PDA

View Full Version : Transtar 6E28 Parts

studebaker-R2-4-me
11-01-2016, 11:23 PM
I've been thinking about acquiring a 1961 Transtar 1 1/2 ton truck as a shop project that I've stumbled upon. What are the parts availability like? I might be looking at doors and glass for the body, mechanically I have no clue.

Allen

TX Rebel
11-01-2016, 11:36 PM
Glass & mechanical parts are no problem; doors are pretty tough to find in good cond.

Skip Lackie
11-02-2016, 07:11 AM
As Barry said, the drive train mechanicals and the glass are easy. Some truck-unique parts, like brakes, sometimes take a bit of effort. Good body parts are pricey.

8E45E
11-02-2016, 07:31 AM
Regardless, its sounds like an interesting truck, and if you have the space to keep it, go for it! What is the wheelbase?

Craig

studebaker-R2-4-me
11-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Regardless, its sounds like an interesting truck, and if you have the space to keep it, go for it! What is the wheelbase?

Craig

Hi Craig,

I believe the wheelbase is 131 but I am unsure from the pictures. I was thinking this might be a good fit to build a car carrier for my Hawk.

The information that I have is the serial number and body tag. The numbers are E28-7661 and 3E1530.

What exists today is a cab and chassis.... No box, No platform, No Stake.

If I can buy this truck, I would not mind finding a box for it and set it up for towing or securing a longer chassis to build a carrier.

Time will tel

Allen

s2d63lark
11-02-2016, 08:33 PM
Hi Allen, the second number you posted is the engine number which indicates a truck 259. If you have access to the complete serial tag it contains a wealth of information (front axle rating, gear ratio, rear axle rating, wheelbase and brakes - heavy duty, standard or air). if you know Denton in the Burlington area, talk to him. He helped me get some items to restore my 6E-40-195 (which he now owns). I was able to get brake parts from Special Interest Cars in Oakville for it and sourced pieces from other local suppliers. There is a lot of activity on Studebaker Truck Talk (http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885) and lots of help freely given. A number of truck parts people are on frequently. If I had the space, I would still have that E-40.

Doug

8E45E
11-03-2016, 06:35 AM
He helped me get some items to restore my 6E-40-195 (which he now owns). If I had the space, I would still have that E-40.

I like that truck. It was interesting in that it was sold new in Canada, and was special ordered in Overland Express colors of the time.

Craig