car seems to just shut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: car seems to just shut down

I had my 58 hawk tuned recently and it was running great. I also added rebuilt 4br. carb for the 289. My last job was having the entire wiring harness replaced,now the problem. In the past few weeks on a several occassions while driving the engine just shut off. No noise,no shaking just quit like you turned off the key. Wonder is it timing ,electrical, or fuel? Will be going to the mechanic but would like to have an idea of whats wrong before then . Thanks

Check if the ignition wires on #5 and #7 are not routed together.
    #1and #5 would be under one clip and#3 and #7 should be under the other clip.
    This prevent cross firing between #5 and#7 cylinders which can stop the engine especially when idling.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

My neighbor's 50 Champion would die without warning, and I found the points wire had rubbed through the insulation and was shorting to the distributor body.

Comment

Need more info: Does it die at idle, or higher RPM, such as when underway. Doe it restart immediately, in a few minutes, or do you need to call for a tow? When restarted, does it crank for awhile, or fire right up? How about when normally starting it up, for the first time? When it restarts, does it produce black or blue smoke?

Comment

When it quits....
          Put your hand on the body of the coil.
          If it is too hot for you to hold your hand there, it is a bad coil.
          What is your voltage to the coil?
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My first guess would be a power interruption to the gin coil of a problem in the distributor/ points???? You are describing an instant failure of the entire engine like it was shut off ????
            The new harness is a prime suspect as I see it.

Comment

when moving but when let off gas or light on gas starts right up does not crank for any period, no smoke. Has electronic ignition installed before i purchased car. will also check ignition wires as they are new.

Comment

OK, a little slow here, exactly when do you notice it isn't running anymore. Coming to a stop or when driving under constant throttle pressure? if you had an electronic test light{ thats one that doesn't draw current but only indicates the presence of voltage or a VOM you could attach it to the power side of the coil to see if it is still hot when it dies. The process of elimination can be helpful.

Comment

has happened when letting off the gas as you are coming to a stop. I found that five and seven were on same clip,moved them. Let car run at idle and checked coil it was not hot. Will see what happens,with nice weather in new england still driving the car.

Comment

But coming to a stop with your foot off the gas is when it dies? You only notice it by trying to step on the gas with no response?

Comment

Bob Mulhern;
                      As others have said I would suspect a electrical problem due to the newly installed wiring harness. It could be as simple as a loose connection.
                      The engine shutting down as you let off the gas lends more credence to it being an electrical problem. The engine moves a little from its running position as you let off the gas. When the engine stops does it start right back up or?
                      Ron

Comment

My bet is the electronic ignition installed by a PO. Runs great, engine dies, restarts fine runs fine, engine stops. You didn't indicate whether a conversion module in the original (Pertronix etc) or a complete distributor( with Chrysler internals). If a Pertronix, reinstall points and condenser and wire coil back to factory wiring. Goes away-module bad-very common.

Comment

My Lark did that on the highway twice. When I turned the key off and back on, it would start right up. Replaced ignition switch 20 years ago it never happened again.
                          Last edited by doug; 11-02-2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

While on this subject of running #5 and #7 wires together. I can understand that 40-60 years ago but modern wires should not have the same interference problems can they?

Comment

Originally posted by 55coupe View Post
                              While on this subject of running #5 and #7 wires together. I can understand that 40-60 years ago but modern wires should not have the same interference problems can they?
                              It has nothing to do with the insulation or quality of the wires.
                              It is induction , just like windings in a transformer induce current in the secondary coil by induction.
                              No physical connection and no sparks jumping over.
                              Google it.
                              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Working...
                              X