Transtar 6E28 Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transtar 6E28 Parts

I've been thinking about acquiring a 1961 Transtar 1 1/2 ton truck as a shop project that I've stumbled upon. What are the parts availability like? I might be looking at doors and glass for the body, mechanically I have no clue.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Glass & mechanical parts are no problem; doors are pretty tough to find in good cond.

Comment

As Barry said, the drive train mechanicals and the glass are easy. Some truck-unique parts, like brakes, sometimes take a bit of effort. Good body parts are pricey.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Regardless, its sounds like an interesting truck, and if you have the space to keep it, go for it! What is the wheelbase?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Regardless, its sounds like an interesting truck, and if you have the space to keep it, go for it! What is the wheelbase?

Craig
          Hi Craig,

I believe the wheelbase is 131 but I am unsure from the pictures. I was thinking this might be a good fit to build a car carrier for my Hawk.

The information that I have is the serial number and body tag. The numbers are E28-7661 and 3E1530.

What exists today is a cab and chassis.... No box, No platform, No Stake.

If I can buy this truck, I would not mind finding a box for it and set it up for towing or securing a longer chassis to build a carrier.

Time will tel

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Hi Allen, the second number you posted is the engine number which indicates a truck 259. If you have access to the complete serial tag it contains a wealth of information (front axle rating, gear ratio, rear axle rating, wheelbase and brakes - heavy duty, standard or air). if you know Denton in the Burlington area, talk to him. He helped me get some items to restore my 6E-40-195 (which he now owns). I was able to get brake parts from Special Interest Cars in Oakville for it and sourced pieces from other local suppliers. There is a lot of activity on Studebaker Truck Talk (http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885) and lots of help freely given. A number of truck parts people are on frequently. If I had the space, I would still have that E-40.

Doug
            1963 Canadian Lark VY-6 4E2-122 Deluxe Scotsman

Bognor, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by s2d63lark View Post
              He helped me get some items to restore my 6E-40-195 (which he now owns). If I had the space, I would still have that E-40.
              I like that truck. It was interesting in that it was sold new in Canada, and was special ordered in Overland Express colors of the time.

Craig

Comment

Working...
              X