No announcement yet.

Question about 1956 and 1957 president sedan overdrive transmissions t85/R11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 1956 and 1957 president sedan overdrive transmissions t85/R11

I was looking in the 55-58 chassis parts book tonight, and i noticed something that I had not realized before.

I always assumed that ALL 1956 and 57 president sedan models came with a 289 v8, AND the T85/OD as the standard transmission option with OD.

Looking in the parts manual i confirmed that all 56H and 57H models come standard with a 289, but I was surprised to see that the t86 looks to be either the available and or preferred option as long as the "Y" long wheelbase car was not ordered (or heavy duty, police, or taxi option).

I am reaching out to the masses here, are the t85/OD's common in these cars, or rare to find?

Interested in hearing back from people on what you have seen.
    54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert

I came to the same realization as you back in the 60's. Looking under many Presidents and finding t86's. Only found 1 T85 and I bought it and the bell housing too.

Comment

So standard on the long wheelbase and heavy duty, but not on the short wheelbase Presidents?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Yes, that is how the chassis parts manual makes it appear. Long wheelbase and heavy duty only.
        54 Champion coupe
        48 Champion Convert

Comment

The 1956 President Classic was 6 " longer and had vent windows in the rear doors.
          These cars also have 5" wide wheel rims as did the 1956 Golden Hawks.
          Robert Kapteyn

Comment

That also agrees with the several '56 and '57 President Classics I have salvaged the T-85 O.D.'s from and also Classics I have seen.

Most of these you find at Swap Meets and for sale are the much more common T-89's for Trucks with the "T-85" Case, but non-Bevel Cut, Lower Geared 1st. and Second Gears, different Cluster Gears etc.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 11-01-2016, 08:07 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The T85 was also used on the Golden Hawk models of the same years but the imput shaft for the 1956 is different for use with the Packard engine. Ford also used the T85 in the same era but again the imput shaft is different but some folks might have the shafts for the Studebaker application. Good luck on finding one; I do know of a few here in Tucson.

Bob Miles
              Tucson AZ

Comment

The T 85 transmission was a heavy duty transmission that was used in some 1956-58 Presidents and Golden Hawks.
                In 1958 when Studebaker went to a one piece drive shaft , they used a long case T85 in the manual shift Golden Hawks and Packard Hawks.
                I have one of these for sale new in the original Studebaker crate. with the associated clutch parts but no shift linkages.I also stock the rear seals for the short case T85.

Robert Kapteyn
                Last edited by rkapteyn; 11-02-2016, 07:35 AM.

Comment

To further our education, can anyone list the years for Studebaker-Packards known to have the T85 with the short tailshaft fixed yoke transmission and those with the long tailshaft sliding yoke?

Ford also used the T85 in the same era
                  And many more:

1957-'66 AMC V8s
                  1965-'69 Jeep J-series 4WD pickups
                  1963-'67 Jeep 4WD Wagoneer and Cherokee V-8s
                  1965-'71 Ford truck V8s
                  1955-'58 Packard
                  1962-'64 Plymouth with 413 or 426 engine
                  1964-'65 Buick V8s
                  1960 Dodge Dart, Matador and Polara V8s
                  1956-57 Studebaker President Classic and Golden Hawk
                  1959-64 Studebaker 289" V8 trucks
                  1957 Nash Ambassador V-8s
                  1957 Hudson V-8s
                  1958 Edsel V8s
                  1955-'57 Mercury
                  1958-'64 Pontiac except Tempest
                  1962-'63 Oldsmobile 88/98

Some of these were straight 3-speeds with no overdrive option.

Are we correct in that Studebaker equipped some taxi, police and trucks with the straight 3-speed T85?

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Looking at the chassis book for 55-58 Studebaker/ 56-57 Packard, it does not appear that it was possible to get a non overdrive t85.

As far as the short versus Long tail on the overdrive. It appears that some 1958 models were built with short tail and long tail housings within 1958 model year (58H and 58L).
                    54 Champion coupe
                    48 Champion Convert

Comment

Originally posted by 54stude View Post
                      Looking at the chassis book for 55-58 Studebaker/ 56-57 Packard, it does not appear that it was possible to get a non overdrive t85.

As far as the short versus Long tail on the overdrive. It appears that some 1958 models were built with short tail and long tail housings within 1958 model year (58H and 58L).
                      That can't be possible, once the change was made to the Bodies and Chassis for the one piece Driveshaft there was no turning back, all would have to be Long Tail.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

That assumes that they synchronized the chassis change with the model year, and not running out of the short tail transmissions or driveshafts. What I said could be true if they made even 1 short tail 1958. I am just reporting what my original nor reprinted chassis part manual says.
                        54 Champion coupe
                        48 Champion Convert

Comment

"Are we correct in that Studebaker equipped some taxi, police and trucks with the straight 3-speed T85?

jack vines"

Yes, the '62 taxi I had briefly a couple of years ago had a 289, with non-overdrive T85 in it.
                          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by 54stude View Post
                            What I said could be true if they made even 1 short tail 1958.
                            If they did- it would certainly be an oddball...

Think about what would be needed to build it. The two piece driveshaft and the chassis mod for same would be enough of a deal killer that I'm sure they would'a figured a way around having to do so. Have stranger things happened? Sure.
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

I've always felt the short tail T/85 with o/d was a better & stronger unit than the long tail version.....The same is true on the short/long T-86 with o/d units.

Comment

Working...
                              X