Hawk Emblem Defect 62 Hawk GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Emblem Defect 62 Hawk GT

This is a pic of the Hawk emblem on the grill of my 62 GT Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5671.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1752103 As you can see it is quite badly pitted and looks almost "eroded" for lack of better term.

My good friend Dave Warren picked up a 63 grill for me in South Bend this past spring and it is in much better condition but still has a small amount of pitting in the upper left and right parts of the emblem. It also seems as someone was trying to polish the emblem and there is a faint tinge of gold showing through. Were the Hawk emblems gold in color originally or all chrome? I don't know if you can see the pitting or chips at the edge of the circle in the photos or the sanding marks but is there any way to improve this without re chroming the entire shroud? The rest of it is perfect. I'm having the mesh refinished over the winter and am trying to decide whether to put the original shroud back on or try and get the 63 shroud touched up or even use it the way it is. Is it quite common to see wear at these emblems? Maybe why they went to the vertical ornament in 64?

Here are pics of the 63 shroud. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5675.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1752104Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5676.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1752105

Most of these Grill Shells by now, have had at least ONE attempt or more at re-plating which has ruined the Hawk Bird area.

The NOS or Original good used, are the Best.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The original grill shell had a "pebbled" background in the hawk emblem area. When the plater polishes the grill surround, they usually smear the background and the detail, or they don't strip all the chrome off that area and end up with poor detail and old plating lifting around the edge of the indented circle. Very very few platers know how to rechrome the GT grill shells, they usually do more harm than good. Original shells were all chrome plated, no gold was ever used.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Most of these Grill Shells by now, have had at least ONE attempt or more at re-plating which has ruined the Hawk Bird area.

The NOS or Original good used, are the Best.
        Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
        The original grill shell had a "pebbled" background in the hawk emblem area. When the plater polishes the grill surround, they usually smear the background and the detail, or they don't strip all the chrome off that area and end up with poor detail and old plating lifting around the edge of the indented circle. Very very few platers know how to rechrome the GT grill shells, they usually do more harm than good. Original shells were all chrome plated, no gold was ever used.
        OK thanks.. Looks like I will just have keep a good look out for an original shell. One of the shells I have now will have to do until I find the perfect one!

Comment

For reference, here is a photo of the hawk emblem of our '63. It shows the "pebbled" area around the emblem. I realize we are beyond fortunate to have a grill surround in such good condition. The shiny area is what I believe to be a slight factory error in the preparation of the "pebbled" area.

Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
            For reference, here is a photo of the hawk emblem of our '63. It shows the "pebbled" area around the emblem. I realize we are beyond fortunate to have a grill surround in such good condition. The shiny area is what I believe to be a slight factory error in the preparation of the "pebbled" area.

Wow, that is very nice, that's what is supposed look like eh? I wonder how the factory got that pebbled look when it seems most re platers aren't able to duplicate it? We have a good, albeit expensive, chroming shop here in Toronto. I'm going to take it to him and see if there is anything he can do. Thanks for the photo, if I can print it I will take it to him and show him what is supposed to look like!

Comment

Almost looks like they covered the chrome somehow and maybe bead blasted the indented area. But not sure what they would have put over it to keep it clean.

Comment

The "gold" that you are seeing is most likely the copper layer that is under the nickel/chrome layers.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The '62 and '63 GT Grill Shells

The easiest way is probably what they did, simply just CAST that Pebble finish in the Mold at the start. It's just cast pot metal.

The Pebbled area got flash Chrome and all the rest full triple Plate.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    The easiest way is probably what they did, simply just CAST that Pebble finish in the Mold at the start. It's just cast pot metal.

The Pebbled area got flash Chrome and all the rest full triple Plate.
                    So one can assume that pebbled surface is under the chrome on the 63 shell that I have? Maybe that is why it appears someone tried to grind or sand out that area on this one. Are there many NOS shells in existence?

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
                      So one can assume that pebbled surface is under the chrome on the 63 shell that I have? Maybe that is why it appears someone tried to grind or sand out that area on this one. Are there many NOS shells in existence?
                      Actually, looking at the shell my car came with the pitting makes some sense now. The chrome just partially covered over that area. What's strange is that there are some spots where the circular portion isn't visible, as if the whole area was filled with chrome. I've seen some on eBay and they were quite badly pitted on the entire upper surface so to find an OEM in good shape that had never been re plated would be a real find!

Comment

Sure there are..........it's just convincing those who have them to cut loose of 'em
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                          Sure there are..........it's just convincing those who have them to cut loose of 'em
                          Yes, I can believe that!

Comment

Kato I need one for my 64 to. Looks like we will both have to wait for someone that has some stashed somewhere to kick the bucket.

Comment

I know there are a few people who have hoarded them. You will need to mortgage your house to pry one away from them. We CASOs are never going to get our hands on them.....

Comment

Working...
                              X