1950 Grill Mystery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Grill Mystery?

I'm wondering why the bottom two horizontal bars in the grill have a narrowed portion on the left side in this picture? Thanks, Tom

Click image for larger version

Name:	068.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1752056

Purely a guess on my part. Since, on my computer screen, the car looks to be modified and the grille painted instead of chrome, I'm thinking it could have been cut for clearance to accommodate some kind of "add-on," electric fan, oil cooler, trans cooler, etc.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

1950 Grilles came both ways.Either painted or chromed.
      I do not know if it was trim level or the Korean War chrome
      shortage even though that did not get critical until mid 1951.
      People restoring 1952 Studebakers found out about these parts that were very thinly chromed and than coated with clear lacquer.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

There is a vertical panel that runs across the bottom of the grill openings and the cut-outs are for clearance between that panel and the grill. 50 grills were chromed on just the leading edge and the rest of the vanes were painted silver.
        Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
        I'm wondering why the bottom two horizontal bars in the grill have a narrowed portion on the left side in this picture? Thanks, Tom

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59697[/ATTACH]
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
          50 grills were chromed on just the leading edge and the rest of the vanes were painted silver.
          Almost correct. The early 50 grilles were chromed all over and painted body color so that only the leading edges and about 1/16" back from the leading edge of the grille showed chrome. The headlight rings were painted.

The 53's had a combination of chrome and silver on the same piece and so did many later ones.

Some time in mid 1950 production, the grilles lost their chrome, but the headlight rings received chrome. Studebaker probably wanted to maximize the bang for their chrome buck.

Once the grilles lost their chrome, I do not know what color or how they were painted. Finding a 50 with original paint has been difficult for some time.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

You are correct on the body color on the grills. Guess I've seen so many painted silver that it became correct to me. My convertible is early enough to have the painted headlight doors and the riveted hubcap clips. However, it may get chrome on the headlights. Looks a bit more finished. Maybe have a painted set and a chrome set so I can change my mind.
            [QUOTE=RadioRoy;1021514]Almost correct. The early 50 grilles were chromed all over and painted body color so that only the leading edges and about 1/16" back from the leading edge of the grille showed chrome. The headlight rings were painted.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

What about the moulding around the grilles.
              I have seen them painted and chrome.
              What was correct?

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I've only seen chrome on the trim ring on two 1950's, one being the red convertible in the museum, and one at one of the national meets I attended. I think they are both incorrect, or there would be more that are chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
                  What about the moulding around the grilles.
                  I have seen them painted and chrome.
                  What was correct?

Robert Kapteyn
                  Painted. This molding was never chromed. That's my biggest beef with the convertible in the Studebaker museum.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

"Amelia," mostly original 1950 SLC painted grille shows no sign of ever having been plated. That includes the surrounds.

Comment

My 1950 Land Cruiser must have been a late production model. Had chrome headlamp surrounds with body colored grille panels.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I looked closer at my Champion grill today, and now I see the lower metal comes up and would hit the grill without the relief in the two lower fins.

Comment

Working...
                        X