Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Ignition Switch

Gentleman and Ladies,
    On a 62 Gt Hawk,is the ignition switch rebuildable, or is it more effective just to buy a new one?

The little Black Plastic "Cog" that the Steel lever from the Lock Cylinder mates with, that turns the switch wears out and then your key gets sloppy between the 4 Positions. That is the most common problem, the other is very rarely they do not work in the "Run" position that would be the internal contacts wearing.

I have never found a long lasting "Fix" for either problem, after 52 years they are just done.
    I just finished replacing the one yesterday in my "New" '63 Champ Truck.

I got fancy and installed a Ignition Switch Light from a Top of the Line Lark Type.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Chucks Stude View Post
      Gentleman and Ladies,
      On a 62 Gt Hawk,is the ignition switch rebuildable, or is it more effective just to buy a new one?
      Buy one--cheap, easy, go to Studebaker International, transfer wires, insert key, press tab on side, exchange tumblers, insert in dash as per the repair manual. Good idea is to buy a replacement bezel (retaining ring), sometimes the lock tabs of the original pot metal bezel snap off and you get stuck with a switch that won't stay in the dash. Using an aftermarket one with a screw on bezel works but eventually winds up spinning in the dash because it doesn't have the locating tab on it.

Comment

Where is it at SI? I looked at the website, but it is not under electrical, or instruments? Or am I loosing it........

Comment

Yes, try Pg. 211
          StudeRich
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Given the age if yours is still orginal, and all the "craziness" they can cause when they do go wonky... JUST BUY A NEW ONE!!! Trust me on this, I know what of I speak!!!

Comment

Will do. Tired of messing with it.

Comment

Depending on time of day it may take time to open-SI servers are antique. First is the Bezel, second the switch

Comment

I have a near new SI ign. switch in the 53 hot rod.it crank's but wont fire till key is released almost to run position. started to replace but thot it would make a neat anti-theft device and left installed! it will do till back improves! it is the replacement style and the bezel has a locator pin installed. my Hawk Type dash had alignment notch wallowed out so filled with JB weld to take up excess. works great and saved the dash. now to fix wifes '57 dash, it started the spinning switch bit recently and She Who Must Obeyed complained. it's always something! Luck Doofus

Comment

Everyone needs to be really careful of those switches with the "spinning switch syndrome", that can be dangerous if the Batt. Terminal contacts the Dash frame, and it CAN!

Possibly a broken Bezel, they are now available in Aluminum instead of pot metal, that will crack.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
                      I have a near new SI ign. switch in the 53 hot rod.it crank's but wont fire till key is released almost to run position. started to replace but thot it would make a neat anti-theft device and left installed! it will do till back improves! it is the replacement style and the bezel has a locator pin installed. my Hawk Type dash had alignment notch wallowed out so filled with JB weld to take up excess. works great and saved the dash. now to fix wifes '57 dash, it started the spinning switch bit recently and She Who Must Obeyed complained. it's always something! Luck Doofus
                      Trade your wife in for one that does not complain.
                      They are hard to find but I was lucky.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

What luck, similar question, l open up SDC forum, there is the answer. My 62 GT Hawk ignition switch tumbler is bad. Sometimes the key is hard to insert and most of time the key falls out on the floor. I was thinking of just replacing the tumbler , but like what has been said I have a 54 year old switch, just replace the whole thing. I am going to be under the dash next week anyway. Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X