Hot deals on Studes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot deals on Studes!

I was cleaning up in the office a bit and I came across a newspaper section that my late father had found and sent to me.
    It's the classified ad section of the Toledo News Bee of Toledo Ohio - March 20th 1930![:0]

The radio comedy team of Amos 'n Andy was very popular at this time and their sitcom was laid out around their fictional taxi business known as the Fresh Air Taxi Cab Co. of America, incorpalated.

Well, the rather large Studebaker ad that's in this paper section is run by the Urschel-Murphy Motor Car Co. - 13thSt. at Adams, in Toledo. And as an attraction to their ad, they've got a would-be letter to the Fresh Air Taxi Cab Co., inviting them to come in and shop at their dealership:

Gentelmen,

Isn't it about time you get yourself a REAL car? We are enclosing a photo of a Champion Dictator Sedan - leave the windows open for the fresh air - as an example of the wonderful bargains we are offering. Yes, we'll take your present car in trade

We have others as low in price as $200 and as high as $1350. Drive any car we sell for 5 days and it doesn't suit Amos, Andy, the King Fish, Ruby Taylor or Madam Queen, bring it back and we will give you another car. Nothing farier than the Studebaker pledge was ever written into a car propolition!

We are used car headquarters for every style, make and model. All of our cars are most carefully inspected by our corps of experts to insure satisfaction. Studebaker's line of new cars has so wide a price range that we get cars of all prices in trade. This week we are running a special sale to reduce this stock, so act quickly.

Wishing you continued success
    Urschel-Murphy Motor Car Co.

Featured prominently is a picture of a 1930 Studebaker Champion Commander 4-dr. It's a Brougham with only 7K miles on it. Fully equipped with 6 excellent tires, finish like new & clean upholstery for only $1095.00 Original price was $1795.00!

Boy - talk about your depreciation!!! There's a '24 Studebaker Touring for $49.50!
    Also a '26 Big 6 Dictator for $89.50!!!
    A '29 Erskine Regal Deluxe sedan with 8K miles - looking like new - goes for $595.00

'27 Stutz - $695
    '28 Commander Victoria - $695
    '28 Marmon 8 - $695
    '27 Chrysler 70 sedan $485

Anybody near Toledo that would check on that '24 Touring for me???[]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

$495.00 would pay for my gas to run out to Oh and take a look at it!
    I'll send you a telegram when I get there!

LaSalle,Il
    61Hawk
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

$495.00 would pay for my gas to run out to Oh and take a look at it!
      I'll send you a telegram when I get there!

LaSalle,Il
      61Hawk
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I have got the Auto Show editions of the San Francisco Chronicle from 1931 and 1935. Free wheeling was the big deal in 1931, but it was hardly mentioned in 1935.

Here are some of the articles and ads from 1931.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I have got the Auto Show editions of the San Francisco Chronicle from 1931 and 1935. Free wheeling was the big deal in 1931, but it was hardly mentioned in 1935.

Here are some of the articles and ads from 1931.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

Leonard, that Prez chassis would be pretty neat to drive around as is! kinda like Jay Leno does with a '29 Duesenberg chassis.
            Not to hijack the thread, but there are a LOT of VERY interesting videos there, of several different cars. (No Stude though. [V])

Find content from CNBC and the NBCUniversal family of networks on NBC.com!

Matthew Burnette
            '59 Scotsman
            '63 Daytona
            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Leonard, that Prez chassis would be pretty neat to drive around as is! kinda like Jay Leno does with a '29 Duesenberg chassis.
              Not to hijack the thread, but there are a LOT of VERY interesting videos there, of several different cars. (No Stude though. [V])

Find content from CNBC and the NBCUniversal family of networks on NBC.com!

Matthew Burnette
              '59 Scotsman
              '63 Daytona
              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

quote: Leonard, that Prez chassis would be pretty neat to drive around as is! kinda like Jay Leno does with a '29 Duesenberg chassis.
                Yes it would be fun, but I don't think it had two speedometers. It seems to me that the engine speed indicator would be a tachometer. [:0]
                Or maybe they rigged the engine speedometer to show a slower speed.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote: Leonard, that Prez chassis would be pretty neat to drive around as is! kinda like Jay Leno does with a '29 Duesenberg chassis.
                  Yes it would be fun, but I don't think it had two speedometers. It seems to me that the engine speed indicator would be a tachometer. [:0]
                  Or maybe they rigged the engine speedometer to show a slower speed.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

A couple of years ago my mother gave me the "Automobile Section" of the December 1, 1906 edition of The Saturday Evening Mail" from New York. It features a number of cars, some familiar (Ford, Maxwell, Reo), but others I have never heard of (Berliet, American Mors, Dragon, Grout, Jackson, H.P.C.G.V. Limousine and the "Car De Luxe").

It has been folded and is very fragile, but I will try to get a picture tomorrow. By the way, they are all on display at the Grand Central Palace.

Comment

A couple of years ago my mother gave me the "Automobile Section" of the December 1, 1906 edition of The Saturday Evening Mail" from New York. It features a number of cars, some familiar (Ford, Maxwell, Reo), but others I have never heard of (Berliet, American Mors, Dragon, Grout, Jackson, H.P.C.G.V. Limousine and the "Car De Luxe").

It has been folded and is very fragile, but I will try to get a picture tomorrow. By the way, they are all on display at the Grand Central Palace.

Comment

Working...
                      X