1000.00 REWARD!!! $1000.00 REWARD!!!

TRAILER HAS BEEN RECOVERED!!!! SPECIAL THANKS TO KEEN EYES!!!!!!

STOLEN: One of a kind, 1952 Desoto, 4dr Sedan, Baby Blue, Drag Car. 440 CI, 727 Automatic, 8 3/4 with 456 Gears, Cal-Tracs, B&M Mega Shifter, 5 inch tach with shift light, Classic Fenton kidney slot 15x4 front runners, 15x10 light weight slots with 315/50/15 Hoosier Quick Time Dot tires, and a Custom Tweed and Pleated light gray interior. If you see or know of anyone selling parts like these, please let me know.

If your tip leads to the car, I will pay you $1000.00 Dollars.

I raced this car for 25 years in several states and the car is well known.

$1000.00 Reward for a name or a location that leads to the return of the car.

Classic, hot rod, drag car, race car, Mopar, Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto, race parts

JoeHall
12-02-2016, 04:08 PM
WOW! I just now watched the 5 PM local news, and pretty sure the Desoto's owner may be posting an update here soon :)

63larkr1
12-02-2016, 04:28 PM
I have great news from Eric. Thanks to everyone for your interest Eric will get his car back!! Eric is a regular participant at the Studebaker National Drags my wife and I have put on here in Brown County Dragway, Bean Blossom, Indiana for the last 9 years. The videos and most of the pictures are from our race! I'm sure you will be able to see this Desoto at the race May 27th 2017.
Thanks,
Richard
This is the email we got from Eric.

GREAT NEWS!!!* The Police Department impounded my car yesterday and I should get it back tonight or tomorrow! I have seen the car and aside from some small battle scars to the paint, and a few bolt-ons under the hood, she’s in great shape for the journey. Because the thieves had started the teardown process, we may take this opportunity to do some minor driveline upgrades to try and squeeze a few more tenths out of her.
I wanted to say a big thank you to all of the members of SDC who jumped on board to assist in getting the Desoto back. It was through your SDC post that led a news reporter, Steve Burgin (WLKY 32) to me and he did an interview. He even included a Desoto pass from Brown County Dragway in the news clip. That turned on the tip line and calls started coming in to Pioneer Village and Bullitt County police departments. That aired Wed night and they recovered the car the next afternoon. I’m truly thankful.

http://www.wlky.com/article/veteran-offers-dollar1000-reward-after-vintage-car-stolen/8384764

swvalcon
12-02-2016, 07:02 PM
Now you just need to hope the thieves own something so you can at the very least take them to court after everything is finished and recoup the cost of everything that they damaged when they stole it.

Buzzard
12-03-2016, 09:29 AM
Congrats on getting your pride & joy back in mostly one piece. Lets hope the police do their job and put the bas***ds away so they can't do it again.
Bill

62champ
12-03-2016, 01:28 PM
On the local news last night they mentioned that the radiator was missing? Metal recycling? Glad it is back where it belongs.

showbizkid
12-03-2016, 02:44 PM
This is good news indeed!

JRoberts
12-03-2016, 10:16 PM
Good news indeed! Congratulations on getting your baby back.

tim333
12-04-2016, 08:05 PM
So what was actually missing from the car?

Mrs K Corbin
12-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Hope the thieves end up with their toenails missing before it's over.