Transmission Goo and other questions for 63 lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission Goo and other questions for 63 lark

I'm Hoping to put My 63 lark up on ramps this weekend and check/change all the assorted fluids. But, I don't have a clue what the proper gear oil for this beast is.

It's a 6 cylinder lark with a three speed manual transmission.

Also, I may have the opportunity to pick up a "Spare" transmission for this car but I'm having trouble tracking down compatibility. The guy selling it knows it came out of a 6 cylinder vehicle - because it's still bolted to a 6 cylinder engine - but hes not sure of the year.

Sorry .. . . I'm brand new to Studebakers.

Thanks

Regular 90-140 gear oil should work fine. If you also have overdrive check that plug also.

Comment

Do not use GL5 gear oil in transmissions. It is extreme pressure for rear ends. It will attack the brass synchronizer rings. Use 90w mineral oil or synchronizer transmission oil.

Comment

I have a good 3 sp overdrive out of a 1958 sliver hawk 30,000 mile car with a six I would let go cheap if someone needs it.
        Last edited by swvalcon; 11-04-2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

As long as your Lark is not a taxi version, you would need a T-96 long tail shaft transmission.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by Theonetruerat View Post
            /Cut/Also, I may have the opportunity to pick up a "Spare" transmission for this car but I'm having trouble tracking down compatibility. The guy selling it knows it came out of a 6 cylinder vehicle - because it's still bolted to a 6 cylinder engine - but hes not sure of the year. Sorry .. . . I'm brand new to Studebakers.Thanks
            If the Engine attached is an Overhead Valve Six, chances are good that it is the correct original Long Tail T-96 that has no bolted yoke on the back, but an opening for a slide-in driveshaft.

If it is a Flathead Six, it would need to be a '58 to '60 Model to have the Long Tail.

The "GL" Number is what is important not so much the SAE "Weight" the 85-90 Wt. GL-1 Gear Oil is available at NAPA Auto Parts & Tractor Supply Stores for Manual Transmissions.

The GL-5 is correct only for Differentials.

DOT3 or 4 for Brake Fluid or, if COMPLETELY rebuilding or replacing ALL components and thoroughly flushing the system, the very best option is the DOT5 Silicone.

It's an "OLD" Car, no different than any other "Old" U.S. Car!
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-04-2016, 01:09 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Wow .. . . Thank you for all that. I really need to track down a service manual for this car.

Comment

I'd be interested if I lived closer to Minnesota .. .

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                I have a good 3 sp overdrive out of a 1958 sliver hawk 30,000 mile car with a six I would let go cheap if someone needs it.

Comment

Working...
                X