Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for "factory style" tires for my 1959 studebaker lark

Hey guys,

I am looking for the best fit tire for my 1959 studebaker lark. I would like it to appear as original as possible.

I have been searching on the Coker website and came across some firestones but was unsure of what the o.e. Size would have been? Or how large of a whitewall? 1 inch?

Right now the car has radial 205/75r15 tires on it with the 1" whitewall. I can get most any tire I want through my work but would rather spend up for the most appropriate/period correct tires.

Any help or opinions would be appreciated

Something like these?

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yes, those were the ones I had been looking at. Did all cars come in Blackwell from factory?

Comment

The 6.70X15 2 11/16 Inch Wide Whitewall seems to be as close as it gets to Original, but if they come with the raised Rub Rail in White instead of Black like it should be, I would go with the Diamond Backs or something else

Here is a good looking Diamond Back Radial:
        205/75R15 27.10 Height 2 1/2 Whitewall 5.30 Tread 7.80 Section/W 229.00 Price

Click image for larger version

Name:	Diamond Back 380 white.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1709925 The way a '56 to '62 Studebaker Whitewall SHOULD look.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Depending on how your Lark is configured, it would have had anything from a 5.90X15 up to a 6.70X15. Blackwalls were standard on everything but whitewalls were optional at a price. 6 cylinders came standard with 5.90s except for the wagons which were probably 6.40 or 6.70 standard. V8s were standard with 6.40s with the 6.70s as optional. As Rich pointed out, the 2.5 inch whitewall was the width of the white parts.

This is a 1960 model but gives you a good idea of visually how it would appear. This V8 has 6.40X15s on it. My '60 has 6.70s which are actually a little too big from the original but that might be fixed in the next nine months - going to go back with the original size. And I would never go back to radials on my Studebakers - they love the bias ply and are the softest riding vehicles on the place.

Comment

The photo below is of the spare tire off my 1960 Lark - they are 6.70X15 with a 2.5 inch whitewall. While it had 5.90s originally, the closest you can get to that now is 6.00s - and as easy as it steer, it would be even easier with those 6.00s...

Comment

Thanks for all the great info! I'm now leaning towards the 6.70-15s with the 2.5" whitewall in bias ply. My car is the v8. I think that size and style that you have pictured would look great...

Comment

I have the 205/75-15's (Uniroyal Tiger Paw) on my 59 Lark and the speedometer runs 5 MPH fast. I am guessing my car was originally equipped with the 6.70-15 (F78-15) tires and I feel it would be better suited to be the 215/75-15.

I drove this car on Firestone F78-15 blackwalls for many years and it performed well. I was amazed at the tire prices on Coker when I started looking. I ended up going cheap until I could get the front suspension rebuilt and that appears to have been a wise decision. I have almost worn out the full set of tires in 8000 miles due to severe camber issues from worn-out kingpins. I am planning front suspension this winter. I would love the look with the wider WW on this color car with the full wheelcovers.
                Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Working...
                X