Bob Palma in MCR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Palma in MCR

Our friend and author, Tom Shaw, attended the Pure Stock Drags in September. Tom mentioned the difficulty of diagnosing some electrical problems; that gave him the inspiration for his column in the current issue of Muscle Car Review (December, page 62). He asked Bob to pose with a screwdriver, leaning on the front fender of the Plain Brown Wrapper (don't worry--the business end of the screwdriver is pointed up, away from the paint. <GGG>). That photo appears along with Tom's column on the last page of that issue; it came out well.

Bob is not identified in the column, but the Studebaker circle "S" logo on his cap is clearly visible. You can read the results in the magazine, but the point of Tom's column was that a screwdriver can have many uses, including use as a diagnostic tool.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Tom as he recently was involved in a fairly serious accident. Perhaps Bob has more recent information on Tom's recovery, but I believe he is doing pretty well.

George
    george krem

Prayers certainly sent Tom's direction! I got my December issue of Muscle Car Review today it ended at page 60. Checked the November issue also and same thing. Could not locate the pic you mentioned.
    Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
    Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Michael, page 61 has a full-page ad with no page number; Tom's article is on the back side of that ad. Could that ad page be stuck to the back page of your issue? Or maybe the last couple of pages were torn off in transit?

George
      george krem

Comment

Thank you George, I am going to have to check a newsstand issue.
        Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
        Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Here ya' go, George:

BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 11-26-2016, 12:16 PM.
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            Here ya' go, George:

BP
            OH NO!!!! NO!!!!...Sudden attack of PTSD!!!! For some reason, that pic reminded me of my horrible kidney stone attack a few years ago. That catheter wielding urologist with the the same sick menacing gaze....gonna sleep with the lights on and a loaded pistol tonight.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hmmm...Bob does kind of look like a doctor getting ready to do a procedure, doesn't he? It looks like he's found something serious. <GGG> Actually, it's a nice photo.

As Bob said to me, "Hey, we've got another Studebaker in MCR!" Unfortunately, most people couldn't tell it's a Stude, though. Tom does have a way with words--that phrase "corrosion-sniffing chicken" made my wife laugh.

George
              george krem

Comment

Great Story! The Horrors of allowing a ASE Certified Tech. to touch your Classic Car!

I called one yesterday at a Auto Parts Store, and asked if they could check out a Generator Charging System, he asks if it is 6 Volt or Positive Ground, :NO, (OK), but then he says does that have a separate Voltage Regulator!
                Last edited by StudeRich; 11-15-2016, 12:15 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The first time I met BP was when my 49 pickup was conked out alongside the highway, approximately 1987, and he pulled up to help.
                  I though to myself "Oh great, another guy whose uncle once had a Studebaker and wants to tell me that Nash built them."

He turned out to be surprisingly helpful.
                  sigpic
                  Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lark Parker View Post
                    The first time I met BP was when my 49 pickup was conked out alongside the highway, approximately 1987, and he pulled up to help.
                    I though to myself "Oh great, another guy whose uncle once had a Studebaker and wants to tell me that Nash built them."

He turned out to be surprisingly helpful.
                    No, Lark; they were built by DeSoto. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You mean Nash didn't build them ?
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Wow, Bob looks a little grumpy there and I know that's not the case!

Good article though, by Tom!
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                          Wow, Bob looks a little grumpy there and I know that's not the case!

Good article though, by Tom!
                          Tom wanted me to pose like that, Bill; no smiling due to serious diagnostics being underway....can't you tell? BP

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                            You mean Nash didn't build them?
                            Not until after they moved to Canada, Brad. That's when DeSoto quit building them. When production resumed in Canada, Nash began using the old Garfield tooling from Detroit. BP

Comment

Hey guys . Just a tip . Always start with a voltage drop test, only tool needed is a voltmeter .

Comment

Working...
                              X