Tach sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Tach sending unit

Can someone please tell me where the tach sending unit is suppose to be located on my 62 gt hawk. I believe it has been removed by PO's as I can't seem to find it . There are wires that have been disconnected from wherever or some have been cut and left dangling. I tested the tach head and it works fine. While I am under the dash does anyone know what wires go where on the radio? I believe the radio is a ac-3351 or very similar. I believe there is 3 wires out the back and 1 coming out the top or bottom. Thank you everyone for your help. This forum is worth its weight in gold, it has been a great resource.

The Tach. Sending Unit was probably mounted on the Left Kick Panel.

At the left rear corner there is a 3 Prong Receptacle inside the Radio, that is supposed to get a mating Plug, the White wire with Green Tracer is the Power Wire with a Fuse holder in line that goes to the "ACC" Terminal of the Ignition Switch.

The solid Green and black are the + and - Speaker Wires. The Light is on top and the wire should go from the Light Socket inside the Radio for it's power.

A steel Brace screws to the case to go to the firewall to support the rear.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have the same problem with my tach on my 62 GT Hawk compliments of the PO. How did you go about testing the tach head to insure it was still working ?
      Mike Kelly
      Regional Manager
      Texas
      1963 Lark Cruiser
      1962 GT Hawk
      1965 Commander 2dr v8 auto

Comment

Use a 1.5 V size D battery, connect to tach head with jumper wires. If needle doesn't move reverse polarity.

Comment

Thanks, I will check the left kick panel area. One person sent me an email , said to check the cross brace under the dash where your left knee would be. I have a feeling sending unit is long gone. I will check the left kick panel areas tomorrow.. Thank you very much for the wiring info on the radio, I do have the plug for the radio just didn't know which wires went where.

Comment

The voltage supply to the coil went thru the sender. Check the coil +12 and follow it back to its source. It should be a green wire and go from the coil to the ballast resistor to a junction on the dash brace where it joined the wire from the sender. If there's no sender, then they had to wire the junction directly to the IGN post on the ignition switch.
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

tach sending unit

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
              The voltage supply to the coil went thru the sender. Check the coil +12 and follow it back to its source. It should be a green wire and go from the coil to the ballast resistor to a junction on the dash brace where it joined the wire from the sender. If there's no sender, then they had to wire the junction directly to the IGN post on the ignition switch.
              On the 12v+ side of the coil there is a green wire and a pink wire and there is a pink wire on the IGN post on the ignition switch. That's another thing, I have not seen a ballast resistor on this car. Resistor wire??

Comment

Yes the pink wire is a resistor wire. My '64 Daytona had the tach sending unit under the dash just right of the steering column.

Comment

The tach sender on my '62 GT is mounted to the dash support that runs left to right. It's slightly right of the tach but not quite under the radio.

Comment

Once you find the wires try to mark them as to their origin. The replacement senders are available (rectangle style) but the wire colors don't match the OEM wiring and there seems to be confusion over which wires go where, as the replacement has one less lead then the original and requires jumping two terminals on the back of the head unit to work. Tracing the ones in the car will simplify installing one, without running new wires.

Comment

That is what I thought. The pink wire on the coil and the pink wire on the IGN post are one and the same.

Comment

I see the holes where it was probably mounted. Now for the wires, at the coil 12V+ there is a factory connection with a green wire and a pink wire sharing a common ring connector. The pink wire is connected to the IGN post on the ignition switch. A black wire with a forked connector was wrapped around the bracket that holes the tach in. In the same area are two wires that are laying side by side,
                        one is a light green possibly with a tracer and the other is orange also possibly with a tracer. I need to go back to Bobs' website and print the schematic that shows the original wire colors and what they went too. Thanks everyone. Weymouth

Comment

The wires on the coil should be a pink resistor wire, and a green with black tracer (12V bypass, it goes to the IGN terminal of the starter solenoid) on the + side , and a black with red tracer (from distributer)on the - side.

If you have a tach, the pink wire to the coil will not be attached to the ignition switch. It will instead be attached to a junction block along with a green wire from the tach sending unit. The red wire from the tach sending unit will be attached to the ignition switch IGN terminal.

The black wire from the tach sender is ground. The white and yellow wires go to the tach gauge.

Comment

I can't speak for the radio wiring, but if you'll check this Forum with the search engine, you'll find a ton of information on tachs, sending units and their wiring.

My 62 GT was not originally assembled with the optional tach so I bought a used original, cut the hole in the dash panel and mounted it. The factory sending unit turned to be bad so I bought one of the new modern ones by Jon Myer via Studebaker International. I couldn't figure out where to mount the sending unit either, and no one ever gave me a definitive factory installation answer. Different owners seemed to have mounted them in different places.

The Myer unit comes with a cable with given lengths of wires as shown in the photo below. I decided to mount the sending unit on the upper sloping part of the cowl (the surface where the windshield motor is mounted), but inside the car on the driver's side -- about the same location where the clock is. You can just barely see it in the photo of the terminal strip. I mounted a four-contact terminal strip near the fuse block P/N 1542290 on the transverse reinforcement and brace assembly P/N 1320298P that's under the dash. There was already one hole in the brace so I drilled another to firmly hold the terminal strip. That way, I could keep the sending unit wire lengths as they were furnished by Myer, connect them to the terminal strip, and connect the other wires "permanently" to the tach and the ignitiion switch from the terminal strip. In this way, if the sending unit goes bad in the future, it'll be an easy replacement.

Hope all this makes sense!

Bill L.
                            Sarasota, FL

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1711212
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1566.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1711211Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	1711213
                            Bill L.
                            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Thank you, simple enough. Now to print all this again so I don't lose it.

Comment

Working...
                              X