Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product testimonial, still somewhat amazed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product testimonial, still somewhat amazed.

I have been tinkering on a 1960 Panhard PL17, a former rally car, obtained in a horse trade with another local SDC member. It has a 2-cylinder opposed, air-cooled engine, and is front drive.

Anyway, I was able to get it started, but it ran poorly. The left side cylinder mostly didn't fire, and would only kick in at higher RPM, and made a vicious clatter when it did. Certainly sounded like sticking valves. The valves are in a hemi-head layout, worked by pushrods, and have torsion bars for valve springs. I tried pouring various oils and solvents down its little 2-barrel carbatooter, but nothing seemed to help.

So I bought a spray can of Sea Foam engine cleaner-outer. Got the little motor fired up by priming it; there is no choke at all, and it was idling away on one cylinder. Spayed a little Sea Foam in the carb, and braaak, clatter, the other cylinder kicked in, and then quit again. Sprayed a bit more, and it kicked in, and stayed in, although there was still clatter. Sprayed a bit more, and the clatter eventually went away completely, and the engine idled smoothly, aside from a random miss in the right cylinder. I let it run for about 5 minutes, and shut it down. Will try it again tomorrow. I used less than half the can of Sea Foam, so if it's sticky again tomorrow, I can dose it up again.

But I was amazed at just how quickly, and how effectively the stuff worked. I will definitely be buying another can to administer to the TR6 I have down in Arizona, which also has a sticky valve issue.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

In the 80's I bought a 4 year old Olds Cutlass cheap because it sounded like it had a rod out. I removed all the rod bearings and they looked excellent, but I installed new ones since they were out. Noise didn't change, so I removed the valve covers and found half the plastic rocker buttons were broken. Still no change in the noise, so I figured it had to be stuck lifters. I put a can of Sea-Foam in the oil, and before I could drive the 4 miles home the engine was running like new. I'm really sold on Sea-Foam and for your old car I'd add a can to the gas tank. It will get on the stems better that way.

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
      I have been tinkering on a 1960 Panhard PL17, a former rally car, obtained in a horse trade with another local SDC member. It has a 2-cylinder opposed, air-cooled engine, and is front drive.

Anyway, I was able to get it started, but it ran poorly. The left side cylinder mostly didn't fire, and would only kick in at higher RPM, and made a vicious clatter when it did. Certainly sounded like sticking valves. The valves are in a hemi-head layout, worked by pushrods, and have torsion bars for valve springs. I tried pouring various oils and solvents down its little 2-barrel carbatooter, but nothing seemed to help.

So I bought a spray can of Sea Foam engine cleaner-outer. Got the little motor fired up by priming it; there is no choke at all, and it was idling away on one cylinder. Spayed a little Sea Foam in the carb, and braaak, clatter, the other cylinder kicked in, and then quit again. Sprayed a bit more, and it kicked in, and stayed in, although there was still clatter. Sprayed a bit more, and the clatter eventually went away completely, and the engine idled smoothly, aside from a random miss in the right cylinder. I let it run for about 5 minutes, and shut it down. Will try it again tomorrow. I used less than half the can of Sea Foam, so if it's sticky again tomorrow, I can dose it up again.

But I was amazed at just how quickly, and how effectively the stuff worked. I will definitely be buying another can to administer to the TR6 I have down in Arizona, which also has a sticky valve issue.
      I had used Sea Foam in gasoline for some time thinking it was a preservative like Stabil. When I found out that it wasn't I quit using it. Several years later my generator with a 13 hp Honda engine wouldn't run smoothly- surged continuously. My neighbor told me to add a few ounces of Sea Foam to the tank. I had the Sea Foam and nothing to lose so I added the Sea Foam. Within 30 seconds the engines smoothed out beautifully.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Cute car.... Looks like it inspired the animators for the CARS animation movies...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Cute car.... Looks like it inspired the animators for the CARS animation movies...
          Thanks Jeff...saved me a Google search. And Gordon, I'm going to remember this next time I attempt to fire up a long sitting engine.

Also, Gord...if I go out to my barn and can't find any "fun"...could I count on you to e mail me some? You seem to have lots of it lying around.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here's a '54: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Panhard-Dyna-Z

Craig

Comment

Those Panhards were very interesting and well engineered. They competed at LeMans for many years, often winning the performance of efficiency award (not sure if that is the correct name) based on speed vs fuel used. They were amazingly fast for their size and engine displacement. They often had special bodies for use at LeMans.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Thanks Jeff...saved me a Google search. And Gordon, I'm going to remember this next time I attempt to fire up a long sitting engine.
                Also, if you have a Ford F150 with the 5.4 Triton engine where the plugs haven't been changed for a while, add a can of Seafoam to a few tankfulls of fuel before doing the change. It lessens the chance of a plug breaking upon removal which they were notorious for.

Craig

Comment

Sea Foam has more than one product. Some of it is a gasoline stabilizer and some is for other purposes. I did not realize this until I was looking at a display in a store. Be sure you get the right product.
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Great for older engines of all types, but it will void the warranty on equipment with a new Tier 4 Diesel if it can be proved it was in the fuel. New stuff with a DPF or that uses DEF. Just a heads up. If you get out of warranty.... Just speaking from experience. Any reason to blame sensor failures on fuel additives that can be found in warranty may well be used to deny a claim.

Comment

Pretty close. This one has more, uh, patina, shall we say. But interesting patina. Stickers for Shell 4000 retro rally, and La Carrera. It's light blue, with flat black hood. And being a "Tigre" model (more powerful engine). it has panels of faux tiger-skin vinyl in the upholstery, which is remarkably good.
                      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Seafoam is a great "additive". especially down the carb and in fuel tanks for carbed and FI vehicles. i've also had some success in the oil.

but for those that haven't used it down the carb - if you have close neighbors, you may want to do it at night since it smokes like all get out! when i lived in Wilmington NC, i got a drive-by from the FLFD (Friendly Local Fire Dept). the smoke had dissipated by the time they got there. after that, i scheduled all Seafoam carb procedures after dark!

EDIT: For Studebaker content in thread - i've used the product on all 3 of the Studebakers i've owned...
                        Last edited by Corvanti; 11-05-2016, 01:01 PM.
                        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Check the recent videos on "Jay Leno's Garage"; he has a Panard and speaks very highly of it. I can understand; an 850 cc opposed twin with pushrod operated valves which will outperform many much larger engines. Typically French ("quirky"), but exceptionally well engineered.

Comment

Working...
                          X