Door locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Door locks

I'm wondering if I remove the glovebox lock to get a key made, Will it also work for the doors? 1963 Champ

Doors and Ignition key are the same.
    Trunk and glovebox is the other. No trunk on a Champ.
    If you have a built sheet from the museum , it will give you key numbers.
    I have many keys with the numbers stamped in stock.
    I may have an original key for your glove box .
    Also have ignition keys.
    Robert Kapteyn.
    studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Sorry Roy it wont. The door lock was originally keyed the same as the ignition. Even though your Champ does not have a trunk glove boxes were keyed to match trunk lid cylinders & even then the glove box cylinder has one less set of tumblers from the truck lock. Many now have their ignition switches replaced either by an original switch assembly or an aftermarket. If an aftermarket switch has been installed then there is no way it can be made to match the door. If you do have an original ignition switch or plan to buy one from one of the vendors, you can have it keyed the same as the door. That would require removing the door cylinder & taking them both to an experienced locksmith. In spite of that "WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!"
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks; shucks didn't want take off door panel. I'm honored to be a new member.

Comment

Getn busy savn for build sheet . Thatz exciting ! OK got it! Came with west coast mirrors,white deluxe Conestoga body of which I have but needs some new wood work on the inside. Should I put it back on ? Any one with info.? It's a camper top matches up with back slider window.Truck sold in NM.
          5 sp od np;radio, seat belts,cigar lighter,w/s washer,rear step bumper, 4.09 rear
          Last edited by roy fraley; 12-02-2016, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Roy, here's a thought. Do you have a membership to AAA? They have a locksmith service that either will reimburse you up to a certain amount or send out a contract locksmith if there's one in your area. Have them come out & make a key for your door. Tell them you lost the keys. If they only offer to open it up (with a slim-jim or like tool) just say you don't feel comfortable with that & you'd like a key made. "You can always hot wire the truck if need be." This way you wont have to open the door guts out & once you have a door key, then have the ignition cylinder keyed alike, providing it's an original style ignition switch, at a later date.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Mr. Webb; Thank you and your right on all aspects. I obtained build sheet with key codes. the ignition has been switched.I would appreciate any recommended parts connections. Gaskets, fuel pumps, carburetors, distributor,vacuum advance,etc.

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Roy, see your Private Message (PM)
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dear Sir; Thank you for the info. My truck was sold in NM with west coast mirrors and White Deluxe Conestoga camper top. Do you know any thing about these and would you put them back on the truck.? Roy

Comment

The 7E and 8E trucks were available with several different types of outside mirrors, and one style of West Coast mirror was even available on Champs. They are all illustrated in the 62-64 truck parts book. Studebaker offered a Conestoga camper top, and if your truck has that style, you have a rare and desirable option.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Have you seen Chuck Collins' '64 Champ with Conestoga.............
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. I need to make a trip to southernNM to pick mine up

Comment

Studebaker Truck Talk. Nothing but Studebaker trucks.
                          Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Dear Robert ; I need key numbers 4365 and key 1448 .One locksmith didn't think these numbers ment anything to him. I would gladly pay what ever is reasonable. My email address is rcfraley1@gmail.com. Look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely Roy Fraley.

Comment

Working...
                            X