Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti in Hot Rod

Robert Kapteyn

It's certainly positive press for the Avanti and Studebaker...and that's a good thing.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Nice machine.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Very nice, Surprised they needed the tunnel modified to add the T-56. Must be due to the way the LS engine is installed. They fit well behind an earlier SBC.

Comment

I am normally a freak about stock automobiles however that is truly an incredible Avanti.
          Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
          Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Silverplate View Post
            I am normally a freak about stock automobiles however that is truly an incredible Avanti.
            I agree, Mike. It is hard for me to see a Studebaker get cut up and modified, but this is really well done. I'd drive it!
            Ed Sallia
            Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I can't believe someone stole my Avanti, pretended it was their own, had it photographed in HotRod magazine, and then had the gall to claim they built it themselves. How rude.
              Really, if I had the money, thats almost exactly what mine would look like. Inside and out, under the car and under the hood. That is about as close to perfect as anyone could possibly build an Avanti.
              OOOOoooooooooooohhhh how I wish it were mine. Daaaaaaaannnnngg nice car. WOW ! ! !
              sals54

Comment

Now that is a very nice build. If i was not to sentimental over my fathers white Avanti , I would of went a similar direction.
                1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
                Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

The LS-based drive-train is a much easier proposition when one foresakes the original chassis and starts fresh! (guess how I know )

And, Bob, the T-56 is BIG. We even had to make some mods to the tunnel to install the HD Tremec 5-sp in Lange's B'ville car--we decided the T-56 would have been too much hassle.
                  Last edited by Xcalibur; 11-08-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xcalibur View Post

And, Bob, the T-56 is BIG. We even had to make some mods to the tunnel to install the HD Tremec 5-sp in Lange's B'ville car--we decided the T-56 would have been too much hassle.
                    Large yes, but not big enough to require a tunnel mod other than a notch for the reverse lockout solenoid and a couple of touches of the die grinder to the shifter opening lower lip.

I put one in my 74 behind the 383 stroker.

Installed

Built a custom trans mount

Had to touch up the lower front lip of the shifter opening.

Bob

Comment

I've got a T56 sitting out in the garage and it is big, thats fer sher. I don't know if I would attempt to install in an Avanti that still has its stock chassis. That X member would be a pain in the neck.
                      (Well, I see I spoke too soon. It appears that its NOT too big to shoehorn into an Avanti. But, holy moly, that is one very tight fit.)
                      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                        I can't believe someone stole my Avanti, pretended it was their own, had it photographed in HotRod magazine, and then had the gall to claim they built it themselves. How rude.
                        Really, if I had the money, thats almost exactly what mine would look like. Inside and out, under the car and under the hood. That is about as close to perfect as anyone could possibly build an Avanti.
                        OOOOoooooooooooohhhh how I wish it were mine. Daaaaaaaannnnngg nice car. WOW ! ! !
                        Look at it this way Sal, you can still park it the same place you always have...in your dreams

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          Very nice, Surprised they needed the tunnel modified to add the T-56. Must be due to the way the LS engine is installed. They fit well behind an earlier SBC.
                          That is not the first time I have read that a T56 won't fit under the Avanti floorpan without cutting and modification of the floorpan. However, Bob your photos suggest otherwise!

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                            Look at it this way Sal, you can still park it the same place you always have...in your dreams
                            Thats fer sher. But I think since my 63 Avanti is already Chevy powered by the previous owner, we'll probably go LS, but with an automatic instead. We love the t56 but will keep it for the 54 Coupe.
                            sals54

Comment

Bob, good for you and your application!

Yet, even the Tremec HD T-5 didn't go in the "63 with Stude compatible scattershield and stock cross-member like that. We had to clearance the tunnel under the heater controls. And, the X-member had previously been cut to a degree to allow the ol' Doug Nash 5-speed to slip in and out without pulling the engine. Still the Tremeck was a b***h... but, maybe we're just clods.

Comment

Working...
                              X