coolant leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant leak

I flushed my coolant system and repaired two leaking soft plugs.

While I was at it , I changed the thermostat and removed the water pump to check the impellar clearence. Problem is, now I have a leak either coming from the thermostat or the water pump top area.

Are the bolts for the thermostat blind holes, what about the water pump? I ran a tap into all the holes and blew them out with air, seemed like they pressured up, but maybe there was a through hole sometimes I'm kinda dense. By the way, this engine is a 1963 OHV 170.

Thanks

Randy

Anybody? Somebody has to know if any of the threads for the bolts on the water pump or thermostat need to be sealed?

Thanks

Randy

Comment

I don't think they have to be sealed, but putting some teflon tape around the threads might be good insurance.

It's been a long time since I had to mess with one, but I don't remember doing anything aother than putting on the gasket and bolting it down.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Yeh, it sure wouldn't hurt, but I was trying to figure out exactly where(the leak)was coming from, to avoid any more work than I had to. The radiator is so close (took it out to do the job), its tuff to see if its the bottom area of the thermostat or the top area of the water pump. But, thanks for the reply.

Randy

Comment

Didn't the v8's use special copper washers to seal the water pump bolts? Maybe the six needs them, too.
          Mike M.

Comment

From my experience, I would first suspect that the leak is coming from the upper radiator hose where it connects to the thermostat housing. Tighten the hose clamp and go from there.

Tim K.
            '64 R2 GT Hawk
            Tim K.
            \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
            X