Temp Sender Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Temp Sender Location

As I'm finishing up on my V8 swap I have a question about best location of a temp sender.

The sender in question I will be using is in addition to the factory sender, in it's original factory location, that goes to the idiot light. I have a few options but given that Studebaker V8's have inherent hotspots and there are locations available to install another sender, eg. at the rear of the other head and in the block side wall, where would one suggest a second if not more accurate location? I could also install the sender in the factory location and more the original to the other spot.

Len

The hottest spot should be the top inlet of the radiator. If you could add the sending unit to the thermostat housing, you should get the hottest average reading.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
      The hottest spot should be the top inlet of the radiator. If you could add the sending unit to the thermostat housing, you should get the hottest average reading.
      I don't really want to add a hole or bung, just want to use an existing pipe plug hole or where there is a plate, like the back of the head, which I suppose one could be made with the right size hole. Not saying what you suggested wouldn't be the best spot but wanted to use what is there already.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
        /Cut/The sender in question I will be using is in addition to the factory sender, in it's original factory location, that goes to the idiot light./Cut/I could also install the sender in the factory location and more the original to the other spot. Len
        There are no Coolant Temp. Idiot Lights.
        The back of the Left Head works fine for stock Cars and Champ Trucks and the "C" Cabs use the Right head due to Throttle Bellcrank interference.

So I would do as I have in the past and add another Temp. Sender Rear Plate to the Right Head and an additional under dash Temp. Gauge.

All you need to know about your Coolant Temp. is what it reads Normally, so that you know when it is NOT, so where it reads from or how Hot, matters not really.

You MAY have a Idiot Light for Oil Pressure, which has a Sender that can be "T" 'ed to a flex hose and Copper Line to a Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge to further monitor your Engines condition.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 11-07-2016, 11:36 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Sky bolt. Are u still in Ruston?

Comment

Hi Skybolt.
            I will ask are you in Windham? I am, perhaps we’re neighbors. Hugh

Comment

Skybolt - stop by, my Lark is on Vicksburg.

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                As I'm finishing up on my V8 swap I have a question about best location of a temp sender.

The sender in question I will be using is in addition to the factory sender, in it's original factory location, that goes to the idiot light. I have a few options but given that Studebaker V8's have inherent hotspots and there are locations available to install another sender, eg. at the rear of the other head and in the block side wall, where would one suggest a second if not more accurate location? I could also install the sender in the factory location and more the original to the other spot.

Len
                Say, I didn't know I had a housemate! The website lists my address as yours. Something has gone haywire.

-Dwight FitzSimons, 1146 Simmons Gap Rd., Dyke, VA 22935

Comment

To add another sender you can remove the 90* heater delivery pipe out of the water manifold and with some plumbing fittings you can make it work. I used that location to install a mechanical temp gage.

Comment

Originally posted by altair View Post
                    To add another sender you can remove the 90* heater delivery pipe out of the water manifold and with some plumbing fittings you can make it work. I used that location to install a mechanical temp gage.
                    The late (or at least some lf them) water manifolds have an unsed threaded boss opposite the one on the right for the heater hose. You can easily add a gauge or sender there, ( I did it to confirm my dash gauge, FYI very little difference in reading) . I've seen some with the boss but its not threaded, it can easily be threaded to whatever you might need.

Comment

If you clean the block crud out completely, have a good radiator, water pump & thermostat, hoses etc...... I'd go idiot.

Comment

Working...
                      X